Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Oregon State

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Itraz might be a prick, but he seems to be correct on a lot of things.
I agree... but I separate posts in threads from "in game" commenting in the box. When it becomes crystal clear from a first comment like "the ball isn't on the tee quite right, our Coach suks" before the opening kick off, I drew a line. :lol:

For me, when the game starts, I'm a fukkin fan, period. Critique can come later, like in the 3rd Quarter!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cover, just want to personally thank you for coming back and finishing out the season under these circumstances. I would expect that there are going to be a number of people that won't be around much this offseason, a lot more than past years.
Thanks Ox. Being a Gator isn’t for the faint of heart! It’s also easy to waiver when you see friends, fellow fans, even family in some cases loosing their shti and turning on each other when bad things that we know or should know are going to happen start happening under a new coach and staff. I waivered, but then as I thought about it, quitting something I really enjoy was no more of a plan than hope is. Sometimes eyes front, keep marching is the best you’ve got.

Maybe I’ve got an advantage. I’ve had two brushes with death, one with a cancer diagnosis that required a ton of chemo that I got past and the other having my colon rupture after a wreck and having to have emergency surgery to have a foot and a half of the colon and my spleen removed before the sepsis did me in. So, while an extended bleak stretch of Gator football is frustrating, it isn’t shti to me, comparatively speaking. Lord willing I’ll still be here pulling when the worm turns and I plan to still be offering my thoughts and some Midol to those who can’t endure the pain :lol:

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I agree... but I separate posts in threads from "in game" commenting in the box. When it becomes crystal clear from a first comment like "the ball isn't on the tee quite right, our Coach suks" before the opening kick off, I drew a line. :lol:

“Back to back weeks of calling ‘tails’ and once again on the losing end. Zero growth.”

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
Thanks Ox. Being a Gator isn’t for the faint of heart! It’s also easy to waiver when you see friends, fellow fans, even family in some cases loosing their shti and turning on each other when bad things that we know or should know are going to happen start happening under a new coach and staff. I waivered, but then as I thought about it, quitting something I really enjoy was no more of a plan than hope is. Sometimes eyes front, keep marching is the best you’ve got.

Maybe I’ve got an advantage. I’ve had two brushes with death, one with a cancer diagnosis that required a ton of chemo that I got past and the other having my colon rupture after a wreck and having to have emergency surgery to have a foot and a half of the colon and my spleen removed before the sepsis did me in. So, while an extended bleak stretch of Gator football is frustrating, it isn’t shti to me, comparatively speaking. Lord willing I’ll still be here pulling when the worm turns and I plan ti still be offering my thoughts and some Midol to those who can’t endure the pain :lol:
Fortunately Cover, we 'ol farts know this drill all too well...3 stents & 24 years after the MI following the '98 FloTate loss, I R still HERE,,,Go Gators... :jog:

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you or taking up for Billy, but what specifically should Billy have done under the circumstances of this game to produce a different outcome? I asked this earlier in the thread and have seen no response other than the generic “he should’ve done something different.” Take into consideration the bowl roster. You’ll also have the benefit of hindsight since the game has been played and watched. I also want to be clear that I’m not trying to be an @sshole, but I simply want to know what fans are thinking on a schematic level and not just knee-jerking over a terrible outing on the heels of a meh season.
Well, taking the limitations of the bowl game, there were options like quick passes that would back off the 8 man box and blitzes. Besides that, I could think of some other things, but I am not a high level coach, but I assumed one we were paying this much could make some adjustments.

But to the FSU game, there is no accounting for the third quarter change of scheme. That was inexcusable.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well, taking the limitations of the bowl game, there were options like quick passes that would back off the 8 man box and blitzes. Besides that, I could think of some other things, but I am not a high level coach, but I assumed one we were paying this much could make some adjustments.

But to the FSU game, there is no accounting for the third quarter change of scheme. That was inexcusable.
Thanks for responding. Like several teams determined during the season, they were going to make our QB beat them with his arm. Gotta have an executable answer when the box is +1 or greater.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Cover, just want to personally thank you for coming back and finishing out the season under these circumstances. I would expect that there are going to be a number of people that won't be around much this offseason, a lot more than past years.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
+1 always makes the box crowded.

Receivers too slow and not physical enough for quick hits? Used to that practice cushion

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
You do that every game based on the players you have available. Even medicare coaches adapt to the players on hand. That is why we had good first and second year results from the last three coaches. And why we didn't get good results this year. It was painfully obvious CBN was trying to force a square peg in a round hole and had no idea what to do other than pound harder.
This is spot on. The last two yahoos did whatever they had to do to make a good first impression (keep some questionable locker room distractions, bring in some sketchy talent, etc.). Napier warned us the first season wouldn't be about wins and loses but about laying the foundation for future winning. He proved this by letting some talent go like Cox and clearing out most all of the lazy, entitled players.

I do like that we have a vacuum of talent right now. So many positions wide open for 5*'s that want to start right away.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you or taking up for Billy, but what specifically should Billy have done under the circumstances of this game to produce a different outcome? I asked this earlier in the thread and have seen no response other than the generic “he should’ve done something different.” Take into consideration the bowl roster. You’ll also have the benefit of hindsight since the game has been played and watched. I also want to be clear that I’m not trying to be an @sshole, but I simply want to know what fans are thinking on a schematic level and not just knee-jerking over a terrible outing on the heels of a meh season.
Who was missing on offense besides AR and O'Cyrus?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Who was missing on offense besides AR and O'Cyrus?
Don’t remember, but we weren’t really spectacular or consistent with them toward the end and Torrence was a very good OL. I will say that I saw Miller make a couple of nice throws, though he was either running for his life or late with the ball on a lot of his snaps. The real answer, to me, regarding who are what was missing was a group of receivers that could stretch the field and require the secondary to respect them, along with the hands to catch the ones right at them and the athleticism to snag a few that weren’t dead on target. Also a QB that could get the ball to them or near them consistently. In AR’s case he was either hot or cold, not much in the middle. Miller wasn’t a guy who was going to come in and change the game.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I've mentioned before that BN is stubborn to a fault and he proved it again in the Bowl. It didn't look like any effort was made to game plan to Miller's strengths, whatever they are, and I didn't see any obvious adjustments during the game. I think the ability to make in game adjustments is what seperates average from Great game day coaches. Right now we have a very average coaching staff.

1671484402962.png

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
I've mentioned before that BN is stubborn to a fault and he proved it again in the Bowl. It didn't look like any effort was made to game plan to Miller's strengths, whatever they are, and I didn't see any obvious adjustments during the game. I think the ability to make in game adjustments is what seperates average from Great game day coaches. Right now we have a very average coaching staff.

View attachment 52502

This is bs, we used 6 of our 8 plays. We only omitted a couple bubbles after the jet got jacked. :thug:

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Miller wasn’t a guy who was going to come in and change the game.
Wasn't really hoping for a game changer. I would have settled for a single drive resulting in a TD. It's not like we were facing Bama or UGA's defense. With fantastic RB's like ETN and Johnson we still couldn't manage a single scoring drive? It was a pathetic display of offense even for a team missing some parts. You should still be able to score at least once with your backup QB and a single missing lineman, not to mention two weeks of practice, but we didn't.... No one can say why. I think I know why, and if Billy-boy doesn't go out an get a real SEC-caliber OC, he ain't winning sh!t at Florida, right.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Egor's Assistant :

“With fantastic RB's like ETN and Johnson we still couldn't manage a single scoring drive?”

You didn’t watch the line play, did you? Or what the Beavers’ D was doing with their front 7/8? You didn’t see Miller getting sacked or running for his life? You didn’t see our punter kick one off of one of our player’s @ss? I guess Billy could have thrown it every down, might’ve scored, might not. Probably give up 50+ and a meltdown that would make the one we’re currently in the midst of look like an ice cube next to an ice berg.

I have no doubt that his plan was to run it more than 50% and hopefully control the clock, stay close, and have a chance to win in the 4th quarter. When that got shut down by a numerical advantage, he/we were f’d because there was no way in hell Miller and our patchwork receiving corps was going to run up and down the field. Hell we couldn’t throw it much anywhere. And before it gets brought up, yes, it’s on Billy. But even the Bear knew you couldn’t make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

Billy’s got a long to do list. First and foremost is getting better players and more of them, then coaching them into a competitive team. I agree that he should hire an OC (other than Rob Sale), but whoever would’ve been coaching our group the other night was going to have their hands full.

So how about let’s see if he can figure out this whole re-rostering thing through signing day and the portal? Sorry to come across kinda testy, but I’m just back from the dermatologist having my face broiled with some red light treatment and I’m about tired of the whining and mully-grubbing. Please accept my apologies while considering what I’m telling you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator