Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Oregon State

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
It seems many of us old timers are not panicking. We've seen worse.

Napier is building something special. But can they/he coach?
I am not sure I follow. If one can't coach then how exactly does one build something special? Just b/c we have a new building that as OX has pointed out should have been built 15 years ago when people would have fallen over each other to give money but FOOLEY was too STOOPID to pounce, that is building something special? Getting a staff of 4,000 people is building something special? Perhaps UGA fans consider that Richt built something special with 8, 9 or 10 wins, but just could not coach? I am of the belief that if you can't coach, you can build whatever you like, but nothing will be considered special. Game day areas of coaching can be seen by all far and wide, almost regardless of roster. I think many would be less quick to judge if they felt the coaching aspect appeared to be there. If that changes, then great. But based on the eyeball test, it is not there. So without coaching ability, only average things can be built.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Sure wasn’t an SEC roster. Whether it’s Billy, the next guy in line, or whoever, it’s doubtful those roster numbers are going to improve dramatically for next year. Meaning that our success will depend mostly on the development between now and September as well as the expected coaching improvements in the three phases. What are our realistic chances?
Not good.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
I was fine with Billy until the LSU game where he ran out the clock on our own team instead of trying to score before the half when losing by 7. The rest of the year just went down the pipe. He can't coach so the recruiting angle and some kind of intervention (Stricklin?) to force a OC and DC on him is our chance going forward. Get the headset off him, put him in the skybox and let good coaches run with his recruits. Gonna take some time. Never felt this down and I had season tix to the 0-10-1 year (actually it ended on an up note almost punking the top-ranked noles). Time to breathe it's just a damn game.

Thanks for coming back in Cover, the place needs your sanity cause none of the rest of it makes much sense.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I was fine with Billy until the LSU game where he ran out the clock on our own team instead of trying to score before the half when losing by 7. The rest of the year just went down the pipe. He can't coach so the recruiting angle and some kind of intervention (Stricklin?) to force a OC and DC on him is our chance going forward. Get the headset off him, put him in the skybox and let good coaches run with his recruits. Gonna take some time. Never felt this down and I had season tix to the 0-10-1 year (actually it ended on an up note almost punking the top-ranked noles). Time to breathe it's just a damn game.

Thanks for coming back in Cover, the place needs your sanity cause none of the rest of it makes much sense.

That’s many of us. There was some serious grumbling that night as most of us filed out before the Petty garbage. It was surprising to me how dejected so many were, just 7 games in. But there was “we’ve seen this episode before” look on a lot of peoples’ faces. I do think that was his first big black eye with the fans.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Off topic, I didn’t realize the stadium in Las Vegas has both artificial turf and grass.

The Raiders played on grass today.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
I’ll probably start watching high school more.
I already do and they obviously play some pretty good football here in the Atlanta area as evidenced by where some of the recent 4 & 5 * players are recruited.
BWTFDIK...go Gators... :jog:

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
There's an old saw the says: " you game-plan and call plays for the players you have, not the one's you wish you had". Too bad we don't participate in that plan.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
There's an old saw the says: " you game-plan and call plays for the players you have, not the one's you wish you had". Too bad we don't participate in that plan.
There is also the thought if you keep changing how do players develop. Did the NFL adapt to Tebow? For one season and then what? Why?

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
This. I don't care what scheme you want to run on defense. You adapt that scheme to what your players can do well. Same with play calling.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
This. I don't care what scheme you want to run on defense. You adapt that scheme to what your players can do well. Same with play calling.
Do you do that with a bunch of player you know are gone?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What trait do all successful coaches share? Stubbornness!

What trait do all unsuccessful caches share? Stubbornness!

The fact that BN is stubborn about making changes shouldn't surprise anyone.

This years results are definately not what was wanted or needed but the results are warranted! We are just what our record says we are, middle of the pak!

Next year should show improvement, if not.......... get ready to move on and pay another multi-million dollar buy-out!

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Well, yes! Every season you have new players with different skill sets. The coaches certainly target the skill sets they want but don't always succeed. So you have to adjust your preferred scheme to fit the talent on hand. The players he inherited are who they were. Many are now gone so we will see if the O and D schemes the coaches prefer work better with more of their guys. We were not flexible last season, in fact we were stubborn and predictable. We will know all we need to know by this time next season.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
You do that every game based on the players you have available. Even medicare coaches adapt to the players on hand. That is why we had good first and second year results from the last three coaches. And why we didn't get good results this year. It was painfully obvious CBN was trying to force a square peg in a round hole and had no idea what to do other than pound harder.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You do that every game based on the players you have available. Even medicare coaches adapt to the players on hand. That is why we had good first and second year results from the last three coaches. And why we didn't get good results this year. It was painfully obvious CBN was trying to force a square peg in a round hole and had no idea what to do other than pound harder.
I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you or taking up for Billy, but what specifically should Billy have done under the circumstances of this game to produce a different outcome? I asked this earlier in the thread and have seen no response other than the generic “he should’ve done something different.” Take into consideration the bowl roster. You’ll also have the benefit of hindsight since the game has been played and watched. I also want to be clear that I’m not trying to be an @sshole, but I simply want to know what fans are thinking on a schematic level and not just knee-jerking over a terrible outing on the heels of a meh season.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Cover, just want to personally thank you for coming back and finishing out the season under these circumstances. I would expect that there are going to be a number of people that won't be around much this offseason, a lot more than past years.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you or taking up for Billy, but what specifically should Billy have done under the circumstances of this game to produce a different outcome? I asked this earlier in the thread and have seen no response other than the generic “he should’ve done something different.” Take into consideration the bowl roster. You’ll also have the benefit of hindsight since the game has been played and watched. I also want to be clear that I’m not trying to be an @sshole, but I simply want to know what fans are thinking on a schematic level and not just knee-jerking over a terrible outing on the heels of a meh season.
Next year will tell us A LOT

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
That’s many of us. There was some serious grumbling that night as most of us filed out before the Petty garbage. It was surprising to me how dejected so many were, just 7 games in. But there was “we’ve seen this episode before” look on a lot of peoples’ faces. I do think that was his first big black eye with the fans.
That was me... but I continued to berate Itraz while walking back to Daughter's apartment, and well after that too. I'm not a total quitter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator