Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. South Carolina

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I'm late getting to your always excellent commentary, kudos as usual! On Trask running he only was called to run on two plays. CDM usually does in all the games I've watched him coach. On the first play I thought the opposing player made an outstanding play and even the very best back has fumbled. The second time I thought was a little bit of gamesmanship by Mullen and it worked!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Amen. He got a shout from the ESPN announcers for helping on one boundary throw. Not sure whether he left his coverage to help when the ball was thrown (kinda doubt it) or whether he was assigned with helping over the top, but he was late and under / behind the receiver.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I appreciate it. That little rub to Whittemore was nice. Would love to see some more of that kind of simple yet effective stuff. The Cocks killed us a couple of times on swings to the back (they knew our backers were dead in that match up) and even threw a nice little circle route to the back. Do what you do, but don’t be afraid to take what they give you.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That was it. Recognition is the key word. We used to spend a couple of periods on route recognition and communication every day, General early on and then specific to the scouting report. Ask Dexter Jackson about late recognition and response in ‘97! In the coverage you mention, if Marco was free, we used to would have him sink with the QB drop. I know when we (UF) are playing 1 or 2 high, our safeties tend to squat from time to time. This tells me there’s problems with recognizing routes and combos, causing the feet to freeze. That’s when they get run past.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
our safeties tend to squat from time to time.
They were squatting so often I had to rewind to see if they were robber plays but the squat areas made no sense for a robber. I agree. Just stuck in the brain funk and not prepared. Looking the wrong way, usually in the backfield it seems.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Do what you do, but don’t be afraid to take what they give you.

This is a great point C2, because Mullen says this all the time about what his QBs should do, but he has (historically) rarely done the same from a coaching/play calling/offense installation perspective.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I appreciate it. That little rub to Whittemore was nice.
I appreciate the effort. Think he reached for that inside DB. He cant do that. Then he threw his innocent hands up. Perhaps they missed it or thought it didnt matter by then.

Still the coaches must think enough of him to have him out there. Even he stays in the Grimes Zone, a step above failure but by no means a 5* game changer, then we received a useful piece for depth at least.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
At 250 lbs Carter has no business playing inside. What little snaps he got on the end, he looked pretty good to me.

Carter is 290+, he was 285 last year (but the roster listed him at 265). He's not the problem - but he should be playing SDE, not DT.

I saw Lee on this sideline, he did a chest bump w/ Carter after the sack towards the end of the 2nd quarter. We need any combination of Lee, Humphries, and/or Goods getting some reps at DT, also Dante Lang, who played one snap. If these guys can get 10-20 reps a game (combined) it saves Slaton and fills the absence of Campbell. If Campbell returns, I think the DL will greatly improve.....but that still doesn't fix the LBs and secondary.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I re-watched the game just now, it seems after we took the 38-14 lead w/ 4+ minutes left in the 3rd quarter we just got complacent - and let SC run the clock, and score a few points to make it look respectable. We should have tacked on another score, but got shut out in the 4th quarter (mostly because our sh*tty defense couldn't get off the field).

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Putting this weekend in perspective, using the law of averages, we held USCe under 4 yards per play which last year we it was barely under 5. It's not great but we're no where near the Big 12 comparisons some people are throwing out. Our biggest problem is we can't get off the field on third and fourth down. The biggest positional issues I see with our defense is DT, LB, and secondary play.

I think the one that drives me nuts the most is watching our safeties and corners play 7-10 yards off when only needing 1-5 yards for a first down. We also have multiple guys playing out of position. I know he's young but if Campbell isn't coming back, you use Dexter/Slaton inside only and move Carter over on the edge and replace Moon with Chatfield. Put Burney on the bench and use both Houston and Miller unless it's a for sure passing down. We've played far too much soft zone this year as well; man up and try to bring pressure. The secondary rotation should only consist of Elam, Marco, Davis, Stewart, Hill, Kimbrough. The rest should sit. The fact of the matter is we're undersized and that is because we missed too much on recruiting 2/3 years ago. That won't change this year so something will have to be figured out.

Offensively, Trask just needs to play within himself; he tried to do some things this weekend that isn't the strong point of his game. Take the intermediate throws and for the love of god, throw the ball away if nothing is there. OL has been good; Hev is earning his money this year and I was happy to see Shorter get some run this weekend. Wright is probably taking too many snaps at RB with Pierce needing more. Should be an interesting game this weekend.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Funny how I pointed out the only corner playing worth a damn is Jaydon Hill and I got ridiculed for it. Now he’s listed as a starter. The film doesn’t lie. He’s been the only corner consistently playing well. I stand by that. No matter how much every one wants to crown Elam. He’s not playing as well as Jaydon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator