Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. South Carolina

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sure seems like the overall tone of the game changed on the interception. Prior to that we had just scored a couple more TDs and gotten a fumble and a punt out of the cawks. Looked to me like Trask was throwing to a spot and Toney slipped coming out of his break which let the ball sail into the arms of the defender, who I still think dropped the ball and we should have had the play reviewed.

While I agree with a lot of the scheme and personnel points made about the defense, IMO everything looks a hell of a lot better if we can just do a better job of tackling. Just way too many yards after contact.

The long drive by the cawks at the end of the game was frustrating to watch but probably a lot of it was situational. Looked like we were giving even more cushion than normal trying to prevent giving up a big play knowing they needed two scores to tie, which let them dink and dunk their way down the field but also chew up the entire clock. Even if they converted that 4th down play for a TD, the game was over. Cover and I were talking about predictions before the game and we both agreed it would be something like 35-21 and that's pretty much what we got.

Overall I have to agree this isn't a championship team because of the defense, more so because of talent/depth than scheme IMO.
Spot on about the tackling. It gets very frustrating when guys are getting to the ball, but the ball carrier breaks free, often from multiple attempts, for positive gains. Part of the problem yesterday was our front seven either can’t get off blocks (DL) or are slow to diagnose the play and get cut off (LBs) more often than should reasonably be expected.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I seem to recall Florida playing Greenard and Zuniga together, when healthy last year.
Zuniga is more of a pure end, more akin to Carter.

But yes, I would have only played one of the flyweight ends even last year, until a passing down. Also, Greenard was more like 265. Not a match for a 320 pound OT, but still way better than 240.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Spot on about the tackling. It gets very frustrating when guys are getting to the ball, but the ball carrier breaks free, often from multiple attempts, for positive gains. Part of the problem yesterday was our front seven either can’t get off blocks (DL) or are slow to diagnose the play and get cut off (LBs) more often than should reasonably be expected.

Our DL also gets held on every play.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Our DL also gets held on every play.
That’s blocking these days :). They have to be strong enough and quick enough to defeat two hands full of cloth, at least enough for the official to see the jersey stretch, or they’re in the wrong sport. Young and / or light DLs find this out early.

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The can call holding on every play on every team. Really, only BAD holding gets called. It is what it is.

I understand that but it seems like we never get any relief from officials, it's almost like they have a grunge or something, did someone piss in their cereal?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Young and / or light DLs find this out early.
I guess Im somewhat ok with signing a guy at 240 pounds. There is no excuse for a Rushbacker/DE staying at 240 though. Even a year later they should be 250 ish plus with 265 being the goal.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Greenard played the run well and he was always motoring through contact
He was a senior with experience and a tremendous amount of “want to.” I believe we’ll have some guys get there...eventually. Trouble is, we need ‘em now.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Thanks AR. I recall the play. Gouraige’s G scheme should have him kicking the backside end for Toney to run underneath after jabbing and cutting back. I believe the guy who blew the play up beat the cut off / wall by the backside OG. Usually when that happens, the defender’s key is to “get in the G scheme’s hip pocket” before the next guy in can get a hand or pad on you. At least that’s the way it used to be taught. I don’t believe it was any kind of influence by Gouraige. I’ll look for this play again to be sure, but I believe that’s what happened.
Thanks. Would it be entirely wrong to say that Gouraige missed his block?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks. Would it be entirely wrong to say that Gouraige missed his block?
I’ll have to try and find that one to know for sure. I just can’t remember precisely. But I do remember Gouriage coming down the line from left side to right.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wish the game were a blowout, but at no point was I worried we'd lose. In fact, I was laughing at times during South Carolina's last drive because it was Muschamp being Muschamp.

If he would have tried to score somewhat quickly like every other coach, then I feel confident we would have scored again and kept the game out of reach. I haven't thought that about our offense and over a decade, so that's something. I also believe Muschamp thought that too, which is why he was content to run out the clock and not let us cover the spread like the loser he is.

Yes, there are concerns and weaknesses on this team, but we still will be the favorites in all of our regular season games, with uga being the one possible exception. We still have a better shot at the SEC and playoffs then we've had in a decade. Hopefully, the coaches will learn from their mistakes, adjust, and improve as the season continues. A little bit of luck going our way wouldn't hurt either.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
This season is gonna be more 07 than 08. After watching a&m and dwags yesterday, Im not real confident we win next week and unless our D is significantly better by the time dwags come around, that game could get ugly.

There's honestly no excuse for how bad this D is. Even our worst coaches consistently ran out solid defensive groups. It's almost automatic to have a top 10 to 12 defense at UF. Im at a loss for what is happening in practice. Some of these kids look like they get worse with more time in the system. What the hell is this staff doing?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
NastyGrimCapeghostfrog-size_restricted.gif

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
This season is gonna be more 07 than 08. After watching a&m and dwags yesterday, Im not real confident we win next week and unless our D is significantly better by the time dwags come around, that game could get ugly.

There's honestly no excuse for how bad this D is. Even our worst coaches consistently ran out solid defensive groups. It's almost automatic to have a top 10 to 12 defense at UF. Im at a loss for what is happening in practice. Some of these kids look like they get worse with more time in the system. What the hell is this staff doing?

It flummoxes the hell out of me.

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'll give a like just for "flummoxes"!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays