Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. South Carolina

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
I am re-watching the AnM game and noticing how good Pierce is. He was a powerfull back last year. This year he is making better cuts.

I was rewatching the parts of the game I missed an noticed it looks like Pierce is 15-20 lbs lighter than last year. He looks 220 but he still wants to run like he is 240. He flat ran over the LB and sent his helmet flying. Looks fast and quick but with a FB mentality. I remember watching him on ST a couple years ago. Dude is the first one down the field laying wood. One of my favorite players of all time. Dude is a lunchbox and hard hat type of guy. Just has a dogged determination that I love.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018

Cant remember if they were in a 3 or 4 man front. Better for the LG and C to double the nose to make it look like an inside zone run to the right. The LG can then bail to the backer on the right side. The LT gets the middle backer. RG pulls and kicks the end, the TE pulls and gets whoever is left in the hole, which would ordinarily be the #1 backer. We had 7 in the box, which would dictate the defense to have 6. You can run against that. If they stack it, Trask pulls and throws as an RPO, even if its a solid call. It would help if the slot to the left would bubble out to pull the DB away from the run. If the DB bails and attacks the run, you throw the bubble next time and you have one guy to beat with a WR blocker in front of you. This should be pretty simple stuff and no matter what the defense does, they are wrong.

We ran a counter play a lot, but it looked like Tony ran too deep after the hand off (3 steps), the TE looked slow coming across. It should be one step with his right foot after hand off, then cut behind the TE into the 5 hole. Gouraige is the LG IIRC? Its either a bad block design (something I have wondered about and have been critical about with this offense), or the LG just whiffed. It didn't look like the DT was slanting that way.

I should have prefaced all this by saying I haven't slow mo'd the tape down and spent hours studying the film. Just a sideline speed view of the film and some things that jumped out.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Putting this weekend in perspective, using the law of averages, we held USCe under 4 yards per play which last year we it was barely under 5. It's not great but we're no where near the Big 12 comparisons some people are throwing out. Our biggest problem is we can't get off the field on third and fourth down. The biggest positional issues I see with our defense is DT, LB, and secondary play.

I think the one that drives me nuts the most is watching our safeties and corners play 7-10 yards off when only needing 1-5 yards for a first down. We also have multiple guys playing out of position. I know he's young but if Campbell isn't coming back, you use Dexter/Slaton inside only and move Carter over on the edge and replace Moon with Chatfield. Put Burney on the bench and use both Houston and Miller unless it's a for sure passing down. We've played far too much soft zone this year as well; man up and try to bring pressure. The secondary rotation should only consist of Elam, Marco, Davis, Stewart, Hill, Kimbrough. The rest should sit. The fact of the matter is we're undersized and that is because we missed too much on recruiting 2/3 years ago. That won't change this year so something will have to be figured out.

Offensively, Trask just needs to play within himself; he tried to do some things this weekend that isn't the strong point of his game. Take the intermediate throws and for the love of god, throw the ball away if nothing is there. OL has been good; Hev is earning his money this year and I was happy to see Shorter get some run this weekend. Wright is probably taking too many snaps at RB with Pierce needing more. Should be an interesting game this weekend.

Is this like two-thirds of our defense?

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018

I can't follow along because I don't know who is playing where except Heggie at Center and Gouraige at LG. When that backside DE is lined up 4I, he is looking to slant inside most cases, and that should be a switch call between the RG and RT whereas the RG picks up backside and the RT pulls to kick the DE. I am not sure if our RT can do that fast enough. No clue. If not, he should be able to at least cut him and be done with it. In the Chump days, I have seen schemes where we are pulling a G and the T is trying to block a DT line up in a 3. Not in this league.

Hard to run a counter play against an over look. Most run an under look against a spread thinking the ball is going opposite the RB and forces a double team against the playside DT.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
NastyGrimCapeghostfrog-size_restricted.gif
The stench of the dwag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads