Bits & Pieces: Florida vs South Carolina

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The comparison hit me yesterday immediately when Pearsall caught the winning TD pass. When compared side-by-side, they are eerily close in the route run---the form used to make the catch--and the end result. Only difference it wasn't Mick making the animated call, it was our new guy. Just fun to watch, compare, and somewhat equate the two. When I say eerily---just watch both guys catching it over the left shoulder and pulling it in. IMO, that's scary similar. 30 years ago---hard to believe.

Just as a side note for the some that thought we perhaps celebrated too much given the competition and who we actually best Saturday. If you watch that 93 Uk game, we got a celebration penalty because of how insane our sideline went. That Wildcat team went 6-6 that year and we won the SEC with one of Spurrier’s best(and my favorite) teams. Sometimes you just have to let loose.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Great post, @cover2 , as always. Hope you are well.

One thing to add. Our runners (Johnson, Etienne & Wilson) ran for 120 yards, 5.2 YPC. The total rushing is skewed by sacks (Mertz -7) and that last possession (-31).

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Two observations. One, that was an awesome game to watch. I think this is the only road game where the teams was prepared to play their hearts out. Two, was our TV really that bad as that Doering clip? That was awful to watch.

TV was not that bad.
That particular game wasn’t covered by any of the major networks and instead was covered by a Jefferson Pilot level company so their camera quality sucked.
TV before HD was pretty bad but not as bad as that specific game.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Did anyone notice, the TD pass to Jackson - Hansen was beyond wide open. He looked like a nerd at a JR High dance. All alone.

Also, the ball the ricocheted off of Ricky to Wilson - If Rick catches that, he may have scored. That would have given the tiny albino kid a lot of time, with 3 timeouts remaining.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
[shortened]

Yet, I think I've only seen @Bushmaster point out that we threw a ball at/behind the line of scrimmage on 4th and 12. If Boardingham does not simply make a "I'm better than you" play, we likely lose (especially since we had used up 2 minutes to go 26 yards at that point and were still not in any rush).

If Boardingham gets tackled, we get the ball back with under 3-4 minutes and down 2+ scores. AAAAND, then most in here are screaming about the play call and conservative nature of Mertz and Billy.

Point being, this narrow margin against a 2-4 team is concerning even if we are happy and rightly also pointing out all the other improvements. Because, in the end, to many of us, our interest is not about beating a 2-4 s carolina team. It is about winning championships and showing that is more likely than not with this staff. Yesterday helped, but left a lot that still suggests a championship is an uphill battle with this staff.
We are not really a "good" team. I don't recall anyone (sane) claiming we are. No SEC team with a big bunch of freshman playing major roles ever really is.

But it was a "good win.".

A step in the right direction. It was important to get an SEC win on the road, and we did that. CBN did some things we hadn't seen before. Some guys made mistakes, but some guys also made big plays when we needed them. A 10 point comeback in the 4th on the road shows some toughness. And some luck. We have good effort, which helps in the luck dept.

In two weeks we play Georgia. The bye week helps us more than it helps them. We're gaining confidence ... because we are getting better and more experienced ... and all the pressure is on them. We definitely have a chance to torpedo their season. If we win, we'll have the tie-breaker advantage over the skunky dogs.

Go Gators!

Hurrig8r

Nov 18, 2017
Just a couple of things...
One.... very happy for coach. I'm sure he isn't reading Chatter, but I'm sure he's heard some chatter from the fans. Let's give credit where its due. He's there every day with this team. Maybe he actually knew we weren't ready for this much playbook in the previous 5 games. God knows that last year the QB play limited us to very little due to inconsistencies and the talent level very suspect. Maybe, just maybe, this is who we are becoming. Explosive, young talent feeling their stride. We will learn a lot more in the weeks to come, win or lose. It will probably not be a good look on the W/L column, but if we see these kids continue to grow, improve, believe and we see a coach continue open up the playbook, work on improving himself and a coach getting fired up like he did Saturday, I'm giving them a pass and hope for the future.
Two...Mertz! This guy may end up being one of our FAVS! What a class kid. He fights down to the last snap even when it seems like no one else is. No one gave him a chance coming in. I didn't.... All he's done is prove he belongs playing, prove he belongs leading, proves he belongs as a folk ledged in Gator Nation if he only continues to be who he is.
Go Gators...
F the DAWGS!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Great post, @cover2 , as always. Hope you are well.

One thing to add. Our runners (Johnson, Etienne & Wilson) ran for 120 yards, 5.2 YPC. The total rushing is skewed by sacks (Mertz -7) and that last possession (-31).
The skew you mention was what put our rush total in my “Bad Numbers” column. Ties into our OL issues. I should have done a better job of explaining.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Did anyone notice, the TD pass to Jackson - Hansen was beyond wide open. He looked like a nerd at a JR High dance. All alone.

Also, the ball the ricocheted off of Ricky to Wilson - If Rick catches that, he may have scored. That would have given the tiny albino kid a lot of time, with 3 timeouts remaining.

I could be way off on my speculation here, but to me that looked like a quarterback wanting to reward the receiver that got them in that position. It’s possible he just missed Hansen being open and was locked in on KJ, but with his experience and the way he’s led things to this point, that was my feeling.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

When he started crossing to the right and was just crossing the "mid-line", I was screaming at the TV to throw to him.

:lol: on "tiny albino kid"

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
Good summary as usual Cover.

Much needed win especially after the UK no show loss. Watched Mertz today on the SEC morning show with Burns and Doering.
Mertz is a very intelligent and mature young man who is absolutely elated to be playing for the Gators. He talked about how the whole team and coaching staff were ready and locked in for this game. On the 4th down pass to Pearsall Mertz quoted Tom Brady about avoiding the sack, slide outside and keep your eyes downfield. He is big enough to take the hits that go with holding the ball and waiting for guys to get open.
As a fan I doubted that this Gator team would win a big road game. It was very enjoyable to be proven wrong. We still have one of the toughest schedules in the Country. This win was a must have, and it should be a win to build on. It was great to see Billy finally smile.

Go Gators !

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017

Yes on the TD pass, it was hilarious looking at Hansen live after the throw. Dude was as Mick would say Quarantine.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
WTF is wrong with her nose?
landing ski jump GIF

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When he started crossing to the right and was just crossing the "mid-line", I was screaming at the TV to throw to him.

:lol: on "tiny albino kid"
I don't know if it was part of the play or if Hansen is really, really slow but he did get lost amounst the D-Line on the TD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator