Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Texas A&M

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
We. Can’t. Tackle. Period.

We don’t teach fundamental tackling techniques. It’s beyond embarrassing.

This. There is a pattern now. We are horrible at tackling. We are consumed with trying to level every runner. Problem is we often are the one who gets our light ass trucked or more often (and more embarrassing) we completely wiff.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We all agree that the dearth of defensive talent on this team has caught up with us but this is where coaching is SUPPOSED to come in to play

I agree that Dwag did try pressure with blitzing but his plan was WAY too obvious. I didn’t build a game plan for A&M but the blitzing was textbook and identified quickly by Mond.

All Dumbo had to do was drill Mond over and over again to simply turn and throw in the direction of the pressure and each time he found an uncovered receiver.

My favorite blitz was on a 3rd and long on the last drive. Dwag sent the corner and safety from Mond’s right side. Both players gave themselves away several seconds before the snap but to make it worse, Dwag sent them from the wide side of the field.
Sooooooo, Mond sees both defenders clearly blitzing from his right but he also knows it will take them 2-3 seconds to get to him so he simply turns and throws to the vacated area for a first down.

This happened over and over again and I assume that Dumbo had to control his snickering as he watched Dwag stand there like he was coaching his first game

But with that said, if it hadn’t been for the loud crowd we would have won

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Are we over our anger enough to think about any possibility of improvement? It seems to me that all our defensive problems are interconnected. We can't pressure even on blitzes, so our DBs play soft. Our line and LBs can't stop the run, so our safeties bite on play action. And on and on and on. Is there at least hope that correction in one area might lead to improvement in others?

I think the first productive step would be to start with what our defense does well and then build around that.

Okay I give up, what does this defense do well?

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This. There is a pattern now. We are horrible at tackling. We are consumed with trying to level every runner. Problem is we often are the one who gets our light ass trucked or more often (and more embarrassing) we completely wiff.

Back in the day we were taught that tackling occurs only when you wrap up the ball carrier with your arms

Apparently this is old school thinking that has been replaced with “just lunge towards the ball carrier and give him a shoulder jab”

Did proper tackling technique go the way of teaching civics in high schools?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cover, if you are acting DC tomorrow, what would you change?
Jobs.

Seriously, job one has to be to improve tackling (technique and toughness) and that includes getting bodies to the ball carrier as well as keeping your feet with you (screw the grabbing, diving and lunging). Spectators should buy a ticket. The attitude of the unit is obviously miserable. It has to be that I am the only guy out here that can make the play and I’m gonna do it or die. Eleven like that can be better than what we’ve seen. Simple but very important. Next thing would be to tighten coverage and drill the hell out of route recognition. It’s clear that we are paralyzed too often trying to diagnose the play.

@oxrageous is trying to get some GC press credentials. You interested in a parttime correspondent gig?
I’m getting close to retiring from education and want something fun to keep me busy, so yeah, I’d be interested. Besides, Pat D has often said there’s always wings.
I don't understand the soft coverage, have we bumped a receiver on the LOS this year? Should Ventrell Miller be taken out on 3rd and long? The opposition seems to find a way to get a speedy receiver past him deep in the middle a lot.
Miller might need to be swapped for a SS. I recall seeing him standing around on a couple of coverages. I was also a little higher on him as a tackler before he got T-boned by the Aggie RB.
Are we over our anger enough to think about any possibility of improvement? It seems to me that all our defensive problems are interconnected. We can't pressure even on blitzes, so our DBs play soft. Our line and LBs can't stop the run, so our safeties bite on play action. And on and on and on. Is there at least hope that correction in one area might lead to improvement in others?
I’m not a fan of very much zone at the high college level. One route can tie up two defenders and OC’s can scheme the holes. Soft man is about as bad. Too often our DBs can’t get up to the speed of a receiver who has free released / stemmed at the snap or they can’t converge on the break quick enough. Part of this may be talent and ability, but I can’t help but think that a lot of it has to do with them not being able to process the read and required reaction quickly enough. At least it looks that way in several cases.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Back in the day we were taught that tackling occurs only when you wrap up the ball carrier with your arms

Apparently this is old school thinking that has been replaced with “just lunge towards the ball carrier and give him a shoulder jab”

Did proper tackling technique go the way of teaching civics in high schools?

I’m not a football coach but I coached basketball for 30 years. When it comes to the fundamentals it’s all about accountability. If you didn’t take a charge....or Move the ball....,or get back on D.....or box out....just understand when you hear the buzzer that it is you that is coming out to sit next to me. No need to even look....just start heading to the bench because that behavior will not be tolerated.
Our players keep going for the knockout instead of the tackle because it is tolerated.

HumbleGator

Nov 4, 2017
It’s all about the LOS and the front seven. Recruiting and coaching, or lack there of, in this area is starting to rear its ugly head. Heck...RFN, Louis Oliver, VH3 and Joe Haden wouldn’t have made much difference yesterday; Mond had all dang day to throw. Ugh!

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
After a long hiatus I decided to return to my brethren on Gator Chatter to see the eternal struggle between pumpers and dumpers after yesterday's dumpster fire and to share my own .02 Venezuelan Bolivars on the subject.

First of all I have to admit I bought into the hype. After Franks went down and our offense seemed to find the answer in Kyle Trask last year, I started to believe perhaps Dan Mullen was the guy after all. I now realize however that Mullen is just fools gold. He's a good, but not great, and certainly not elite, coach. The first question everyone should have had after Trask started thriving was why our offensive minded QB guru coach doggedly insisted on staying with Franks and only switched when forced by injury. But I digress.

It appears to me we've pretty much exchanged a terrible offense for a terrible defense. We just made aTm, who couldn't do squat against Vandy and who Bama wiped the floor with, look like a juggernaut. We made Kellen Mond look like Tom Brady. We scored 38 points and lost. And what did our genius coach blame it on? Well there were 27,000 people at Kyle Field yesterday, that threw us for a loop and gave them a big advantage. Seriously? That's the best he's got? Oh, and we need to look into the defense because they aren't doing too good.

It looks to me like we're going to mirror Mississippi State under Mullen. We'll look pretty good, but we won't be playing for any championships. If he's serious about winning hardware, Grantham has to go. Make that move and I'll reconsider my assessment.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@OcalaGator83 Welcome back! I hope you aren’t disappointed that the pumper / dumper thing seems to have calmed some. That is, until yesterday. Whatever convincing Mullen had done to assure the dumpers that we were about to climb the mountain just got flushed yesterday. And Grantham along with the “27,000” at Kyle field yesterday yanked the chain. It’s going to be interesting to see what he does in response. Make no mistake, everybody feels like dumping when the Ferrari offense gets dragged to a defeat by an Edsel defense.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
@OcalaGator83 Welcome back! I hope you aren’t disappointed that the pumper / dumper thing seems to have calmed some. That is, until yesterday. Whatever convincing Mullen had done to assure the dumpers that we were about to climb the mountain just got flushed yesterday. And Grantham along with the “27,000” at Kyle field yesterday yanked the chain. It’s going to be interesting to see what he does in response. Make no mistake, everybody feels like dumping when the Ferrari offense gets dragged to a defeat by an Edsel defense.
Thanks @cover2. I think I am just shocked to see how badly the defense has regressed and while our offense is finally able to take us places, we're not leaving the dock with this defense. Two steps forward, two steps back. And to be honest, more than a little disappointed/dismayed that his explanation was that a 27,000 "strong" crowd at Kyle Field was too much for us to overcome.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think the first productive step would be to start with what our defense does well and then build around that.

Okay I give up, what does this defense do well?
Well, we used to sack pretty well. we did that by lining up the rush waaaaay outside and give me him a free sprint at the quarterback.

It took him completely out of run defense and made us even softer, but, hey, we got sacks.

we seem to have tried to shore up our run defense by bringing that guy (Rush Backer) back inside, and just and just lining him up like a defensive end. it didn't make our run defense any better and has taken away all of our sacks.

Last edited:

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Being a simple phukk, I'll keep my take...well, simple.

1.Grantham must go. Others obviously need flushing too - but Grantham is the 300 lb. turd in the punch bowl.
2. If DM won't fire Grantham immediately after the end of this season, he deserves to suffer the natural consequences of a complete failure in leadership/judgement/professional integrity. The progress that has been made in some areas is going to be all for naught if DM doesn't get this right and he WILL FAIL if he doesn't.
3. The honeymoon is phukking over. Get the catastrophic schytt-fest we laughingly call a defense cleaned up - starting RIGHT NOW.
4. Figure out how to recruit at a championship level and then DO IT. Or... just get the phukk out of Dodge and give somebody a chance who actually wants to win championships.

The End

Last edited:

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
It’s all about the LOS and the front seven. Recruiting and coaching, or lack there of, in this area is starting to rear its ugly head. Heck...RFN, Louis Oliver, VH3 and Joe Haden wouldn’t have made much difference yesterday; Mond had all dang day to throw. Ugh!
This! ^^^
The next couple years will be disappointing if we do not get the big athletic bodies on campus.
As for the offense I am thrilled that we are having extended drives and scoring points. Albeit most defenses look like shyt this year. But after Trask leaves the cub-bards look very bare.

GoGators2777

Oct 3, 2020
Our defense is pathetic, but, I do not know if we even have the worst defense of the perennial powers being UF, LSU and Bama. This year makes me want to quit years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator