Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. UMass

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
We will know more in the KY game. Southern Miss gashed them running the ball right down their throat in the 2nd half of that game tonight.
Expect a up tempo w extra run. The D is gonna step up and the O is gonna pound em. Close game but we pull away at the end.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I think you can tell pretty quick if a coach has it or not... Look at Tom Herman.
Our guys get wide open from coaches scheme. Have you forgotten we did not forward pass for 3 years? I like coach and he is good. Hang tight.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Those were semi-glorious times for GM. Every maker except Olds had a two-seater. Fiero, Corvette, Allante, Reatta.
I was behind a Reatta convertible last week. Rare sighting - they've become collectible (at least the roadsters have).

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm surprised we didn't run the ball more. They were playing a two deep safety with several zone blitzes thrown in there. Definitely the type of front inviting you to run the ball. I saw a few WR screens, but don't recall any to the backs. A few flare routes for them out of the backfield, and a lot of quick hitters. Disappointing the WR didn't get more YAC. They had several opportunities to shake guys free , but seemed to get tackled almost instantly after the catch.

On defense Williamson probably doesn't need to see the field the rest of the year. Chauncey and Putu each are better cover guys, and both don't seem to mind getting their nose dirty hitting someone. Disappointed we didn't create any turnovers. The pass rush in the 2nd half from some of the younger guys like Zuniga is promising. Also really liked Polite. The guy looked huge out there. With those two guys you can kind of get a sense why they want to add Cece inside. I don't think Clayton or Jordan Smith got in the game either. The future is bright at DE.

Cronk didn't look right to me. I know the staff said he was full go in practice last week, but he just didn't look like himself. Looks like it will be the Jordan's getting most of the carries. The drop by Thompson going into the endzone was actually a decent throw by Del Rio. There was a defender closing in and if the QB leads the back it likely is a pick going the other way for 6. Good throw by Del Rio there to the back hip. Unfortunately MT didn't haul it in, and due to the miscue on 4th and short we got nothing there. Going forward I would expect a lot of two TE sets. The right side of the line could really use Lewis to help block in both PP and opening a few holes in the run game. Obviously a lot of errors & mistakes in the opener, but many can be corrected with the missing personnel we didn't have on hand. In addition to better play calling.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm surprised we didn't run the ball more. They were playing a two deep safety with several zone blitzes thrown in there. Definitely the type of front inviting you to run the ball.
I keep coming back to this thought as well. Going back over the game and looking at highlights and stats, we threw it 44 times and ran it 29. Really only 23, as 6 carries were attributed to LDR, which were scrambles/sacks. Given the weather and maybe some of the inconsistencies at times with the passing, more rushes should have been in order. Scarlett averaged 5.4 yds for 70 total on 13 carries. Not necessarily eye-popping, but good, workman-like numbers. I think his YAC was pretty decent just from eyeballing. If UK struggles against the rush this week like they did against SoMiss, I'll be really surprised if we don't have at least 10-12 more rushing attempts, barring anything unforeseen happening. We might have to go away from the new norm this year and actually run to set up the pass. A lot will depend on the OL of course. Want to see a leap from last week to this one. Will be frightening if we don't.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I keep coming back to this thought as well. Going back over the game and looking at highlights and stats, we threw it 44 times and ran it 29. Really only 23, as 6 carries were attributed to LDR, which were scrambles/sacks. Given the weather and maybe some of the inconsistencies at times with the passing, more rushes should have been in order. Scarlett averaged 5.4 yds for 70 total on 13 carries. Not necessarily eye-popping, but good, workman-like numbers. I think his YAC was pretty decent just from eyeballing. If UK struggles against the rush this week like they did against SoMiss, I'll be really surprised if we don't have at least 10-12 more rushing attempts, barring anything unforeseen happening. We might have to go away from the new norm this year and actually run to set up the pass. A lot will depend on the OL of course. Want to see a leap from last week to this one. Will be frightening if we don't.

Stoops will probably have a similar gameplan. I don't think he will bring a safety to help the run unless we start gashing them with big plays. I would expect a lot of edge pressure from either a nickel or OLB. Especially on 3rd down. If we can't block the UK front i'll be very , very concerned moving forward.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
There should be more run. Too many horses in the stable even if Perine isn't ready. JS ended up with some good carries and the most yards, but on replay I saw a couple really nice runs by Cronk that got called back by stupid and needless holding penalties. This has got to get moving.

And there should be a crap ton more of Jawaan Taylor. Free the man-child!!

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Extremely disappointed in the o-line. Not much push from an offensive line that outweighed their opponents by 40 pounds. Unless we get some guys in there with a take no prisoners attitude we will not beat the better teams in the SEC. They're soft. D-line played ok late but were not really into it the first half.

The overall play in the first 3-1/2 quarters was 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Terrible penalties that extended UMass drives or called back big offensive plays. Made me want to pull my hair out. Add in a couple of key dropped passes and it was the typical kind of crap we've seen way to damn much of the last half dozen years.

That said, Del Rio played ok and didn't turn the ball over. Scarlett ran hard and Eddie did an awesome job with all of his kicks.
Diddo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator