Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. UMass

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Alabama beat USC by 46 points. I think they would beat us by at least 30. Anything is possible, but that's just how much better they are than us right now. They are far and away the best team in college football and I see no reason why they won't win another title. Best players + best coaching = championships.

Only other team that has a formula anywhere close is Ohio State. Meyer believes in the "best players + best coaching" algorithm as well. Hell, he proved it by beating Saban in championship games.....twice.

Damn 5***** :lol:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I've owned a BMW X5 4.8 at twice the price and a Sorento EX and I'm telling you the Sorento stacks up very well. What this means in terms of the football discussion, I have no idea. :lol:
I started with Yugo and Lexus but changed it few times. If you like Chino/Korean cars, good for you. Substitute Yugo if it makes you feel better.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Alabama beat USC by 46 points. I think they would beat us by at least 30. Anything is possible, but that's just how much better they are than us right now. They are far and away the best team in college football and I see no reason why they won't win another title. Best players + best coaching = championships.

The elephant in the room. The obvious facts that even the pumpiest Pumper cant get around.

There is almost no evidence that this coaching staff is capable of couching up mediocre players anyway, but we hear it constantly from The True Faithful. There sure as hell isnt any reason to think a great class of program changing players is on the way.

Last edited:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I expect us to be in the chase in the East, but did anyone take note of what Bama did to USC?
I started with Yugo and Lexus but changed it few times. If you like Chino/Korean cars, good for you. Substitute Yugo if it makes you feel better.

I bought a 2005 dodge pickup with a hemi brand new. Eleven months later, it was worth nearly 10k less than I paid for it. I bought a new toyota tacoma sr5 in 2010 and traded it in in 2015 and they gave me 5000 less than I paid for it on trade.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Couple of points I'm not sure I've seen mentioned.

Sitting there Saturday night, I started thinking about our last 4 games. Through 16 quarters, we've scored a total of 4 offensive TDs. What's worse, one was garbage time hail mary, and one was a trick WR-to-QB throw back play. I've been a Mac supporter, but that's absolutely abysmal any way you look at it.

Playing up/down to your opponents is never acceptable, but is to be expected early in a tenure as players aren't 100% bought in. Doing so in week 1 of the second season is concerning. Our players need to spend less time tweeting about how great they are, how they're gonna ball, etc., and more time actually doing it.

I thought DelRio looked exactly like what he's been touted. Upside isn't Grier, but also isn't another Treon. The OL did him no favors. And the D's consistently allowing Umass to flip the field on us, giving us terrible starting positions, probably affected how aggressive they felt they could be. In any event, I thought he was ok.

As has been discussed, the quips to the media, making jokes where they don't belong, and continuing on with them far past the point of them being even remotely appropriate or funny, is simply deflection, and is indeed--to borrow someone's quote--bush league. You're paid millions of dollars to coach a football team into a solid performance, and answer the questions reporters--who are paid peanuts by comparison--ask you afterward. It was uncomfortable to listen to.

I've stated numerous times that Mac was the best realistic option at that time. So we have who we have. But I think his 2016 season, the class he brings in, and the opener against Michigan next year, will determine exactly what we have. In a worst case scenario, I hope Herman stays at least one more year, so that seed could be planted immediately. I don't agree with Avatar's thread, but this isn't deciding to buy a new sofa or car that you can decide to do at any time. There is a process of beginning to look at different scenarios. The facts on the ground are proof that we can't afford another end of 2013 type roll of the dice where we clearly aren't prepared and elect to hang on to a dead limb too long. CFB moves fast. We're not there, but we're not terribly far away either.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I've stated numerous times that Mac was the best realistic option at that time. .... In a worst case scenario, I hope Herman stays at least one more year, so that seed could be planted immediately.
As for best realistic option, that is true only if you accept the Fooleyish parameters of must be from a little league conference, no bidding against anyone else, must be $3mil or less, cheap staff, etc. Michigan, Bama, amd other elite schools dont follow thise rules. They find their guy and make him an offer he cannot refuse. It would no doubt be cheaper inthe long run than paying two or more shytty coaches half the salary of an elite coach.

Im not off the Mac train yet, but there are plenty of bad signs. We traded on 21-17coach for another 21-17 coach. It wont surprise me if he is more or less a 21-17 coach here also. There were also good signs, and some reason to hope Sat was just a rainy game vs a Chump school.

Herman, lol, yeah that would be perfect. I cant even imagine how great it would be to watch LDR, Feleipe and Jake running the option. It is truly a worst case scenario, as you said, no doubt. He is certainly the latest shiny object, might even be great in the right situation, ie taking over with a program setup with running backs playing Qb. For us, it would be a yet another total rebuild, three to five years to recruit players for a sideways offense.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Foley has been trying to be the smartest guy in the room for years. Mac is more Zook and Muschamp than Meyer. Foley is one of the best AD's of all-time but can't pick a football coach to save his life.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Mac concerns me. I'll say it...

I don't feel any different when I see our offense trot out on the field than I have in previous years.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I suggest you guys rewatch the game and see what you think. It was slow and oddly paced but offensively we did what wanted (except for a fumble, dropped passes and penalties.) We took shots down field but dropped as many as we completed. This offense is going to move the ball.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I suggest you guys rewatch the game and see what you think. It was slow and oddly paced but offensively we did what wanted (except for a fumble, dropped passes and penalties.) We took shots down field but dropped as many as we completed. This offense is going to move the ball.

Not buying buddy. Either Whipple outcoached Mac(which I believe) or Mac did not have the team properly prepared(which I believe) or both. Scoring 24 points on UMass is pretty pathetic. You can dress that pig up all you want but Mac isn't showing me much. He's more Muschamp than Meyer.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014

10 points heading into the fourth quarter against UMASS.....10 points.

Think about that. I don't need to rewatch it considering we had 197 yards of total offense going into that same quarter. Give me a break Threat. You either have never watched a football game in your life or you've blinded yourself hoping for the best

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Mac concerns me. I'll say it...

I don't feel any different when I see our offense trot out on the field than I have in previous years.

I don't want this to be true. As hard as I was on the mushchumpers though, I have to admit that it is trending that way...

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'd recommend no one jump off a ledge just yet. In case I need to remind anyone, this was the season opener, a glorified scrimmage, and by erasing three mistakes, this game ends 39-7 instead of how it did. Is anyone complaining as loud then?

Muschamp and Meyer are his predecessors, but that's skewed logic for drawing a direct comparison. Mac isn't anything like either. Muschamp couldn't recruit or coach offense and, lest we forget, Meyer wasn't very adept at developing a throwing quarterback or a legitimate passing game either.

You want a direct comparison? Spurrier. They think alike offensively, esp in terms of balance, and they're B+ recruiters. Difference is eras. The SEC that Spurrier entered was wholly unequipped to stop the passing game. That's changed light years in the past 25 years. You have to do both now.

We had a helluva run last year, esp with supped-up Grier calling signals. I'm not sure Saban could have fared any better with the hand that was dealt Mac. It's a different year, a roster in transition, and the schedule in front of us. Threat is right. We can move the ball. We tripped ourselves up with silly mistakes, but we can move the ball. The offensive game plan will take into account Del Rio's shortcomings and still rack up yardage. If we block people, we'll be in Atlanta.

Chins up, people. This isn't nearly as bad as some of you are trying to make it out to be.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think I'll wait at least another week before I slit my wrists.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Id buy a Kia for my Ex.

I knew there would be a few Kia people out there when I typed it. Too many people dont k kw what a Yugo is. Kia and Fiat are all we have as examples oc terrible cars for this generation.

Look, dude, I've been telling you for months to get rid of the Fiero. You keep telling me it's a chick magnet.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Its not a Fiero, its a Honda del Sol.

He told me he prefers the MR2 over the Del Sol because of the 138-106 advantage in horsepower.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
One game, that we won by the way, into this year after a bad end to last year. And yes, we all know why things went south last year. I'm not saying things can't once again go badly, they could, but I have little patience for the doom and gloomers at this point in the year. Suck it up and enjoy rooting for the team and the coaches. I mean, c'mon, we're gonna be losing Foley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator