Booster Writes Scathing & Depressing Tweet about UF NIL

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
None of this is why we're not winning. We're not winning because you're not giving $25 dollars a month.
:exactly:
john turturro pete hogwallop GIF

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Did you not see the letter from a Gator donor to our Pres/AD?
He "revealed" the dark under belly of NIL and chided all Gator fans to appreciate the "top 5% of mega donors" to our Collective and then recommended we ALL send a set amount per month to the Collective.
IIRC, it was $25/mo.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Did you not see the letter from a Gator donor to our Pres/AD?
He "revealed" the dark under belly of NIL and chided all Gator fans to appreciate the "top 5% of mega donors" to our Collective and then recommended we ALL send a set amount per month to the Collective.
IIRC, it was $25/mo.
Yeah, might’ve resonated a little more had he been one of the 5% and could make me understand better the UAA’s distribution of revenues. Might be apples to oranges but truthfully the Pandora’s Box that most thought this whole NIL scheme would become is playing out in confirmation. I just don’t see how this is sustainable.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
I think it would be pretty easy to do something like Clemson's IPTAY club and get a little sticker for the back glass. IPTAY as most of you know stands for "I Pay Thirty A Year". Small change to the rabid fan. Imagine 100,000 fans paying just $30 a year. I mean, Ox charges me $100 a year just to post here when he should be paying me for my thoughtful posts and insight I share here for free. $3 mil probably doesn't go far in the NIL world so some of you should donate more.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think it would be pretty easy to do something like Clemson's IPTAY club and get a little sticker for the back glass. IPTAY as most of you know stands for "I Pay Thirty A Year". Small change to the rabid fan. Imagine 100,000 fans paying just $30 a year. I mean, Ox charges me $100 a year just to post here when he should be paying me for my thoughtful posts and insight I share here for free. $3 mil probably doesn't go far in the NIL world so some of you should donate more.
Should be charging you much more than... I mean he charges us $5 each not to read your stuff.

Minister of Information

Highly Cosmopolitan
Aug 17, 2018
I’ve been rooting for this team since I was 13 years old. I’m now 51 and I barely care about football period. I think the sport is dying for many reasons, NIL is just the latest one. At this point I don’t think the trajectory can be changed, at least in terms of restoring what used to be special about CFB.

An interesting thought experiment is to consider how you might feel if the Gators won the playoff next year. Me? Golf clap.

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017
Not interested in participating in an arms race for players against very deep pocketed programs. There will be 6-8 teams in CFP that will dominate from here on out given the current chaos in NIL. UF is not one of them, and even if they were, I still think they have ruined college football. None of this would have happened if the NCAA would have just let programs give kids a stipend and allowed them to work part time while in school. Athletes have been complaining about this since the 60's.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
The NIL/Transfer Portal genie is out of the bottle and it is never going back in. The NCAA for fear of legal action is backing as far away from regulation as possible. The NCAA is a joke.
Any hope for bringing some sort of common sense to this process will be up to the conferences.
For NIL I don't see a cap on the spending however maybe the MLB model makes the most sense, where there is a maximum spending limit set by the conferences and any team going over the number get taxed. The total amount of tax is either kept by the conferences or distributed to the rest of the teams. There needs to be guard rails on transfers and the frequency of activity. Plus rules on tampering ,and monetary penalties on teams who do.
That could require approved contracts with all players in all sports, receiving NIL money . Does one Super Conference make more sense with NIL?

All of this and more would most likely generate a collective bargaining agreement, and the athletes becoming employees of the schools. Other than a lot of dollars flowing to some high level law firms and agents, who knows where that would end.
But it seems obvious that if the process continues unregulated with unlimited money thrown at 18 year olds, it will be a disaster.
I also know if our clown show of a government gets involved we are looking at a "Cluster F" of biblical proportions.
As I say this take a look at the link below that appeared yesterday.
This issue needs strong leadership at the conference and or Power 5 schools level. Not from the NCAA or worse yet Congress.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I used to dream of the day college football had a real playoff. Now it's here and I don't care.
One of the many steps that destroyed college football. Cant wait for the days of seeing teams rest theor starters for the last two games in November and skip the conference championship game too.

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017
One of the many steps that destroyed college football. Cant wait for the days of seeing teams rest theor starters for the last two games in November and skip the conference championship game too.
With two super leagues why do we need a playoff ? The two conference champions go to the Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious bowl and be done with it. Oh,........Money.

Minister of Information

Highly Cosmopolitan
Aug 17, 2018
The NIL/Transfer Portal genie is out of the bottle and it is never going back in. The NCAA for fear of legal action is backing as far away from regulation as possible. The NCAA is a joke.
Any hope for bringing some sort of common sense to this process will be up to the conferences.
For NIL I don't see a cap on the spending however maybe the MLB model makes the most sense, where there is a maximum spending limit set by the conferences and any team going over the number get taxed. The total amount of tax is either kept by the conferences or distributed to the rest of the teams. There needs to be guard rails on transfers and the frequency of activity. Plus rules on tampering ,and monetary penalties on teams who do.
That could require approved contracts with all players in all sports, receiving NIL money . Does one Super Conference make more sense with NIL?

All of this and more would most likely generate a collective bargaining agreement, and the athletes becoming employees of the schools. Other than a lot of dollars flowing to some high level law firms and agents, who knows where that would end.
But it seems obvious that if the process continues unregulated with unlimited money thrown at 18 year olds, it will be a disaster.
I also know if our clown show of a government gets involved we are looking at a "Cluster F" of biblical proportions.
This issue needs strong leadership at the conference and or Power 5 schools level. Not from the NCAA or worse yet Congress.

Fan interest is going to tank in a way that will be financially unrecoverable within the next several years. That’s what happens when your best players transfer to your biggest rivals for purely financial motives… and I don’t blame Etienne or anyone else for acting in their own best interests. But could the NFL survive in an environment where its players are able to move freely on an annual basis to the highest bidder? How long would it take before fans are completely turned off and totally lose interest? I think we’re about to find out with CFB as the guinea pig. It’s over.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

That bill would be a nightmare. In fact Congress getting involved is the worst possible outcome.

I agree it is currently insane, but wonder if we’re better off leaving it alone for a few years to see how it settles itself out. That may not be a happy ending either, but I’m certain it will be better than anything legislated.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014

The only thing that can save college football is Congress. Which means we're hosed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.