Warning: Political Takes Bucks and Magic boycott NBA playoff game

greengatah

Sep 1, 2018
Again, no one is saying there aren’t elements of prejudice in America. As was pointed out above, it exists in every society today and has since the beginning of time. What is being argued is that it’s light years away from what is being promoted by media, celebrities, etc.

Case in point. Aaron Rodgers said this week that there are antiquated racist laws that target minorities. His specifics or example? None.

Doc Rivers said there are neighborhoods that people of color can’t live in. His specifics or examples? None.

If anyone decides they want to end the cycle and get out of a bad situation, they can. There are literally millions of examples. Does it mean it’s just as easy as others may have it? Of course not. And it never will be. But that takes on an entirely different argument regarding how this is achieved. What some of us have said is that there’s been an experiment in place for 60+ years, and it has failed miserably. Why not try a different approach? Instead, the message is not only to continue destroying things, but to ramp it up.

And it really has nothing to do with politics or partisan ideals. You really need a policy or party affiliation to tell you it’s not a good idea to have a half dozen kids with multiple women? You need a policy to tell you that you shouldn’t resist the laws of the land, specifically regarding drugs(agree with them or not)? You need a policy to tell you it’s probably not a good idea to glamorize violence and gang life? Really? That’s a partisan issue in your mind and not basic common sense?

I hate seeing anyone shot and killed. But they weren’t shot because they were black. If you are a white person with a violent criminal history, and you resist arrest, ignore repeated commands, and reach into a car or go for a cop’s weapon, you’re getting lit up, plain and simple. And all of the people here that are arguing this wouldn’t care any more than they do about these guys. It’s called accountability for your actions.

I’ve given the example that I know first hand regarding the Spanish culture. How is it that Cubans, specifically the first few generations, succeeded so greatly here—in the 1960’s and ’70s no less—while essentially the same people from areas like PR and DR have not? It’s pretty simple. The Cubans embraced the new opportunity, focused on education, hard work and solid family structure, while Puerto Rican’s and Dominicans largely bucked the system, claimed they were up against it and gravitated to the ghetto culture(ghetto, not black). And as I’ve said before when I’ve thrown this out there, it’s not me saying this. It’s my Dominican father in law.

There really isn’t an argument here. There are facts of life. Whether some choose to ignore them or create a fantasy world where reality doesn’t matter(see Rivers and Rodgers) is up to them. But it doesn’t change reality.

It sounds callous saying this but if certain communities want to continue this path, that’s fine with me. It won’t affect me or my family. But if anyone thinks pushing this current agenda will do anything positive for the black community, they’re fooling themselves and/or subconsciously want to see it fail. Again, history supports that.
This might be the most well thought out response I have read to this situation. The only person holding anyone back or propelling anyone forward in this great country is the one in the mirror and the choices he/she makes. It is truly that simple.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
Looks like my Saturdays in the fall might have just opened up for the foreseeable future.

I was hoping against all hope that it wouldn’t come to this, but alas, here we are.

Im definitely not planning anything around games anymore...I’ll watch it when it’s convenient for me or just listen to it on the radio...I’m moving the goalposts on this one and I’m compromising myself and I feel so ashamed

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
Looks like my Saturdays in the fall might have just opened up for the foreseeable future.

I was hoping against all hope that it wouldn’t come to this, but alas, here we are.

We'll be sad to see you leave the sports forum. Although I guess golf topics might still be relevant for you. Better not watch any movies with black actors either cause most of them are also on board with BLM. Hell most of the white actors in Hollywood are too. Probably should just cancel your cable subscription and sell your tv at this point.

Said similar things to my liberal friend when they told me were gonna boycott chic-fil-a. I love that place. :grin:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We'll be sad to see you leave the sports forum. Although I guess golf topics might still be relevant for you. Better not watch any movies with black actors either cause most of them are also on board with BLM. Hell most of the white actors in Hollywood are too. Probably should just cancel your cable subscription and sell your tv at this point.

I doubt he’d get much for it. From what I’ve seen, they’re going for free in several big cities right now.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015

Said similar things to my liberal friend when they told me were gonna boycott chic-fil-a. I love that place. :grin:
Who said I was leaving the Sports Forum?

Don’t watch many movies due to the never ending blowharding of the Hollywood elite, canceled my Netflix subscription for sexualizing 11 year old girls, canceled my Hulu subscription and Prime video for their support of the Marxist terrorist organization known as BLM.

The point is, I don’t want ANY politics in sports, and I’m betting that most folks feel that way. Whether it’s politics I agree with, or disagree with, I just don’t care to see it and neither do the majority of Americans.

I could give two fuchs to see any of this garbage anymore, I had just hoped it wouldn’t infiltrate college football, and especially my beloved Gators.

Pretty stupid on my part, admittedly.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
A
Who said I was leaving the Sports Forum?

Don’t watch many movies due to the never ending blowharding of the Hollywood elite, canceled my Netflix subscription for sexualizing 11 year old girls, canceled my Hulu subscription and Prime video for their support of the Marxist terrorist organization known as BLM.

The point is, I don’t want ANY politics in sports, and I’m betting that most folks feel that way. Whether it’s politics I agree with, or disagree with, I just don’t care to see it and neither do the majority of Americans.

I could give two fuchs to see any of this garbage anymore, I had just hoped it wouldn’t infiltrate college football, and especially my beloved Gators.

Pretty stupid on my part, admittedly.

Oh my bad I guess I just assumed you'd be leaving the sports forum and sticking to the lounge/political forum since you wouldn't be watching any sports. What sort of sports input can you really have if you aren't seeing or hearing about it? Good for you for sticking to you your values. I'm a degenerate so I don't have that sort of extreme self-control.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
IMHO: Pro Sports have committed suicide.......... And it looks like College Sports is lining up to do the same...... Any idea what the common reason is?

I love College Football but I won't die without it.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
IMHO: Pro Sports have committed suicide.......... And it looks like College Sports is lining up to do the same...... Any idea what the common reason is?

I love College Football but I won't die without it.

Systemic racism

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If I’m late to respond:

A) I’m in Australian time

B) I have a 9 month year old that isn’t fond of sleeping...

Contrasting views or not, I actually enjoy engaging with you guys.

I’m not sure why it is so confronting for a lot of people to admit that we can do better as a society collectively. You preface your argument by stating that you aren’t a “political person”, then you ONLY respond with loaded political statistics. Seems contradictory. I know I’m in the minority with my views (shocker), but I have a very pessimistic mentality when it comes to politics in America. I don’t believe our current political system is designed to benefit most citizens, regardless of the party in power. People love to cling to the affiliation of one party as if it’s a part of their actual identity. In reality, the politicians in either party are more interested in doing just enough to satiate citizens into thinking they will actually represent their interests until they are elected. There is no way two parties which were founded centuries ago are still appropriately representative of modern day society in 2020. Like most of us, I try to be a decent person, treat people with decency, and control what I can in my own life.

The problem that many are failing to recognize is the fundamental lack of humanity one group of people in this country has experienced. It was more comfortable for a lot of people when this group of people suppressed their experiences, but a history of traumatic and painful encounters with people of another race and specifically law enforcement are starting to boil over in a very visceral way. I come from a middle-classed African American family and went to predominantly white private schools in the South for most of my life. I have been afforded opportunities that many of my other black friends have not had. Despite this, it had not stopped me or some of many of my friends from being profiled while driving through affluent areas for no other reason than looking like I didn’t “belong” there on multiple occasions. How many can relate to this experience or what that feels like? I’m not saying this for sympathy, but merely to point out that there are many realities of life for different Americans. If you want to question the political agenda of BLM and summarily dismiss it, that’s your right. But, it is negligent to ignore the underlying message. We don’t both have to be right in an argument for it to have purpose.

You, as have many, misconstrued the the idea of black lives mattering with the organization "Black Lives Matter". The later has been allowed through manipulation, ignorance and complicity by a large number of people and a willing media to hijack a cause and damage it by turning off half the population. I recommend you read the BLM manifesto. It doesn't approve of you and your wife being the ones to raise that sleeping 9 month old (congrats, BTW). An actual working family unit is something they think is the root of all evil.

Much of the rhetoric coming out now is based on BS not actual facts. For example, the idea that police are inherently racist and go out hunting down unarmed black people. It's total bull$h!t. There were something like 10 million people arrested last year of which about twice as many were white than black. Of all those arrests there were 25 unarmed white people killed compared to 14 black people. And there are lots of extenuating circumstances to many of these killings. While one is too many the actually percentage is minuscule. In addition, there are black cops shooting black people and white people. And a cop is 30 times more likely to be killed by a black person than a black person is to be killed by a cop.

No one is saying that black people don't have more than a legitimate beef with the police when it comes to things like riding while black. I think it totally sucks when innocent people have to deal with things like that when they're just minding there own business. But sometimes it's good policing and sometimes it's being the victim of overzealous profiling. We as a country have to decide what exactly it is we want to ask of our police and then make it as unambiguous as possible. We need to decide if pulling people over based on police intuition is good enough to be worth the harm caused by pulling over the innocent. But just so you know it also happens to white people. It happened to me as a 17 year old in a relatively nice area of town. I was stopped in broad daylight by two cop cars with drawn guns because the car I was driving matched the description of an armed robbery suspect right down to the dented back fender. I say this not to lessen the experiences of black people who this happens to disproportionately. I say it because each and every circumstance is different and usually does not follow the prevailing narrative.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
You, as have many, misconstrued the the idea of black lives mattering with the organization "Black Lives Matter". The later has been allowed through manipulation, ignorance and complicity by a large number of people and a willing media to hijack a cause and damage it by turning off half the population. I recommend you read the BLM manifesto. It doesn't approve of you and your wife being the ones to raise that sleeping 9 month old (congrats, BTW). An actual working family unit is something they think is the root of all evil.

Much of the rhetoric coming out now is based on BS not actual facts. For example, the idea that police are inherently racist and go out hunting down unarmed black people. It's total bull$h!t. There were something like 10 million people arrested last year of which about twice as many were white than black. Of all those arrests there were 25 unarmed white people killed compared to 14 black people. And there are lots of extenuating circumstances to many of these killings. While one is too many the actually percentage is minuscule. In addition, there are black cops shooting black people and white people. And a cop is 30 times more likely to be killed by a black person than a black person is to be killed by a cop.

No one is saying that black people don't have more than a legitimate beef with the police when it comes to things like riding while black. I think it totally sucks when innocent people have to deal with things like that when they're just minding there own business. But sometimes it's good policing and sometimes it's being the victim of overzealous profiling. We as a country have to decide what exactly it is we want to ask of our police and then make it as unambiguous as possible. We need to decide if pulling people over based on police intuition is good enough to be worth the harm caused by pulling over the innocent. But just so you know it also happens to white people. It happened to me as a 17 year old in a relatively nice area of town. I was stopped in broad daylight by two cop cars with drawn guns because the car I was driving matched the description of an armed robbery suspect right down to the dented back fender. I say this not to lessen the experiences of black people who this happens to disproportionately. I say it because each and every circumstance is different and usually does not follow the prevailing narrative.

Stereotyping and statistics is only acceptable when used against white ppl. Period. And who would have thought that three Marxist black lesbian feminists would hate nuclear families...that’s just so out of left field

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Not comparable to happening frequently, but happened to me once. College roommate and I went to DC for a job interview in an old car that still had snow tires in late spring. Snow brought Washington to its knees. (Southerners didn't know how to drive in snow anyway.) We drove around Georgetown laughing at stranded drivers and admiring the fancy swamp homes and the cops minced no words: "get out you don't belong here".

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Seems to me the people who most want us to defund, “reimagine,” or do away with the police altogether are the criminals or at least those with disdain for rules and responsibilities. The liberal politicians who parrot these ideas are playing to the mob who seems mostly comprised of white liberal college students commingled with various loafers, carney workers, and schit disturbers who feel either the need to be a part of a movement or are disenfranchised because of a lack of success. All either cling-ons or usurpers of the BLM movement, which unfortunately is not much more than a costume attempting to disguise the Marxist intent.

Two best things I’ve heard during this “unrest” were 1) from a co-worker who exclaimed “Hell, we can’t act right WITH the police; how do you imagine we’d act without ‘em?” and 2) said by several “We’re burning up America for a handful of deaths at the hands of police, all adjudicated in the court of public opinion regardless of what any court ever says while at the same time completely ignoring hundreds of deaths of blacks at the hands of blacks.” There’s no way to reconcile this and simultaneously get behind BLM as it stands if you are a rational person IMO.

What does the vocal segment of the black community want? No laws? No enforcement? Sorry but a civilized society doesn’t work that way. Sorry about slavery. It was terrible and I wish we could turn the clock back and undo it, but we can’t. I’m more sorry for the chains of public assistance that bind so many today. Figure that one out and take advantage of the educational and business incentives available at a greater rate and the world becomes better. But the way the ills of society are being tackled now, we are doomed for greater failure.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Don't kid yourselves about the intentions of BLM regardless of their political affiliation....they are the new Black Panthers and the reason they want to do away with Police in inner city's is to control the drug and prostitution trades without interference from police....plain and simple. Keep the Black people enslaved to the inner, gov. assistance and to the drugs and illegal market supplied by BLM...They want to be the new mafia and have no obstacles with the local government or local law enforcement...And they know the pansy demodummy mayors will be wanting their votes.

Do you really think George Floyd got his lethal fix of drugs from a white person?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator