Warning: Political Takes Bucks and Magic boycott NBA playoff game

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
See this is where I have an issue. You’re a reasonable person, but this becomes very personal. I’m not a Republican. In fact, I’m not a political person at all. But as Divits pointed out, I’m made to feel that if I’m not ok with BLM being shoved down my throat, then I’m the problem, or as you just said, subconsciously culpable. Yes, somehow this all my fault.

Let me share some stats with you. Correct me if I’m wrong, but by my count, since Kennedy’s first term, 60 years ago:

Democrats have controlled the House 46 of 60 years. They've controlled the Senate 40 of 60 years. They’ve basically split the presidency(28/32) with 8 recent years of an AA president, including 8 with a VP who’ll likely grab 80+ % of the vote in November. And basically all of the major cities where police issues and subsequent rioting are taking place have been longstanding Democrat run cities. If you dislike the “status quo” so much, and if things are even nearly as bad as some are claiming, blame these people, not me.

I didn’t propose a breakdown of the family. I didn’t marginalize a certain group into thinking they needed handouts to keep them on a payroll. I didn’t promote a glorification of gangs, drugs and violence and the denigrating of women through movies and music. I didn’t have a hand in creating or allowing any of this toxicity to develop within a culture. So if we’re truly looking to assign blame, maybe start with some self reflection at how we ended up here instead of looking for who you find to be “culpable”.

If I’m late to respond:

A) I’m in Australian time

B) I have a 9 month year old that isn’t fond of sleeping...

Contrasting views or not, I actually enjoy engaging with you guys.

I’m not sure why it is so confronting for a lot of people to admit that we can do better as a society collectively. You preface your argument by stating that you aren’t a “political person”, then you ONLY respond with loaded political statistics. Seems contradictory. I know I’m in the minority with my views (shocker), but I have a very pessimistic mentality when it comes to politics in America. I don’t believe our current political system is designed to benefit most citizens, regardless of the party in power. People love to cling to the affiliation of one party as if it’s a part of their actual identity. In reality, the politicians in either party are more interested in doing just enough to satiate citizens into thinking they will actually represent their interests until they are elected. There is no way two parties which were founded centuries ago are still appropriately representative of modern day society in 2020. Like most of us, I try to be a decent person, treat people with decency, and control what I can in my own life.

The problem that many are failing to recognize is the fundamental lack of humanity one group of people in this country has experienced. It was more comfortable for a lot of people when this group of people suppressed their experiences, but a history of traumatic and painful encounters with people of another race and specifically law enforcement are starting to boil over in a very visceral way. I come from a middle-classed African American family and went to predominantly white private schools in the South for most of my life. I have been afforded opportunities that many of my other black friends have not had. Despite this, it had not stopped me or some of many of my friends from being profiled while driving through affluent areas for no other reason than looking like I didn’t “belong” there on multiple occasions. How many can relate to this experience or what that feels like? I’m not saying this for sympathy, but merely to point out that there are many realities of life for different Americans. If you want to question the political agenda of BLM and summarily dismiss it, that’s your right. But, it is negligent to ignore the underlying message. We don’t both have to be right in an argument for it to have purpose.

ShelbyGator

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
When you say “hater” do you mean the word in classic sense or do you mean it as one criticizing?
I am assuming it must be the latter, because other than the occasional troll from another fan base, I don’t see actual “hate” per se.
I am one of the few non UF grads here and I rarely have any comments other than positive ones (besides, one, happy wife, happy life, so I’m not going to bad mouth her alma mater; two, my son has been well taken care of by UF), but were it where I went I’d feel the right to criticize the school if I thought it was going down the wrong path. Some of the harshest critics here are folks I happen to know love their school and are very proud to be alums.

This is (intentionally or not) actually a compliment to GCMB. Even if Ox were serious, he wouldn’t force the issue by banning you. I know I’ve personally annoyed him on several occasions, and yet, I’m still here. (There is a possibility he’s kept me around as a thank you for being the only person to actually listen to his podcasts last fall.)

Not the only one. I absolutely loved the podcasts. Hearing Ox rip the Vols and Butters during my morning run was the highlight of my weeks. Too bad it didn't last.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If I’m late to respond:

I’m not sure why it is so confronting for a lot of people to admit that we can do better as a society collectively. You preface your argument by stating that you aren’t a “political person”, then you ONLY respond with loaded political statistics. Seems contradictory. I know I’m in the minority with my views (shocker), but I have a very pessimistic mentality when it comes to politics in America. I don’t believe our current political system is designed to benefit most citizens, regardless of the party in power. People love to cling to the affiliation of one party as if it’s a part of their actual identity. In reality, the politicians in either party are more interested in doing just enough to satiate citizens into thinking they will actually represent their interests until they are elected. There is no way two parties which were founded centuries ago are still appropriately representative of modern day society in 2020. Like most of us, I try to be a decent person, treat people with decency, and control what I can in my own life.

The problem that many are failing to recognize is the fundamental lack of humanity one group of people in this country has experienced. It was more comfortable for a lot of people when this group of people suppressed their experiences, but a history of traumatic and painful encounters with people of another race and specifically law enforcement are starting to boil over in a very visceral way. I come from a middle-classed African American family and went to predominantly white private schools in the South for most of my life. I have been afforded opportunities that many of my other black friends have not had. Despite this, it had not stopped me or some of many of my friends from being profiled while driving through affluent areas for no other reason than looking like I didn’t “belong” there on multiple occasions. How many can relate to this experience or what that feels like? I’m not saying this for sympathy, but merely to point out that there are many realities of life for different Americans. If you want to question the political agenda of BLM and summarily dismiss it, that’s your right. But, it is negligent to ignore the underlying message. We don’t both have to be right in an argument for it to have purpose.

The underlying & stated BLM message is the total destruction of the traditional family structure in favor of “community” and the application of textbook Marxism among other decisively destructive goals. It’s completely incompatible with the government of the United States and represents a direct threat to the vast majority of its citizens. It has absolutely nothing to do with the issue of racism and only serves to undermine any meaningful progress towards addressing actual issues you described.

Last edited:

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The underlying & stated BLM message is the total destruction of the traditional family structure in favor of “community” and the application of textbook Marxism among other decisively destructive goals. It’s completely incompatible with the government of the United States and represents a director threat to the vast majority of its citizens. It has absolutely nothing to do with the issue of racism and only serves to undermine any meaningful progress towards addressing actual issues you described.

If it were called “Please Don’t Kill Us”, would that be more suitable? Marxism is a massive mischaracterization for a pretty direct statement. Also, it’s very convenient to dismiss the movement and the message to avoid a deeper conversation about the underlying issue. If we are all Americans and united under one nation, ignoring the cries of your neighbors who are experiencing the country in a much different way than you on a daily basis seems disingenuous. The “tradition” you seem determined to protect has a much darker history than you’re willing to acknowledge.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
If I’m late to respond:

Well, certainly no apologies needed on the first two points. Minus the Aussie time, I’ve been there.

My reason for bringing up those Democrat stats was simply to point out that policies in a country like the US don’t make a society, one way or the other. It’s precisely why I’m not political. Be responsible, take care of your family, be a good person and the rest will take care of itself. That’s not unique to any race. It simply isn’t. Hoping for others to take care of you is futile. I worked under a former Goldman trader and adopted much of his views, which aligned with how I was raised. Nobody cares. Take care of yourself and your family and ignore the outside.

Your story sounds a lot like my best friend, except for the private school. It’s amazing what two decent parents can do, again, regardless of race. But that’s exactly what BKM wants to dismantle. You’re a smart enough person to know that can’t possibly be a good thing for the next generation of black children, any more than growing up with a disdain for LEO, which is what was on full display in both Atlanta and Wisconsin. As you saw, I can be a bit calloused at times. If the black community thinks that’s what’s best, find by me. But understand, it won’t impact my life(and I have a suspicion, yours either). But if we’re honest, we both know it’s yet another failed policy.

In terms of doing better as a society, of course, who couldn’t? As we speak, people in progressive Spain are considered second class citizens. Mainland Italians think lesser of Sicilians, while Sicilians distrust the north, at times to the point of violence. Muslims are being rounded up in China. Call a Colombian a Venezuelan by mistake and tell me how that goes. And let’s not even get into the tribal genocide that has plagued Africa. I have a hunch they don’t see each other as exactly equal. Sadly, that’s life. Big difference between modest prejudices and the image that BLM is portraying.

My biggest issue with all of this is that I grew up listening to Motown because my mother was first generation immigrant and didn’t have any prejudices. How did a culture go from the Supremes and a group steadily establishing itself out of what we all agree was poor circumstances...to W.A.P by Cardi B and children being taught to buck the system from youth?

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If it were called “Please Don’t Kill Us”, would that be more suitable? Marxism is a massive mischaracterization for a pretty direct statement. Also, it’s very convenient to dismiss the movement and the message to avoid a deeper conversation about the underlying issue. If we are all Americans and united under one nation, ignoring the cries of your neighbors who are experiencing the country in a much different way than you on a daily basis seems disingenuous. The “tradition” you seem determined to protect has a much darker history than you’re willing to acknowledge.

What’s “convenient” is trying to dismiss the stated goals of BLM.

Nice try. You’ve hitched your message to the wrong horse.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Time for you all to accept that politics and sports are intertwined. Believe it or not it’s ok to like someone (or root for a sports team of someones) who have a different political ideology than you. I know you all would love politics in sports if the athletes were wearing pro-life or 2nd amendment patches.
To give up watching sports just because you can’t accept that the black athletes won’t “shut up and dribble” is ridiculous. I’ll enjoy my choice to watch the best athletes compete, and you can enjoy your choice to watch Rocky V for the tenth time on your Sunday afternoon.
Judging by your replies......... your Liberal take on this matter, falls on deaf ears........... btw: keep up your virtue signaling.....it's working well for you......

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Again, no one is saying there aren’t elements of prejudice in America. As was pointed out above, it exists in every society today and has since the beginning of time. What is being argued is that it’s light years away from what is being promoted by media, celebrities, etc.

Case in point. Aaron Rodgers said this week that there are antiquated racist laws that target minorities. His specifics or example? None.

Doc Rivers said there are neighborhoods that people of color can’t live in. His specifics or examples? None.

If anyone decides they want to end the cycle and get out of a bad situation, they can. There are literally millions of examples. Does it mean it’s just as easy as others may have it? Of course not. And it never will be. But that takes on an entirely different argument regarding how this is achieved. What some of us have said is that there’s been an experiment in place for 60+ years, and it has failed miserably. Why not try a different approach? Instead, the message is not only to continue destroying things, but to ramp it up.

And it really has nothing to do with politics or partisan ideals. You really need a policy or party affiliation to tell you it’s not a good idea to have a half dozen kids with multiple women? You need a policy to tell you that you shouldn’t resist the laws of the land, specifically regarding drugs(agree with them or not)? You need a policy to tell you it’s probably not a good idea to glamorize violence and gang life? Really? That’s a partisan issue in your mind and not basic common sense?

I hate seeing anyone shot and killed. But they weren’t shot because they were black. If you are a white person with a violent criminal history, and you resist arrest, ignore repeated commands, and reach into a car or go for a cop’s weapon, you’re getting lit up, plain and simple. And all of the people here that are arguing this wouldn’t care any more than they do about these guys. It’s called accountability for your actions.

I’ve given the example that I know first hand regarding the Spanish culture. How is it that Cubans, specifically the first few generations, succeeded so greatly here—in the 1960’s and ’70s no less—while essentially the same people from areas like PR and DR have not? It’s pretty simple. The Cubans embraced the new opportunity, focused on education, hard work and solid family structure, while Puerto Rican’s and Dominicans largely bucked the system, claimed they were up against it and gravitated to the ghetto culture(ghetto, not black). And as I’ve said before when I’ve thrown this out there, it’s not me saying this. It’s my Dominican father in law.

There really isn’t an argument here. There are facts of life. Whether some choose to ignore them or create a fantasy world where reality doesn’t matter(see Rivers and Rodgers) is up to them. But it doesn’t change reality.

It sounds callous saying this but if certain communities want to continue this path, that’s fine with me. It won’t affect me or my family. But if anyone thinks pushing this current agenda will do anything positive for the black community, they’re fooling themselves and/or subconsciously want to see it fail. Again, history supports that.

Last edited:

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Again, no one is saying there aren’t elements of prejudice in America. As was pointed out above, it exists in every society today and has since the beginning of time. What is being argued is that it’s light years away from what is being promoted by media, celebrities, etc.
If prejudice didn’t exist, celebrities/athletes like LeFlop wouldn’t feel the need to have bodyguards to protect them everywhere they go. Would he be found after dark in some of these rough areas of Chicago by himself, celebrity or not?

I’m betting he wouldn’t. He holds the same prejudices as others, he just does it from his mansion instead of a trailer park.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.