Butch Jones gets raise, extension

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WDCGator;n128954 said:
Considering the hand he was dealt with the state of that football program, he has done an admirable job. I understand this is Gator board and objectivity isn't a requirement for membership, but Butch Jones is a good coach.

Were you a big fan of Muschamp too?

WDCGator

The Gentleman from D.C.
Nov 20, 2014
G 2;n128958 said:
Were you a big fan of Muschamp too?

Not hardly. I never thought Will Muschamp was qualified to be the head coach at Florida. I believe that you should only hire candidates with head coaching experience for big-time jobs such as the UF one. Muschamp was in over his head his first day in Hogtown.

As far as Jones, I'm a big in believing that one's past is typically a good indicator for their future. Jones has won at every stop in his coaching career. His time at UT will be no different. I'm not saying that he will win a NC there, but 8 and 9-win seasons aren't outside of the realm of possibility for him. He is an upgrade over the past two coaches they have had.

Crucial

Sick Beat Writer
Dec 9, 2014
Yo AD, pass that purple haze!
That's what you gotta be smokin to give that fool a raise.
You out of your mind, more so than Alex Honnold.
That's a lot of cash for a guy suited for McDonalds

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WDCGator;n128959 said:
Not hardly. I never thought Will Muschamp was qualified to be the head coach at Florida. I believe that you should only hire candidates with head coaching experience for big-time jobs such as the UF one. Muschamp was in over his head his first day in Hogtown.

As far as Jones, I'm a big in believing that one's past is typically a good indicator for their future. Jones has won at every stop in his coaching career. His time at UT will be no different. I'm not saying that he will win a NC there, but 8 and 9-win seasons aren't outside of the realm of possibility for him. He is a upgrade over the past two coaches they have had.

I agree with you about the previous head coaching experience. I have no idea how you make the jump to call going 5-7 and 6-6 in a very depleted East as admirable. He did very good at Central Michigan and also improved Cincinnati as well but that doesn't mean he has the bones to become a top SEC coach. I think he will continue on with his .60 winning percentage. I'm glad UT gave him a contract extension and raise. They will be mediocre for years to come. Sure they might surprise a team or two, but they won't be winning championships.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
WDCGator;n128959 said:
He is an upgrade over the past two coaches they have had.
How is that saying anything? The last two coaches were awful, so he's just a hair above awful. He sucks and this extension is a further embarrassment to the school.

WDCGator

The Gentleman from D.C.
Nov 20, 2014
oxrageous;n128976 said:
How is that saying anything? The last two coaches were awful, so he's just a hair above awful. He sucks and this extension is a further embarrassment to the school.

Time will tell.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n128976 said:

:lol: An upgrade over the last 2 requires a pulse.

Crucial

Sick Beat Writer
Dec 9, 2014
oxrageous;128976 said:
The last two coaches were awful, so he's just a hair above awful. He sucks and this extension is a further embarrassment to the school.
So you sayin Butch is just an extension of the school, and for that the school gave him an extension? Whoa bruh, you moved me right there.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
My take on Butch Jones is I hear exactly the same excuses that Derek Dooley and his cohort used, such as the tired old "he's a couple of solid recruiting classes away from getting UT back" and what a great guy and coach he is. Meanwhile they have had exactly zero impact on the division or conference or won any signature games. The fact that they found a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against us this year says it all to me.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Loony lizards...

Discussing Butch Jones sweetheart contract? You would be better served lamenting 3 wasted years under Foley's Folly and discussing the 3 (or more) years you'll be sweating under Jimmy Boy McIlwain trying to be relevant in the SEC East.

For you our rising millionaire coach is a tempest in a teapot.

Spend your time worrying about the next jort sale at Wally World.

PS
Butch Jones > Jim McIlwain

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n129140 said:
You would be better served lamenting 3 wasted years under Foley's Folly
We actually wasted four years.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n129140 said:
Loony lizards...

Discussing Butch Jones sweetheart contract? You would be better served lamenting 3 wasted years under Foley's Folly and discussing the 3 (or more) years you'll be sweating under Jimmy Boy McIlwain trying to be relevant in the SEC East.

PS

Delusional Douchebag.....

Speaking of Contracts how bout Coach Mac's. You could only wish you had a coach as talented a JM. buUTchug's entire exisistance is all due to Mike Hamilton and you want to compare that fired waste case to Foley? Your only hope is to wish that you will be relevant in the SEC if at all.

UF's last Millionare coach was 4-0 vs. UToothless. And bUTchug never beat JM while an OC at BAMA.

Spend your time swingin' from that sack on Jonesey.

PS
You can spell bUTchug with BUTCH.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n129140 said:
Loony lizards...

PS
And yeah Alvin, haven't you learned by now? It doesn't matter who we have coaching, as far as going up against UT goes.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n129147 said:
And yeah Alvin, haven't you learned by now? It doesn't matter who we have coaching, as far as going up against UT goes.

It can't last. You know it and I know it. The hilarious part of this one-sided phenomenal streak is the devastation of the Gator Nation finally losing to Tennessee will swamp (now that's a pun) the utter ecstasy of the long suffering Vols finally winning this game.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n129152 said:
It can't last. You know it and I know it. The hilarious part of this one-sided phenomenal streak is the devastation of the Gator Nation finally losing to Tennessee will swamp (now that's a pun) the utter ecstasy of the long suffering Vols finally winning this game.
Can it last forever? Of course not. But can it last another ten years or more? You bet.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, it's the fact that we beat you ten years a row, and most of the last five decades, that is terrible for us.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n129152 said:

One thing's for sure...there'll be some coach-burning, wife-beating, goat-f****** inbreds hollering in the hills when it finally does happen. What decade will it be?

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mainland_Buc_75;n129687 said:
A whiff of interest from Meatchicken and his buyout goes to 4 million.

My gawd the meltdown will be epic if Meatchicken were to hire him. The Wolverines appear to have more bricks up in Ann Arbor so his brick by brick line would catch them well up there.

Dec 10, 2014
Jones has been a phenomenal recruiter. His game-day decisions have been pretty suspect. Tennessee is nobody's destination job, but I don't think they have to worry about Jones leaving. Nobody would seriously consider him. There was/is not merit to Michigan speculation. At the end of the day, he has a good recruiting record v. a losing record in the past two years. This has been in an absolutely pitiful SECE where UF has been garbage for five years. Contrary to a recent si.com article, I didn't see much of any of our rivals "high fiving" when McElwain was hired. Case in point: On one ut board I sometimes peruse a moderator posted the following question in response to the McElwain hire "who has the better resume over Jones v. McElwain?" Nobody on the board responded because each internet using inbred knows that McElwain has a far more substantive resume. Jones is illusionary. His whole reputation is based on maintaining what Brian Kelly did before him. I think Jones is going to end up being ut's Jim Donnan Jr. I think in a good year he'll lose two games in the east and two games in the west. He'll then perpetually win his cruddy bowl based on talent advantages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.