Gator Basketball Came for Oral, got Anal: 15 Seed Golden Eagles end Gators season

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I have always thought that if KJ ever got cleared to play, he would take his talents to the professional ranks. It’s hard to see him or his family supporting playing for free again when they see how quickly it can all be over. I think he has NBA talent so if he gets cleared I would expect that to be his next stop.

I can see your point. It will be an interesting decision. He definitely has NBA talent.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mike White has a lot to give some smaller school. Send him there, please.
The flaws in Mike White are innate; he can't "unlearn them". And worse, he cannot help but leach his core beliefs into his team's style. He doesn't have a clue, except for silently pouting, which he pours all over his players. ?? Mike White's practice routines must have no levers to raise eager-to-learn players' IQs or awareness. In-bound passes (TOs), etc fundamentals of regular on-court passes. Mike White might just be lazy? Lazy at $3-million base salary.?

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
yeah slowed things down....then ran out the shot clock...multiple times

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015

We all want tempo. But by the end of the year we could not break a press (trouble even getting the ball inbounds) and we could not press them without getting shredded. That’s on the coach. Hard to play uptempo when you cannot execute the basic tenants of the concept. The truth is while it does require a certain amount of speed or athleticism....it does not require talent as much as the need for discipline.

It’s a shame because I’m convinced that we had the horses to really get after it defensively and could have extended it half-court and full court. Even when we applied pressure-and didn’t get shredded-we almost never forced turnovers from that pressure. This team would have been exciting to watch...especially defensively...with Billy.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I'm admittedly a terrible basketball fan since Donovan left and didn't watch. But games like this, and several others that I've heard you guys rant about, tell me it's the smart move. I have enough stress in the fall.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Averaging over 16 turnovers a game down the home stretch of the season is a recipe for disaster. Give Oral Roberts a lot of credit for playing a heck of a game. It was another case of Mike White's M.O. of falling apart at the end of the game.

I think not having a primary ball handler who is a pass first type of PG was a major issue for the team. Not having KJ's on the court leadership was an issue as well. I give the players credit for not totally falling apart when KJ went down. Castleton was a pleasant surprise this year and Mann stepped it up. However, it's just time we part ways. Mike White tried and it's not working out. It's clear.

Take a cue from Marquette and Minnesota and Indiana. Enough is enough.

I don't know what the future holds for KJ, but if he can't play again I think coaching is in his future.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018

This is a damning indictment on White's coaching tenure and should be Exhibit A on why he gets sent packing in the offseason.

Dooley's halfassed reply ignores the reality that losing 3x in the Elite 8 is a vastly different thing than losing in the opening weekend...as White has repeatedly done.

White inherited a program that regularly made Elite 8s. Our current status is a team that's perennially a 7 Seed and gets bounced in the 2nd round. A change needs to be made.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This certainly looks like info that would make you want to slow things down, right! I mean...if we had a turnover problem, sure...but....

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I was very angry and I really think that the coach is a lot of the problem. This team melts late in games, turns the ball over way too often, makes bad fouls, and poor decisions. Now sometimes they can do the right things so I really don't understand how they can be so inconsistant.

I also don't understand how a team can be tired when first they use a very deep bench and leave some on the bench who had been effective in the past sit there.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Averaging over 16 turnovers a game down the home stretch of the season is a recipe for disaster. Give Oral Roberts a lot of credit for playing a heck of a game. It was another case of Mike White's M.O. of falling apart at the end of the game.

I think not having a primary ball handler who is a pass first type of PG was a major issue for the team. Not having KJ's on the court leadership was an issue as well. I give the players credit for not totally falling apart when KJ went down. Castleton was a pleasant surprise this year and Mann stepped it up. However, it's just time we part ways. Mike White tried and it's not working out. It's clear.

Take a cue from Marquette and Minnesota and Indiana. Enough is enough.

I don't know what the future holds for KJ, but if he can't play again I think coaching is in his future.

Well stated on all points.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I got what I expected....... how can I be mad or disappointed?

I won't watch Gator BB at all....... it's just the same chit show, over and over...

Mike White Coaches to avoid losing, not win.

As was already posted, "you are what your record says you are"!

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I knew we were dead when there was about 7 minutes left, and White had Tre Mann running out the clock.

Just stand there for 20 seconds, and get off a contested 18 footer with no screen or motion. This happened 3-4 possessions in a row.

Mickey Mouse coaching

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.