Can we now be glad we have Mullen and not....

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Francois is a good qb.

You think the picks (the two other than the deflection at the end) were just rust? I honestly haven't watched enough of FSU with him at QB to know. He didn't seem to have a lot of touch on the deep ball, though. I think they could have some real issues on their OL. Their DL looked good against the pass and good against the run when they were expecting it as the Hokies tried to burn clock. Their corners look like they could have some trouble all year against bigger receivers in man.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
You think the picks (the two other than the deflection at the end) were just rust? I honestly haven't watched enough of FSU with him at QB to know. He didn't seem to have a lot of touch on the deep ball, though. I think they could have some real issues on their OL. Their DL looked good against the pass and good against the run when they were expecting it as the Hokies tried to burn clock. Their corners look like they could have some trouble all year against bigger receivers in man.
He’s always been turnover prone. As a freshman it was the one big knock on him. They thought he’d turn the corner last year and had heisman aspirations, and we all know what happened game 1. He has no qb coach at FSU. Taggart decided not to hire one and took that position for himself and he isn’t a qb coach. So I doubt he progresses much but he is a very talented qb.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Francois is a good qb. He, Akers, and Burns were the highlights as well as that Laborn kid.

5 star Levonta Taylor got punked all night

Nonsense. They have no talent. Those #3, #2, and #5 recruiting classes that are now upperclassmen are a figment of your imagination. WT's gonna have to pull another Western Kentucky type miracle to even get them to a bowl.

You or I expecting him to compete with(or score against) a team like VT is ridiculous, especially considering this was their 2018 preview:

"This is hardly a perfect Virginia Tech football team coming into the season.

It loses five key starters off the defense; there isn’t a sure-thing No. 1 receiver to rely on; the linebacking corps only has a handful of players with a few more tackles of college experience than you do; and the running game that’s been mediocre for so long – at least in terms of yards per carry – probably won’t be appreciably better."

Preview 2018: Virginia Tech Hokies. Good Team + Great Schedule = ...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No. Because I gave you the proof. You don't put the ball in a QB's hand with the game on the line, in a game that had no reason being close, if he is not at least on equal footing with the other QB. It's no big deal. You were wrong about something that doesn't even matter anymore, why not just say so and move on? Or are you going to continue to argue that Will Grier was clearly "the guy" in Butter's mind even though when the game was on the line he put someone other than "the guy" in? Seriously, dude.

5-Star, what happened before Harris was put in the game against ECU? After Grier ran 8 of the first 10 series on offense. Grier left the game with a 24-14 lead in the 4th quarter. We had a 10 point lead verse ECU and gave the Backup quarterback some time on offense. Holy Schit. That shows how close the race was.

McElwain was a garbage head coach, and a garbage human being.

But what you are selling is that Grier was obviously put on display during the O&B game having started with the 1s on the orange team (every quarterback was on the blue team, Guy 12 attempts lead). Then he had the most series by double against ECU, but that isn't important as Harris having series when the game should have been in hand. Then against Kentucky a game which by no stretch of the imagination was clean, the competition was so close that Harris got 0 series. Honestly, if you don't see how that doesn't make sense, what facts do I need to present

Passing Attempts (through 3 games):
Grier 57 Harris 27

Rushing attempts (through 3 games):
Grier 19 Harris 8

McElwain is a fool on an epic level, and should ever coach a P5 school again. But the facts just don't line up with your narrative.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
5-Star, what happened before Harris was put in the game against ECU? After Grier ran 8 of the first 10 series on offense. Grier left the game with a 24-14 lead in the 4th quarter. We had a 10 point lead verse ECU and gave the Backup quarterback some time on offense. Holy Schit. That shows how close the race was.

This is a great example of confirmation bias. Don't address pile-driving, skull crushing reality of what I pointed out about a game in doubt - instead try to pick the facts that you like better. Including, of all things, the spring game. :headslap:

I'm not going waste anymore time on this - as it doesn't even really matter. I'm not the one with a narrative here. It's what the coach said, it's what the beat writers said, it is what the game situation says. It's a hell of a story you're trying to tell though. Facing a possible loss to a non-power 5 huge underdog, at home, in his second game, the coach goes to the clear number two on a drive that could determine the outcome of the game. :rotfl: Okay, sure buddy. He did everything he could to hand the job to Treon.

I know you're wrong and you know you're wrong - hell, I bet both our moms could read this and know you're wrong. Some people just can't admit it for whatever reason - which is ridiculous because this is something that doesn't even really matter any more. I'll give you one last piece of evidence - from the yearly anonymous players interviewed from Inside the Gators. If you won't accept the truth from the lips of a guy in the locker room, well - I guess you're just not going to accept it.

"Will was and is a complete baller. The problem was he and MAC [Jim McElwain] didn't always see eye-to-eye. I'm not saying they didn't like each other personally, but he [McElwain] made it obvious that Will wasn't his first choice. The only reason he was playing Will that year because he had no one else. He tried to force feed the job to Treon [Harris], but he wasn't as talented as Will. That was plain in practice that year, but after they started playing the game on TV and in-front of fans, he couldn't pretend like they were equals. The quarterback MAC really wanted, he had faith in Luke Del Rio, but he had to sit out that year and could play the next year. That was his guy. Everyone could see that he was all in on him [LDR], I mean, he wasn't going to be able to play and they were giving him reps in camp, and was just trying to get through 2015 so he could play his guy the next year [2016 when Del Rio was eligible after sitting out a transfer season]."

Butters was wrong too. While all of us could see WG was clearly the better player and the players could too, Butters couldn't bring himself to give him the job until he was basically forced to by Treon's off the field stupidity and WG's heroics against UT.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is a great example of confirmation bias. Don't address pile-driving, skull crushing reality of what I pointed out about a game in doubt - instead try to pick the facts that you like better. Including, of all things, the spring game. :headslap:

In doubt? It was ECU with a 10 point lead at home in the 4th quarter.... but that is your only proof that is verifiable?

I'm not going waste anymore time on this - as it doesn't even really matter. I'm not the one with a narrative here. It's what the coach said, it's what the beat writers said, it is what the game situation says. It's a hell of a story you're trying to tell though. Facing a possible loss to a non-power 5 huge underdog, at home, in his second game, the coach goes to the clear number two on a drive that could determine the outcome of the game. :rotfl: Okay, sure buddy. He did everything he could to hand the job to Treon.

This is a common tactic by you, when you don't have verifiable proof. Going with the I know I'm right? So if Harris was so equal, you forget the other three quarters of the game or the following game.

I know you're wrong and you know you're wrong - hell, I bet both our moms could read this and know you're wrong. Some people just can't admit it for whatever reason - which is ridiculous because this is something that doesn't even really matter any more. I'll give you one last piece of evidence - from the yearly anonymous players interviewed from Inside the Gators. If you won't accept the truth from the lips of a guy in the locker room, well - I guess you're just not going to accept it.

Some people don't admit it... You are basically McElwain at a presser with your statements. "I know the numbers and the game film doesn't match what I'm saying... but I'm right. You know I'm right" That is what you are suggesting to me. That the competition was so equal Grier had double the series in the ECU game and Grier played the whole Kentucky game.

"Will was and is a complete baller. The problem was he and MAC [Jim McElwain] didn't always see eye-to-eye. I'm not saying they didn't like each other personally, but he [McElwain] made it obvious that Will wasn't his first choice. The only reason he was playing Will that year because he had no one else. He tried to force feed the job to Treon [Harris], but he wasn't as talented as Will. That was plain in practice that year, but after they started playing the game on TV and in-front of fans, he couldn't pretend like they were equals. The quarterback MAC really wanted, he had faith in Luke Del Rio, but he had to sit out that year and could play the next year. That was his guy. Everyone could see that he was all in on him [LDR], I mean, he wasn't going to be able to play and they were giving him reps in camp, and was just trying to get through 2015 so he could play his guy the next year [2016 when Del Rio was eligible after sitting out a transfer season]."

Grier did do things McElwain didn't like, he is a gambler. Harris was a safer with the ball no doubt about it. But you have one quote and you rmemory of one 4th quarter drive while we were up by 7 in a game our defense was dominating (drive ended in a TD). But that is more important than what is on the film, what is in the drive summaries, what actually happened?

I don't disagree with you that Grier and McElwain didn't see eye to eye. Schit McElwain hated Chad Grier, which I'm sure didn't help. LDR is the guy McElwain trusted, but he wasn't available. If what you are claiming to be true, why didn't Harris start against ECU, or have more than garbage drives. Why wasn't he in the game when the game really was in question.

Butters was wrong too. While all of us could see WG was clearly the better player and the players could too, Butters couldn't bring himself to give him the job until he was basically forced to by Treon's off the field stupidity and WG's heroics against UT.

Again, telling me how you are right, instead of providing facts to the table. Unless you have FACTS, not your truths. You have yet to explain why Grier still have double the series Harris did against ECU (which is the crucially part of your argument) or what Harris didn't see the field in Kentucky as the only quarterback with SEC game experience at the time in a game that was horribly played.

The problem for you is, the actual facts, the game film, the drive summaries, the box scores don't agree with what you are saying. If Harris was truly equal to Grier in the eyes of the staff, then the difference in plays and drives wouldn't be so slanted towards Grier. But even in the O&B game Grier played with the 1s and Harris was with the 2s.

You at pretending like none of this happened. Like it isn't on film and in the stats sheets.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nonsense. They have no talent. Those #3, #2, and #5 recruiting classes that are now upperclassmen are a figment of your imagination. WT's gonna have to pull another Western Kentucky type miracle to even get them to a bowl..
:lmao2:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah! I think he's about to turn the clown program around...
Oh yeah!

But you gotta be a losing team for three years before Slick Willie can make you 7-5.

He has managed eight wins twice in the last eight years, so big things are coming.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nonsense. They have no talent. Those #3, #2, and #5 recruiting classes that are now upperclassmen are a figment of your imagination. WT's gonna have to pull another Western Kentucky type miracle to even get them to a bowl.

You or I expecting him to compete with(or score against) a team like VT is ridiculous, especially considering this was their 2018 preview:

"This is hardly a perfect Virginia Tech football team coming into the season.

It loses five key starters off the defense; there isn’t a sure-thing No. 1 receiver to rely on; the linebacking corps only has a handful of players with a few more tackles of college experience than you do; and the running game that’s been mediocre for so long – at least in terms of yards per carry – probably won’t be appreciably better."

Preview 2018: Virginia Tech Hokies. Good Team + Great Schedule = ...

brilliant.gif

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Oh yeah!

But you gotta be a losing team for three years before Slick Willie can make you 7-5.

He has managed eight wins twice in the last eight years, so big things are coming.

While at USF where his teams have more talent than just about every other team in the AAC. Still couldn't win the conference.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
By now we can go ahead and state there wasn’t a better candidate or realistic candidate since Swonkey refuses to answer the question Its a shtick

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
At no point would I ever consider a coach w a losing conference record who also lost to a D2 team.

Ever.

We were trying to get rid of those type coaches.... I thought.

One thing Ive learned with criminals, business people, attorneys, almost everyone is that you are what your record says you are.

You can try spiking the ball in the endzone after Charleston but you should know by now it is going to bounce into your gonads again, like always.

Do we HOPE he is better this go around? sure. Are you likely yo look like a fool again for pretending his record isnt mediocre at best? Of course.
The like is purely for your quote edit. Literally made me laugh out loud.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Wait ! ? There's some chance Will Grier might transfer back to UF?

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
All the long-faced mustard and ketchup fans would agree with you. He's turned fsu's offense into a steaming pile of dung in record time. I can't believe I felt this way cause I hate the assnoles with a passion, but at the end of that game I was actually feeling sorry for Taggert. He looked like a lost pup with no clue what to do next.
FSUs offense was trash last year with an even better HC and offensive mind in Jimbo. It shows that their OL is trash and there is no reason why we shouldn't destroy them in Nov if Mullen is a better coach with a better staff.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
He might have. He might have had to reach by 500-750k because Tennessee appeared to be ready to pounce and the dropoff in candidates after Mullen was huge. Was he worth it? In terms of where we are, I suspect he was. We'll know for sure by the end of next season.
Then you let UT have him. A new 20 million dollar mistake is easier to fix than a $36M+ mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.