Can we now be glad we have Mullen and not....

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is my biggest gripe. That, recruiting and the buyout. I expect us to kill cupcakes but Mullen is being paid beat Bama $. Mullens a good coach I just don't think he's an elite coach. Which given how we've struggled recruiting isn't good. We'll see when we play lsu, msu, UGA and FSU. I'll gladly admit being wrong.
And if we paid him $4.5m, you'd be griping we were being cheap.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I admire the fact that Omar takes nothing but abuse and rarely engages it. The guy isn't a Nole - maybe you guys should consider giving it a rest.
giphy.gif

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Chip Kelly was #1 on my list of coaches I did NOT want!!!! Cousin Eddie was #2 on that list. Regardless of who the coach is I am not going to make any conclusions based on one press conference, one practice, one game, or one season. I will judge over time. what I wanted was a guy who cares about the entire game of football, and Kelly is clearly not that. We will see about Cousin Eddie, but making some ridiculous conclusion based on a game against a team that plays 8 man Iowa high school football is silly.
How did you feel about Butters? Chump?

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Taggart is a quota hire, nothing more. A sub .500 career record proves it. Herm Edwards is 100 times the coach he is, and he hasn't coached in forever and never in college.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Neither Meyer nor Saban looked as clueless as WT did last night. And in Meyer's case, he had a wrong fit at QB, which accounted for 90% of our troubles, and it was on the road. There was literally no one who felt Francois was a bad fit for this offense. And it wasn't just that. The entire team looked like garbage. And you can't even possibly compare the talent level between VT and the noles.

As for knowing Mac sucked in year 1, Kelly gets a pass for losing to Cincinnati because he lost a QB. But Mac sucked for losing to fsu, Alabama and Michigan despite losing Grier? That makes zero sense.

No one has crowned Mullen. But I'm thrilled we didn't hire WT. He's an absolute clown.
I thought going into the season that Francois and Blackmon were both bad fits for taggarts offense . Its showed last night. His offense requires a running qb. At least from what I've seen of it anyhow. Even the guy they have committed looks like a bad fit.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
AND YET, Donkers didn't or couldn't answer the question that was asked multiple times in the thread. Which coach would he prefer over Mullen? He has been asked MANY times in the chat box and signs off right away every time...

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
AND YET, Donkers didn't or couldn't answer the question that was asked multiple times in the thread. Which coach would he prefer over Mullen? He has been asked MANY times in the chat box and signs off right away every time...

He answered. Any top 50 offense HC or OC who has a winning conference record.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Mullen got boat raced by most of the secw. I wouldn't call that swimming. Recruiting coordinators don't turn around 3 programs. Taggart maybe in over his head. We'll see

Actually' thats exactly what they can, and often, do. No different than Zook temporarily breathing life into a traditional B10 doormat. Great recruiters typically are high energy guys that grab attention and create a buzz. They simply can’t sustain it on that buzz alone and ultimately fail. I’ll give WT for being smart enough to keep parlaying his “success” into bigger, better jobs, not sticking around long enough to be truly judged. But any notion that he has any substance whatsoever is ludicrous. He’s always sold a vision and a “wait and see” approach. He finally has everyone’s attention and completely fell apart on national television.

Again, not sure where this thread goes off course on whether or no Mullen is great. The statement was he’s looking like a better option thus far than Kelly or Taggart. I think that’s a fair assessment.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
WKU lost 22 straight before Taggart was hired. USF was 2-14 in the big East in skip holtz's last 16 games. In his first game at USF they got beat by FCS Mcneese St 52-20. That's how bad they were. Oregon went from a playoff team to 4-8 to Taggart improving them to 7-5 despite losing his top QB for most of the year. He maintained the offense and the Leavitt hire improved the defense massively. There's no doubt he can turn around programs.

Last edited:

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
WKU lost 22 straight before Taggart was hired. USF was 2-14 in the big East in skip holtz's last 16 games. In his first game at USF they got beat by FCS Mcneese St 52-20. That's how bad they were. Oregon went from a playoff team to 4-8 to Taggart improving them to 7-5 despite losing his top QB for most of the year. He maintained the offense and the Leavitt hire improved the defense massively. There's no doubt he can turn around programs.

All the long-faced mustard and ketchup fans would agree with you. He's turned fsu's offense into a steaming pile of dung in record time. I can't believe I felt this way cause I hate the assnoles with a passion, but at the end of that game I was actually feeling sorry for Taggert. He looked like a lost pup with no clue what to do next.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Did you watch either game? UCLA was playing a true freshman at QB after Speight got hurt. FSU has no OL or WRs. They looked just like us under WM. Time will tell who made the best hire and a win against a hs level team means nothing.

I watched F$U and saw a highly talented team get dominated by a very young and inexperienced Va Tech team that was better prepared, played with much more effort and executed in every phase of the game. “No OL or WRs” on a team with top 6 recruiting classes 3 of the last 4 years? Right. And I don’t recall Taggert being on UF’s radar at all in the search process.

I did not watch UCLA. Cincinnati was a 4-8 American Conference team last year. UCLA should be able to handle them.

No one is saying week 1 is the final word. Of course time will tell. But week 1 did not look good for either.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
. One other thing. Mullen's track record with QB's from Alexis Smith to Dak Prescott is quite a resume point for Coach Mullen. I'm not saying he's going to lead us to the promise land by any stretch of the imagination. What I AM saying is he won't lead us to Dante's 9 level of hell like McElwain did.
Got me an early morning laugh from that one..........

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Would Mullen have been hired if Scott Stricklin was NOT our AD?
No we would have ended up with an “up and coming” special teams coach in the Big Sky conference, and paid him by the hour with a small car allowance.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wrong. I'm all for paying coaches what they are worth. Mullen has done nothing to command a top 10 salary and guaranteed $12M buyout. Stricklin got desperate.
He might have. He might have had to reach by 500-750k because Tennessee appeared to be ready to pounce and the dropoff in candidates after Mullen was huge. Was he worth it? In terms of where we are, I suspect he was. We'll know for sure by the end of next season.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017

The only difference that matters is the CJM believed that Grier and Harris should be in a QB battle. If you don't believe that this staff, with any of the shortcomings it may have, is light years better than a guy who can't recognize that difference - then I don't know what to tell you. One of these things was clearly not like the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.