"Chasing, Never Leading!" - Mac's Recruiting Motto

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you are dying at a position you worry about putting them on a diet when they get on campus.

That's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is, if he was told his offer was contingent on him reaching a certain weight or body fat %, and he not only failed to meet that requirement, but actually went significantly the other way, what does that tell our coaches? Perhaps it tells them he doesn't take the offer, nor college football in general, as seriously as they expect from their players? Or perhaps it tells them he isn't very coachable because he doesn't listen to sound advice from the coaches he would be coached by? Kinda like being told to ALWAYS check with your trainers before taking any over-the-counter supplements, huh? Not listening to your coaches can lead to major problems. Maybe they took back the offer to avoid the writing on the wall?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
That's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is, if he was told his offer was contingent on him reaching a certain weight or body fat %, and he not only failed to meet that requirement, but actually went significantly the other way, what does that tell our coaches? Perhaps it tells them he doesn't take the offer, nor college football in general, as seriously as they expect from their players? Or perhaps it tells them he isn't very coachable because he doesn't listen to sound advice from the coaches he would be coached by? Kinda like being told to ALWAYS check with your trainers before taking any over-the-counter supplements, huh? Not listening to your coaches can lead to major problems. Maybe they took back the offer to avoid the writing on the wall?
Possibly Nav, but when the dude is literally your last and only option, maybe taking a risk is better than just having a dash where someones name should be on the roster? Who knows, but what I do know is you don't get better without getting players.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Possibly Nav, but when the dude is literally your last and only option, maybe taking a risk is better than just having a dash where someones name should be on the roster? Who knows, but what I do know is you don't get better without getting players.

I get what you're saying, but the coaches know more about these kids than we ever will. Maybe he had other red flags and this just was just the tipping over point? :dunno:

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
How did they keep him?
They didn't...but if a kid wants to go somewhere else there is literally nothing you can do. I'm not making excuses for Mac...his recruiting sucks but this nonsense is brought up every year that there is some magical thing a coach can do to keep from having a recruit decommit.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
If we are relying on Cece...Ancrum...and Riles to play DT next year I'm not even going to watch. I'm 34 and in no way am i ready to "stroke out" just yet :lol:

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
trust me I get what your saying and if we had enough numbers I wouldn't care. Unfortunately this is a critical position for the SEC and we need as many bodies as we can get, whether they work out or not. The fact FSU is going to land him doesn't make it any better.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If we are relying on Cece...Ancrum...and Riles to play DT next year I'm not even going to watch. I'm 34 and in no way am i ready to "stroke out" just yet :lol:
We are absolutely going to be doing that again next year.

Might as well punch out now.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mari, no one signed in February will be ready to play next year at DT. It just doesn't happen. January JUCOs yes, but not true freshmen. Even Sharrif Floyd and Easley weren't ready.

Especially the 3 star kids we will be shopping won't be ready.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Oh boy, so our D is now becoming our O as in futility... :faint:

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
We have 3 DBs committed. Toney might play corner, but that is a couple of years down the road. While we do need 1 or 2 more DBs, we need some f'in DTs. What is he doing about that? Here is who we'll have next year,

Khairi Clark
Tanner Rowell (walkon, 275lbs)
Taven Bryan
Cece Jefferson
Luke Ancrum

I list Cece and Ancrum because they have played DT at some point this year. Basically, we'll have 2 guys for next year unless I'm missing someone. Mac is a joke. He's taking Chump's destruction of the gator program and building on it. We could move a guy like Riles, but it usually takes time to learn how to play a new position. It is doubtful he'd be able to contribute.
Don't worry, the 3rd year guys like Teez and Wilson are coming back to help the team.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Don't get me started!!!

The big issue here is this: this staff is going to get fired....and they are going to leave BOTH sides of the ball in bad shape. The next guy is really going to have his work cut out. It's a shame. But we hired 2 dud's in a row. "The lost decade...."

If Mac doesnt recover on recruiting some the defense could be in some major trouble also years down the road if he is canned after Year 3.

Last edited:

TheSaintThing05

Founding Member
Frost or death
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
I do have a serious question. Have there ever been any coaches at big programs like Florida that struggle this bad with recruiting and then suddenly turn it around? I honestly don't know, but I doubt it. I keep hearing fans say "Mac is gonna have to start pulling in blue chippers", but I just don't know how. Either you have it, or you don't.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I do have a serious question. Have there ever been any coaches at big programs like Florida that struggle this bad with recruiting and then suddenly turn it around? I honestly don't know, but I doubt it. I keep hearing fans say "Mac is gonna have to start pulling in blue chippers", but I just don't know how. Either you have it, or you don't.
No...

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

And that's the issue. It's quite obvious to everyone, except those wearing very thick O&B glasses, that this coach...and his staff...do not "have it". We all know he gets another year (at a minimum) so we'll have to suffer through another year of the "lost decade". But once next season ends and we have a 6-6, 7-5 type record w/ another loss to FSU, it will be time to cut him loose. That's when we'll see what the AD is made of. Unless one of these two freshman QBs turns out to be a superstar, it's just not going to happen. This offense isn't going to all of a sudden become a scoring machine. It's not. We all know that. In fact, it will likely take a step back w/ a freshman at the helm (at least for the first few games). The potential ugly loss to Michigan is going to start the year off w/ a bang (a bad "bang") and set the tone for the fans calling (screaming) for his head. Let's see what he does w/ the staff changes this off-season also. He's hard-headed, so I imagine he won't do what he should do.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Stars don't matter. Mac finds diamonds. Just look at all the 5 stars busts. Stars are overrated. Give me a kid that wants to be a gator with a heart rather than those prima donna blue chippers.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
From seccountry:

3-star DT Tyrone Truesdell, Augusta, Ga.
Defensive tackle is one of the Gators’ biggest needs, and now they’re desperate following the recent de-commitments of Fred Hansard and Jordon Scott. UF has just one pledge at the position, junior college transfer Javier Edwards. Truesdell is Florida’s best bet to add a prep prospect to the class.

He named the Gators his leader after his visit for the Kentucky game and still maintains they’re his favorite. Truesdell has official visits set to Kentucky (Dec. 10), Louisville (Jan. 13), Florida (Jan. 20) and Ole Miss (Jan. 27). Even with these trips scheduled, sources close to Truesdell have told SEC Country it’s only a matter of time before he joins the Gators’ class. The UF staff is also expected to pursue him even harder now following the loss of Hansard.

Tyrone-Truesdell-by-Michael-Carvell-DSC_8225_vtlemb.jpg

3-star defensive tackle Tyrone Truesdell. (Michael Carvell/SEC Country)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator