Chip Kelly to UCLA: $4 Mil/Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvgJoe

Nov 14, 2017
I'm remain unconvinced Strong can't be a good D1 coach, but it's moot here. Kelly is the obvious #1 followed by Frost.

Plus there's not a chance we hire a defensive minded HC with the current offensive malaise we are enduring.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The information I gave you guys was 100% genuine, straight from the mouth of someone in the UAA. The fact that they were hoping to announce Kelly today is 100% true. Assuming it doesn't happen, then the contract situation is still being worked out.

We are running out of time for recruiting purposes and Stricklin damn well knows every day counts.
tenor.gif

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Plus there's not a chance we hire a defensive minded HC with the current offensive malaise we are enduring.

Perhaps reason #1 why Strong won't get hired in spite of the offensive numbers USF is putting up.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I just listened to Doofey's podcast with special guest James Bates....and he said EXACTLY word for word what I have been saying all along, his number one choice is Charlie Strong. Bates goes on to say that he has been a CEO before, knows Florida and especially SoFla in recruiting and that he is "one of us" and gets Gator Nation. I am in the waayyyy minority here but I have said all along, Charlie is my number one candidate. I think Kelly would be a good hire. Frost also a good hire. Strong will bring a Gator culture back to the program that neither of them I believe will bring....IMO.

Like Dooley is in the know. He gets all his info from Gator Chatter.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
So just being on a previous coaching staff makes him one of “us”. Jesus.

If I remember correctly, up until WM's tenure, Charlie had spent time on every Gator staff going back to Pell. So he certainly has a long history with UF, and he's talked about his family's connection to Gville. And as I've stated several times, there might've been a period where he would've possibly been a good option for us. This is not that period. Love Charlie, but we need something different right now.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Would y'all be willing to wait till Monday or Tuesday if Kelly were the eventual choice? It may turn out that way.

God help us all in the meantime. :lol:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
If I remember correctly, up until WM's tenure, Charlie had spent time on every Gator staff going back to Pell. So he certainly has a long history with UF, and he's talked about his family's connection to Gville. And as I've stated several times, there might've been a period where he would've possibly been a good option for us. This is not that period. Love Charlie, but we need something different right now.
This man speaks the truth. Love Charlie, but that ship has sailed.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I like Charlie, too, but if he gets hired stick around to watch the Chernobyl-esque meltdown on this board. it will be gruesome
This is comical because all the USF fans I know last night were wanting him gone. They feel as though they are the most pathetic 1-loss team and the fact that he is ok kneeling before halves and refusing to run up the score, is a testament of Charlie being Champ 2.0.....f that shiz!

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
He's not BSing on the source. He shared it with me. It's legitimately, if not directly, connected to the UAA, which makes it very difficult to refute.

I believe that Ox has a source... I just don't believe his source gets accurate information.

- Everybody is saying Kelly is going to be the coach so I give no credit for that.

- He was wrong on the announcement coming today... although he did say "hoping/expecting"

- I think the whole considering not to play in a bowl game to focus on recruiting is complete BS his source made up to make it sound like he knew something, but if you spend 10 seconds thinking about it you realize that a bowl game would have absolutely no impact on Kelly's ability to focus on recruiting!!!

So really there is nothing here worth anything.

1. Kelly will be coach - everybody is saying this
2. "hopefully/expecting" - gives you a nice out if it doesn't happen...
3. Try to keep Shannon (again.. it doesn't happen and it was "try")
4. Bowl game - we probably won't get invited because we won't beat FSU

Bottom line... Ox's source feeds him BS so that the source can feel more important.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Texas' scholarship count capped low during Strong's tenure?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So here’s a suggestion. Why don’t we change the thread title to “Chip Kelly to be Hired TOMORROW!” And then don’t ever change it. Eventually, some day, the thread title will be correct for a change.

Fitting for this hire, since tomorrow never comes.

We could play strip poker to pass the time. :dunno:

My part would be a cartoon strip.

OH, hell no. I want my $40 back.

So Durfish, you were left bucks naked?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I believe that Ox has a source... I just don't believe his source gets accurate information.

- Everybody is saying Kelly is going to be the coach so I give no credit for that.

- He was wrong on the announcement coming today... although he did say "hoping/expecting"

- I think the whole considering not to play in a bowl game to focus on recruiting is complete BS his source made up to make it sound like he knew something, but if you spend 10 seconds thinking about it you realize that a bowl game would have absolutely no impact on Kelly's ability to focus on recruiting!!!

So really there is nothing here worth anything.

1. Kelly will be coach - everybody is saying this
2. "hopefully/expecting" - gives you a nice out if it doesn't happen...
3. Try to keep Shannon (again.. it doesn't happen and it was "try")
4. Bowl game - we probably won't get invited because we won't beat FSU

Bottom line... Ox's source feeds him BS so that the source can feel more important.
My friend, you are wrong. Period. My source doesn't have to feel important - he IS important. I don't give a crap if you believe it or not, but it's the truth.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Texas' scholarship count capped during Strong's tenure?

To my knowledge, no. They were woefully undermanned because he's a disciplinarian and kicked off a bunch of kids who weren't "buying in". Very similar to us 2011-13.

I'm sure he learned a less from that as well. There's a major political side to ADs. In one conversation, they're telling you "you're our guy, we're gonna give you time to fix a known bad situation". In another they're selling boosters on the idea the "this is the guy that can produce, right away, make your check payable to...".

A few years in to his overhaul, those boosters were looking for a roi that, at best, was still a few years out. Toxicity ensues.

Last edited:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
My friend, you are wrong. Period. My source IS important. I don't give a crap if you believe it or not, but it's the truth.

Hey very well may be important, but he hasn't given you one piece of info that has proven accurate... I think you are getting played sir.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Hey very well may be important, but he hasn't given you one piece of info that has proven accurate... I think you are getting played sir.
I wish I could say more, but I can't. I'm going to bite my tongue.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This is comical because all the USF fans I know last night were wanting him gone. They feel as though they are the most pathetic 1-loss team and the fact that he is ok kneeling before halves and refusing to run up the score, is a testament of Charlie being Champ 2.0.....f that shiz!
USF fans saying this is hilarious to me. They should know their place.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Is it possible he's gotten information from more than one source?

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
USF fans saying this is hilarious to me. They should know their place.
The sentiment is their offense is very Adazzio-esqu with the run up the gut over and over then punt. They were a 21 point fave last night and needed the last drive to win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator