Chip Kelly to UCLA: $4 Mil/Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think if we go to Tuesday or Wednesday with no escalation of this story, you can probably give it its proper burial at that point.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Source for that article ... tweet from that Darren Heitner. And .. SDS ... maintstream?

I don't consider Heitner mainstream, or a member of the media for that fact, although he was accurate about Mac.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
You might be in for a rude awakening then. Our facilities (and I mean any of them) are not up-to-date due a choice by the UAA leadership, Foley. Strickland and others are in catch-up mode.
I agree with you, the house is crumbling due to neglect. When that happens, you start to rebuild by shoring up the foundation. You don't wast money first fixing up the back shed and hope you have enough left over once you finally get around to what matters.

backstop13

Behind Enemy Lines
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I hope you're right and Stricklin has the pull to make happen what needs to happen. I guess I'm just afraid it's the higher ups (UF Admin) that's held our facilities down.

Stricklin has about 20 years of catch up to do to make up for the former slum lords lack of upgrades. Funding and planning the types of upgrades we need take time, especially considering how tight space is. From what I understand, SS wasn’t afraid to spend money at cowbell. Unless the board blocks his decisions, I would imagine we’ll start trying to catch up shortly.

NetEngGator

Nov 5, 2017
I don't consider Heitner mainstream, although he was accurate about Mac.

That article was written soley based on the tweet from Heitner. I don't considere SDS mainstream either. I am not really disagreeing with you, just with the use of mainstream media. I say that because the mainstream media has been deathly quiet with approaching the CK to Florida smoke. In fact ... I was amazed all day as I watch football and all the halftime and between/before games show that nobody really even talked about it. Frost got more time in the same sentence of UF today. Really puzzling.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So you're denying the number of mainstream media outlets that believe there has been contact between the parties? You have to admit, there've been quite a few. I consider that smoke.

I believe absolutely nothing from any of these people. Put them all together and I might suspect that something is true. But I'll probably be wrong. My theory is that if it's Chip, agreement on compensation is tricky. Why would he want to get paid in year one? Wouldn't he prefer to get paid after the NFL stops throwing money at him? How does that work. How many lawyers does it take to figure out how to pull that off without the NFL or Chip, or Florida crying foul when things go South.

Just one more stupid theory.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Depends on how much goes in it. A baseball stadium is mostly concrete with very little MEP (mechanical, electrical, plumbing) in it that isn’t exposed. The more rooms and plumbing and the less amount of concrete and it will take longer. That being said most 2 story red iron buildings we document are done in a 12 month period when they adverage around 150k SF. Think of a two story classroom building. Those take a year without any holdups from the owner. I’ve seen elementary schools completely done in 6 months that are the same size.

Again, for space we're boxed in -- so think outside the box = build over a portion of the stadium parking lot. What % of that lot would be needed to create 200k sq. ft.? The outer structural can be completed in 9 months with interior refinements taking longer. Interiors won't require exclusion of cars below. "Work it out without sending the message to baseball recruits, track & field recruits, etc. that they don't count at UF. That portion of the parking lot won't be used for 9 months i.e., our home games end in Nov. "Rope it off."

Didn't the say on game day that the Dawgs are getting a 63 million dollar locker room facility
Yeah, but you just don't realize the cost of all those fire hydrants for their restroom.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I believe absolutely nothing from any of these people. Put them all together and I might suspect that something is true. But I'll probably be wrong. My theory is that if it's Chip, agreement on compensation is tricky. Why would he want to get paid in year one? Wouldn't he prefer to get paid after the NFL stops throwing money at him? How does that work. How many lawyers does it take to figure out how to pull that off without the NFL or Chip, or Florida crying foul when things go South.

Just one more stupid theory.

The Eagles contract contains offset language, but I'm not aware the Niners contract does. I'm pretty sure it doesn't. That means he could haul in a combined huge sum.

I honestly think it's more about the guy wanting to coach. He's obviously very well taken care of financially.

NetEngGator

Nov 5, 2017
Address Low's comment.

You mean Chris Lowe on 3HL podcast (whatever it is) where he just spitballs crap and they laugh? Seemed like opinion based from the hip stuff. What it wasnt ... Chris Lowe sitting behind an ESPN camera reporting stuff. That isn't mainstream.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So if there is offset language pay me a dollar this year. Guarantee to pay me later. I'm not sure if he could get away with it. NFL attorneys would probably flip out.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You mean Chris Lowe on 3HL podcast (whatever it is) where he just spitballs crap and they laugh? Seemed like opinion based from the hip stuff. What it wasnt ... Chris Lowe sitting behind an ESPN camera reporting stuff. That isn't mainstream.

“I think for a while there I thought that was going to happen, and I’m starting to hear now that Chip Kelly — and of course there are two sides of every story, you know when a school doesn’t get a coach, well he wasn’t our first choice — maybe Kelly is backing away a little bit from that,” Low said. “I don’t think it’s nearly as likely as I thought it was earlier this week.”

https://florida.247sports.com/Article/Florida-Gators-and-Chip-Kelly-deal-could-fall-through-according-to-ESPNs-Chris-Low-110644380

backstop13

Behind Enemy Lines
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014

ESPN and the rest of the “mainstream” media will announce the hire long after the story has broken. They’re afraid to be wrong. What you’re talking about happened 10 years ago in coaching searches. It’s an entirely different animal now with social media. The last thing an ESPN employee would ever do is speculate about a colleague taking another job on air

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I feel you. And I respect a stat sheet, but I don't need stats to tell me that our offense is worse.
I'm 32 years old, but I'm a throwback, in the sense that I remember watching sports prior to advanced metrics. I still use the eye test to determine who's better.

Agree, Fsu’s Offense is totally better than ours, their play calling is better, and their talent is better. Hate to say it, but they will prove it next Saturday.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So if there is offset language pay me a dollar this year. Guarantee to pay me later. I'm not sure if he could get away with it. NFL attorneys would probably flip out.

My goodness, wouldn't that be the ultimate financial arrangement for Florida? Get his services now, defer payment until later.

NetEngGator

Nov 5, 2017

Not mainstream.

ESPN and the rest of the “mainstream” media will announce the hire long after the story has broken. They’re afraid to be wrong. What you’re talking about happened 10 years ago in coaching searches. It’s an entirely different animal now with social media. The last thing an ESPN employee would ever do is speculate about a colleague taking another job on air

Then why did they talk about Frost being the top candidate and barely even mention Kelly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator