Chris Petersen steps down at Washington

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Why? He did great at a lower level school and did reasonably well at Washington, but not as well as Mullen has so far at UF. Put Petersen at MSU and what would be better/different from Mullen?
This. There‘s Urbs, Dabo, Saban and then everyone else. Peterson isn’t anything special.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Petersen was slightly disappointing at Washington outside of the year they went to the playoffs and actually played Bama tough. They always seemed to drop a real WTF? game every season.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Completely disagree. Washington I’m located in Microsoft’s backyard. The Gates Foundation is their largest donor. Now, that’s not solely going to athletics, like Nike, it’s still extremely competitive. I’d hardly say they are the Mizzu of their conference. They lost a lot of talent to draft last year.

If not Mizzou, who would you compare them to SEC wise?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Like the PAC-12, the SEC has some polar opposites. I’d put Washington as an Auburn or LSU or Florida of the SEC.

When USC sagged after John Robinson’s first stint, Washington became the power in the West and won a NC. That’s more history and tradition than Mizzou. But, given the recruiting area maybe somewhere between Ut and AU?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I'd like to see Petersen coach a powerhouse school. Washington ain't it.

That’s the problem though. He won’t. It was documented that he had a chance to take over USC, but declined. Those who know him say he didn’t want the pressure of big time job, and preferred to be in a second tier location, specifically Seattle where there is a pro team to keep some of the pressure and attention off of him. How is that special?

I think he’s a very good coach, and has done well wherever he goes. But he’s also a guy that is perfectly content to win most games, play in a bowl and enjoy life. Nothing wrong with that. But I’ll take someone who at least has the balls to take on a big job and wants to win it all, whether he does or not. The whole “10 wins forever” fear that some of you have with Mullen would be almost guaranteed with a guy like Peterson. But again, it’s moot because he wants to be in middle management.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
They’ve won a national championship more recently than Georgia. But then again, so have BYU and Georgia Tech.

Colorado say hi as well. But they’re mostly stoners, so forgetfulness is very accepted.

And yes, UW has been a powerhouse before and has a ton of the earmarks of a great program, especially when USC, UCLA and to a degree Oregon are down, which they have been during his tenure.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That’s the problem though. He won’t. It was documented that he had a chance to take over USC, but declined. Those who know him say he didn’t want the pressure of big time job, and preferred to be in a second tier location, specifically Seattle where there is a pro team to keep some of the pressure and attention off of him. How is that special?

I think he’s a very good coach, and has done well wherever he goes. But he’s also a guy that is perfectly content to win most games, play in a bowl and enjoy life. Nothing wrong with that. But I’ll take someone who at least has the balls to take on a big job and wants to win it all, whether he does or not. The whole “10 wins forever” fear that some of you have with Mullen would be almost guaranteed with a guy like Peterson. But again, it’s moot because he wants to be in middle management.
I think you are painting the picture of his coaching status in a very different light. I posted an article on page 2 of this thread that explains his philosophy. I guess you could look at it and say he shied away from big jobs, but he believed there was more to life than football. He insisted his staf go home by dark and be with their families, he didn’t believe in paying players, he didn’t believe in cutting corners in recruiting. Perhaps all of that would be necessary to win at big time programs but it’s also what has driven other coaches to leave. Spurrier didn’t like it. Stoops got burned out. Meyer had heartburn. But to say he wants to be middle management is false in my book.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I think you are painting the picture of his coaching status in a very different light. I posted an article on page 2 of this thread that explains his philosophy. I guess you could look at it and say he shied away from big jobs, but he believed there was more to life than football. He insisted his staf go home by dark and be with their families, he didn’t believe in paying players, he didn’t believe in cutting corners in recruiting. Perhaps all of that would be necessary to win at big time programs but it’s also what has driven other coaches to leave. Spurrier didn’t like it. Stoops got burned out. Meyer had heartburn. But to say he wants to be middle management is false in my book.

What you posted is very accurate from everything I've read or heard. And I don't necessarily blame him or think that it's some sort of character flaw. And his coaching ability certainly isn't what I'm questioning. My middle management reference was more to say he'd prefer being at a place like UW(or the P12 in general, I think) over taking on a serious pressure cooker job because of those reasons. Again, not really a knock. I bet he outlives those names you listed above. But the Mullen comparison was more what I was addressing. We'd be livid if he implemented any of those philosophies here, and would suffer as a result. So I think it's funny that we're in one breath some are saying Mullen has a ceiling that he may or may not ever break through, while in the other pining over someone who has a self-imposed ceiling and isn't willing to alter his way even if it means never being elite.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Wife's a Husky and we've been up to a couple of games this year and their last two bowl games and the passion by the fan base is there. That might have been some of the reason he left, he may have been the architect of his own demise. After early success, with some really talented teams at UW, expectations were sky high trust me. With Eason coming in they remained high, too high I told my wife, and when they had the season they had this year, fan base wasn't happy. Trust me I live with one.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wife's a Husky and we've been up to a couple of games this year and their last two bowl games and the passion by the fan base is there. That might have been some of the reason he left, he may have been the architect of his own demise. After early success, with some really talented teams at UW, expectations were sky high trust me. With Eason coming in they remained high, too high I told my wife, and when they had the season they had this year, fan base wasn't happy. Trust me I live with one.
Likewise, In-laws are huge Huskies but I don’t think the hammer was coming down after this season’s record, just a set back. Didn’t he lose a bunch last year early to the draft?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.