College Applications These Days are a PITA!

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
Least fun hobby ever: helping your kids with college applications. Maybe it's particularly a PITA b/c I have multiple Seniors in High School now, but Jeez-o-Pete it's a flawed process.

Note that this is clearly a TL/DR rant, so ya probably shouldn't read it.

It was a piece of cake back in the day. Filled out one application (to UF), mailed it in (I think with a paper transcript), and voila! Off to college! These days everything is obviously online, but most universities pick one of the 2 or 3 "standard" applications to use, they add their own customizations with short answer essays, etc. One standard app gets the HS transcript electronically like any non-moron would. The one UF requires, however, makes you enter every class and the grade in the class for the 4 yrs of HS! I mean, WTF? It's 2019, and no-need data entry is required when you know they're really gonna rely on an e-transcript at some point. That's actually all OK-ish so far.

Even some of the basic app questions are dumb. When did your parent begin establishing residency in Florida? Sh!t, do you want the day I was born, since I've lived here all my life? The day I turned 18? The day I bought my first house here? My current house? Google that sh!t and there's no real answer.

What is the Registration Number of the parent's car? Well, Mr. Application, there isn't one. My registration has a Plate #, Decal #, VIN, and Title #. Again, there's no answer to an incorrect question.

Next, you've got to rely on the High School staff to meet the hard deadlines for entering/delivering transcripts, teacher recs, Guidance Counselor recs (?) to multiple services/places. Bear in mind they may not have the same sense of urgency as you do. For example, the National Merit Scholar thing has a hard deadline of Oct 16, it's a flat out, no excuses, hard deadline. Our HS, of course, is gonna wait til the day before to send all the stuff out! Freaking really? Yet another thing I can't control but have to stay on. Really my wife does. That and make sammiches!

At the same time you've got the financial aid stuff, like differing requirements for the same scholarships at different schools. Scholarships that overlap with other scholarships at some schools, but they won't overlap at others. Even better, some of that sh!t is based on which school you list as your first preference! What?!? List a preference that impacts scholarships long before you know if they got in. SMDH.

That frustration doesn't even count the randomness of acceptance at UF. I have a couple of close friends with kids that were no better than average students (and average doesn't nearly cut it these days) that got in at UF. I mean real shockers, but they're going to G-ville. I've heard story after story about kids with the highest acheivable grades and top test scores that didn't make the cut at UF. WT actual Fvvk?

Also consider the many college application consultants who start advising kids in the 9th grade and later tell kids which activities to list on apps, how to write their essays, literally revising the students' essays for them, etc. Some write phenomenal student resumes for kids who were nothing but bumps on a log for their 4 years. My kids would NEVER even exaggerate what they've done, and they were irked that Mrs. GatorAuthor and I wanted to review their essays. Same time, there are well paid app advisors having the kids 100% make sh!t up and then writing essays for them. It's all beyond maddening. Enough to make me write a far-too-long rant on GCMB that nobody else will (or should) even read!

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Were the “no better than average” kids truly “accepted”, or accepted in the PaCE program?

GatorAuthor

Feb 24, 2016
Were the “no better than average” kids truly “accepted”, or accepted in the PaCE program?
Well, that's a good point. I don't know, but I'm curious and can ask.

A college advisor told us UF's planned acceptance rate this year is 20-25%. She said she was being conservative, but when you look at the scores and grades it's sick. I guess it goes with being a Top 10 public university.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Well, that's a good point. I don't know, but I'm curious and can ask.

A college advisor told us UF's planned acceptance rate this year is 20-25%. She said she was being conservative, but when you look at the scores and grades it's sick. I guess it goes with being a Top 10 public university.
Yeah, I have two there now and have helped a couple here with the process getting in and then again if accepted

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
We should have hired you! Applications going in tonight or tomorrow.
Yeah, sorry! And for another bit of bad news, and it is posted in a thread somewhere, there is one real advantage to making sure you submit UF applications on the first day possible (too late!) is that if accepted, and if the plan was to live in the dorms, dorm room selection schedule is based on "first in" with applications.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Hiring an admissions consultant was expensive but well worth it. My daughter is done with all her applications, we're praying she gets into UF.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Hiring an admissions consultant was expensive but well worth it. My daughter is done with all her applications, we're praying she gets into UF.
Well, when UF announces at the end of February, I can dust off the "what you need to do now post" for the happy parents!

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

... It's all beyond maddening. Enough to make me write a far-too-long rant on GCMB that nobody else will (or should) even read!

LOL. I'm still 4y from facing this, so I will pay for my sin of laughing, but thank you for sharing.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Least fun hobby ever: helping your kids with college applications. Maybe it's particularly a PITA b/c I have multiple Seniors in High School now, but Jeez-o-Pete it's a flawed process.

It was a piece of cake back in the day. Filled out one application (to UF), mailed it in (I think with a paper transcript), and voila! Off to college! These days everything is obviously online, but most universities pick one of the 2 or 3 "standard" applications to use, they add their own customizations with short answer essays, etc. One standard app gets the HS transcript electronically like any non-moron would. The one UF requires, however, makes you enter every class and the grade in the class for the 4 yrs of HS! I mean, WTF? It's 2019, and no-need data entry is required when you know they're really gonna rely on an e-transcript at some point. That's actually all OK-ish so far.

Even some of the basic app questions are dumb. When did your parent begin establishing residency in Florida? Sh!t, do you want the day I was born, since I've lived here all my life? The day I turned 18? The day I bought my first house here? My current house? Google that sh!t and there's no real answer.

What is the Registration Number of the parent's car? Well, Mr. Application, there isn't one. My registration has a Plate #, Decal #, VIN, and Title #. Again, there's no answer to an incorrect question.

Next, you've got to rely on the High School staff to meet the hard deadlines for entering/delivering transcripts, teacher recs, Guidance Counselor recs (?) to multiple services/places. Bear in mind they may not have the same sense of urgency as you do. For example, the National Merit Scholar thing has a hard deadline of Oct 16, it's a flat out, no excuses, hard deadline. Our HS, of course, is gonna wait til the day before to send all the stuff out! Freaking really? Yet another thing I can't control but have to stay on. Really my wife does. That and make sammiches!

At the same time you've got the financial aid stuff, like differing requirements for the same scholarships at different schools. Scholarships that overlap with other scholarships at some schools, but they won't overlap at others. Even better, some of that sh!t is based on which school you list as your first preference! What?!? List a preference that impacts scholarships long before you know if they got in. SMDH.

That frustration doesn't even count the randomness of acceptance at UF. I have a couple of close friends with kids that were no better than average students (and average doesn't nearly cut it these days) that got in at UF. I mean real shockers, but they're going to G-ville. I've heard story after story about kids with the highest acheivable grades and top test scores that didn't make the cut at UF. WT actual Fvvk?

Also consider the many college application consultants who start advising kids in the 9th grade and later tell kids which activities to list on apps, how to write their essays, literally revising the students' essays for them, etc. Some write phenomenal student resumes for kids who were nothing but bumps on a log for their 4 years. My kids would NEVER even exaggerate what they've done, and they were irked that Mrs. GatorAuthor and I wanted to review their essays. Same time, there are well paid app advisors having the kids 100% make sh!t up and then writing essays for them. It's all beyond maddening. Enough to make me write a far-too-long rant on GCMB that nobody else will (or should) even read!
Sorry I did not see this sooner as I had two go through this last year. If they have not yet been submitted, I cannot emphasize enough the need to review your kids applications. My kids forgot to list things they had done, or in one case did not think some accomplishments were "important." The essay's in particular often needed a few edits. I'm not a fan of someone else writing it, but everyone can use a fresh set of eyes to proof read something they've written.

As for the National Merit Scholar thing, it is very effed up how it works. In our case, one of our kids was down to three choices: UF, UGa, & Va Tech. Since we live in Georgia, there was not going to be much benefit if he was a finalist, because of all the money available for in-state kids (Hope & Zell Miller). Va Tech did not seem to care a whole lot about the National Merit program, so he ended up listing UF as his first choice. Well it ended up being a great decision. He ended up not getting into UGa. (a common problem here in Georgia and I suspect in his case the result of a less than stellar application - neither me nor Mrs G reviewed it), but got into UF. As it turns out UF is anxious to add National Merit Scholars and, if a finalist, gives them a "Benaquisto" scholarship. (Or at least did last year.) This translates to basically a full ride.
Don't even get me started on FAFSA, but if your kids get any scholarships, you may have to update FAFSA every year, even if the scholarship is not based on financial need (as in the case of my son). My daughter is in a private school and her (partial) scholarship does not require FAFSA every year. (Naturally)
Last but not least, your vehicle registration is the license plate number. The cynical side of me wonders if this is so the school can determine if you have any unpaid parking tickets on campus, but I suspect it's another way of confirming where you really live.
P.S. - If either or both of your kids end up at UF, take @Detroitgator up on his offer for parental advice. It's good stuff and was a help to us as far as UF went. If you're really lucky, he'll meet you in Gainesville for a beer! ;)

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
When I applied to UF back in 1969 I was denied due to a mistake on my High school transcript. I was pissed because it was the schools mistake not mine. But it probably was for the best because it took me 8 years to get through the Jr College I ended up going to LOL. 8 years to get through JC then just a year and a half to do my jr & sr years at UF.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
When I applied to UF back in 1969 I was denied due to a mistake on my High school transcript. I was pissed because it was the schools mistake not mine. But it probably was for the best because it took me 8 years to get through the Jr College I ended up going to LOL. 8 years to get through JC then just a year and a half to do my jr & sr years at UF.
I KNEW you looked familiar!!!
51%2BFHokrc4L._SY445_.jpg

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I knew some guys that went to SFCC that long..........I could understand as it was a great place to be in the mid 70s.........they probably took every course out there........or close to it.......

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
I knew some guys that went to SFCC that long..........I could understand as it was a great place to be in the mid 70s.........they probably took every course out there........or close to it.......
With me it was a couple of semesters of academic probation then academic suspension, sit out a couple of semesters, reapply then start the cycle over again.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
With me it was a couple of semesters of academic probation then academic suspension, sit out a couple of semesters, reapply then start the cycle over again.
My first semester freshman year I had what we called a "negative GPA." That meant that if you squared it it went down.

GatorAuthor

Feb 24, 2016
Sorry I did not see this sooner as I had two go through this last year. If they have not yet been submitted, I cannot emphasize enough the need to review your kids applications. My kids forgot to list things they had done, or in one case did not think some accomplishments were "important." The essay's in particular often needed a few edits. I'm not a fan of someone else writing it, but everyone can use a fresh set of eyes to proof read something they've written.

As for the National Merit Scholar thing, it is very effed up how it works. In our case, one of our kids was down to three choices: UF, UGa, & Va Tech. Since we live in Georgia, there was not going to be much benefit if he was a finalist, because of all the money available for in-state kids (Hope & Zell Miller). Va Tech did not seem to care a whole lot about the National Merit program, so he ended up listing UF as his first choice. Well it ended up being a great decision. He ended up not getting into UGa. (a common problem here in Georgia and I suspect in his case the result of a less than stellar application - neither me nor Mrs G reviewed it), but got into UF. As it turns out UF is anxious to add National Merit Scholars and, if a finalist, gives them a "Benaquisto" scholarship. (Or at least did last year.) This translates to basically a full ride.
Don't even get me started on FAFSA, but if your kids get any scholarships, you may have to update FAFSA every year, even if the scholarship is not based on financial need (as in the case of my son). My daughter is in a private school and her (partial) scholarship does not require FAFSA every year. (Naturally)
Last but not least, your vehicle registration is the license plate number. The cynical side of me wonders if this is so the school can determine if you have any unpaid parking tickets on campus, but I suspect it's another way of confirming where you really live.
P.S. - If either or both of your kids end up at UF, take @Detroitgator up on his offer for parental advice. It's good stuff and was a help to us as far as UF went. If you're really lucky, he'll meet you in Gainesville for a beer! ;)
Thanks very much for the thoughts! Interesting that he didn't get in to UGA but got in at UF. Yeah, the National Merit stuff with the scholarships is hard to figure out. I've heard that of the 16,000 National Merit Semi-Finalists, about 15,000 make Finalist. Hopefully that'll be the case for 2 of my sons who are in that process. My 3d son missed it by one question on the PSAT (which, of course, none of them prepped for b/c we didn't really know the importance of it), and he's the one dying to go to UF.

Well, I think they did finally use my license plate, so we got that right!

If any of them wind up at UF, I'll definitely look up @Detroitgator . I'll take learned parental advice any time!

Really, thanks for taking the time to write. I appreciate all of it.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Thanks very much for the thoughts! Interesting that he didn't get in to UGA but got in at UF. Yeah, the National Merit stuff with the scholarships is hard to figure out. I've heard that of the 16,000 National Merit Semi-Finalists, about 15,000 make Finalist. Hopefully that'll be the case for 2 of my sons who are in that process. My 3d son missed it by one question on the PSAT (which, of course, none of them prepped for b/c we didn't really know the importance of it), and he's the one dying to go to UF.

Well, I think they did finally use my license plate, so we got that right!

If any of them wind up at UF, I'll definitely look up @Detroitgator . I'll take learned parental advice any time!

Really, thanks for taking the time to write. I appreciate all of it.
UGa has gotten very difficult to get into for folks from the north ATL suburbs. The $ given in state residents with Hope and Zell Miller scholarships makes it a very cheap option. Ga Tech has gotten crazy difficult. Additionally, they try to take folks from all over the state so kids are not really competing state wide; they’re competing more or less by zip code. And as I mentioned, his application there was not what it should have been.
Good luck

GatorAuthor

Feb 24, 2016
UPDATE: So, my 3 sons got good news on Friday - accepted by UF. Really wasn’t optimistic about all 3 making it in, just bc of the degree of randomness involved. Certainly saves me from the heartbreak I’d have suffered if 2 got in and 1 didn’t.

One may wind up in G-ville, but they all seem to like what the UCF Honors College has to offer. It’s up to them, but it’s good to have options. Also important to find the right fit.

BTW, the stunner last month was FSU busting out a 10% acceptance rate!! That’s crazy in itself, but Google tells me FSU had a 58% acceptance rate in 2016. The competition for university spots is nuts, and it was much more stressful for me and Mrs. Author than it was for our boys.

Hope all’s well with you guys.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
UPDATE: So, my 3 sons got good news on Friday - accepted by UF. Really wasn’t optimistic about all 3 making it in, just bc of the degree of randomness involved. Certainly saves me from the heartbreak I’d have suffered if 2 got in and 1 didn’t.

One may wind up in G-ville, but they all seem to like what the UCF Honors College has to offer. It’s up to them, but it’s good to have options. Also important to find the right fit.

BTW, the stunner last month was FSU busting out a 10% acceptance rate!! That’s crazy in itself, but Google tells me FSU had a 58% acceptance rate in 2016. The competition for university spots is nuts, and it was much more stressful for me and Mrs. Author than it was for our boys.

Hope all’s well with you guys.
Congrats to all of you!

As for UCF Honors College, everyone has to do what's right for them (as you said) but they really need to consider the back end as well. There is a real difference now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.