Conference Consolidation - USC and UCLA Moving to Big 10

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I completely disagree on booting Mizzou and that they don't fit in. Just in case you're ONLY looking at football, UF is 5-6-0 against them since they came into the SEC and is 2-3-0 vs ATM.

Mizzou is a premier addition academically and strong in all sports whereas ATM is meh academically and meh in all sports.

If you want to talk about only two divisions (which won't happen IMO) then perhaps a quick glance at the map will show that we should split the two Alabama schools and keep everything else as is. Just add Texas and Oklahoma to the West and then turn the white line down between Bama and Auburn...
View attachment 45020

Now, if you want to rearrange the teams by adding some SOUTHEASTERN powerhouses like Clemson or Va Tech and then losing Mizzou, maybe I could agree with that.

I could give a fig about most other sports. And I'd drop TAMU also and let the TX school have the old SWC.

I don't understand your knock on TAMU academics US News has them at 26 and Mizzou at 58. TAMU has an excellent AG School and does some outstanding research especially "applied" . I also hear engineer is rated like #6

Avenger48c

No Longer Cautiously Optimistic
Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2019
@AuggieDosta, it's not really relevant to this thread, but for reference the SEC is considering two scheduling models after Oklahoma and Texas join, neither of which use divisions.

1. An 8 game schedule where each team has 1 permanent rival who they play every year and rotates the remaining 14 teams every other year (Called 1-7)
2. A 9 game schedule where each team has three permanent rivals and rotates the remaining 12 teams every other year (Called 3-6)

This article explains the tensions involved, but broadly smaller/weaker schools want the 8 game model to hold onto bowl eligibility more easily whereas powerhouses want the 9 game path for more revenue from media contracts and better preservation of historic rivalries.

Last edited:

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I could give a fig about most other sports. And I'd drop TAMU also and let the TX school have the old SWC.

I don't understand your knock on TAMU academics US News has them at 26 and Mizzou at 58. TAMU has an excellent AG School and does some outstanding research especially "applied" . I also hear engineer is rated like #6

Ok, I'll admit I may have undervalued ATM's academics. As for Mizzou, I remember them being part of some grant thing when they joined that was extremely important to the decision of adding them.

Also, they bring in a new TV market area and that's where the money really comes in. ATM does that also but so will Texas and Oklahoma. For us to grow, new TV markets will be one of the key factors as will academics and of course ALL sports. Even though football is the moneymaker.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
People are already clamoring for FSU, Miami, and Clemson to move to SEC...I hope not, but give me Clemson, UNC, and VT please.
Gonna happen. They have a draconian contract with the ACC that requires any team that leaves to pay the conference. Like a buy-out clause. But as soon as they can get out of it they will be jumping to the SEC.
Now that the BIG* has made it's move this is going to shape up into two super conferences. The SEC will dump the NCAA and make their own rules that the Big * will also follow,

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
...or this blurry blob for 4 pods:
View attachment 45022
With that breakdown 14 of the 16 SEC teams will cry and complain EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. about how easy Bama and the Barn has it. Kind of like they all do now regarding the permanent cross-division rival games. I mean, I'd take it if offered and tell everyone else to pound sand but it would definitely give Bama and the Barn an easy road to the conference playoffs.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
With that breakdown 14 of the 16 SEC teams will cry and complain EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. about how easy Bama and the Barn has it. Kind of like they all do now regarding the permanent cross-division rival games. I mean, I'd take it if offered and tell everyone else to pound sand but it would definitely give Bama and the Barn an easy road to the conference playoffs.

Bama will be Tenn's bitch under Josh Heupel.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Bama will be Tenn's bitch under Josh Heupel.
Time will tell I suppose. He will have to recruit better players than they have in recent years though... He could also own the SECeast if he does that too... ;)

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Time will tell I suppose. He will have to recruit better players than they have in recent years though... He could also own the SECeast if he does that too... ;)

Not necessarily true as I see it. I think you're assuming Saban will never leave or that his replacement will simply keep on winning.

TN has been a coaching carousel for a while now and Florida ain't no better really. It's highly possible UF, UGAy, TN & SCAR have found their coaches for the next decade. Alabama is about to lose Saban. He's ready to play with his ole lady's boobs and putter around in the boat on the lake.
1656623932266.png

Last edited:

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Saban is obviously closer to retirement than most other NCAA football coaches. Who knows what will happen once he decides to call it a day? It is possible that his replacement could continue to win at a high level though because other schools have done so when they changed coaches. Time will tell...
I think he's waiting for one more NC. He's done about everything that could be done...I can't see Bamma keeping up with NIL

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Not necessarily true as I see it. I think you're assuming Saban will never leave or that his replacement will simply keep on winning.

TN has been a coaching carousel for a while now and Florida ain't no better really. It's highly possible UF, UGAy, TN & SCAR have found their coaches for the next decade. Alabama is about to lose Saban. He's ready to play with his ole ladies boobs and putter around in the boat on the lake.
View attachment 45073
What exactly do you not agree with? I was talking about Josh H at Tennessee, not Saban. Saban is obviously closer to retirement than most other NCAA football coaches. Who knows what will happen once he decides to call it a day? It is possible that his replacement could continue to win at a high level though because other schools have done so when they changed coaches. Time will tell...

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I think he's waiting for one more NC. He's done about everything that could be done...I can't see Bamma keeping up with NIL
If all we get going forward from CNS is one more NC, that'd be great. No complaints from me. Regarding the NIL, I have no idea...

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
What exactly do you not agree with? I was talking about Josh H at Tennessee, not Saban. Saban is obviously closer to retirement than most other NCAA football coaches. Who knows what will happen once he decides to call it a day? It is possible that his replacement could continue to win at a high level though because other schools have done so when they changed coaches. Time will tell...
The blueprint is there...like THE OSU...they did fine after Urban

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

You assumed that I said TN will whip Bama because Heupel will be the difference and therefore TN will whip the other teams in the East, too.

But I was referring to Bama's decline due to Saban's departure.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
If all we get going forward from CNS is one more NC, that'd be great. No complaints from me. Regarding the NIL, I have no idea...

On NIL, I think you do have an idea...that Bama won't be able to keep up.

Not unless every single Wal-Mart in the Tuscaloosa area increase the price on Crocs by .10 will y'all be able to pay what the TX schools will be able to dole out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.