Cooter, Help! Zambo gets Betty too hot

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The rafters are oriented perfectly north/south.
Won't that limit the amount of shade it throws? I guess if its gonna have a fabric cover it doesn't matter.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Won't that limit the amount of shade it throws? I guess if its gonna have a fabric cover it doesn't matter.

Well, I looked at a few orientations and played around with some boards resting on 5 gallon buckets. The only thing that would really help is if each rafter was angled. No way in hell I was doing that. Or if each rafter was at an almost 45 degree angle to the header. Which would just look weird. In the end, it was about making it look the prettiest on top of the existing pad. We knew from the get-go that a fabric shade was going to be required on top. Which should be close to the same color as the stain. Not terribly expensive at $50 knowing it is an annual throw away item. They claim it should last longer... just nothing ever does in the Florida sun.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well, I looked at a few orientations and played around with some boards resting on 5 gallon buckets. The only thing that would really help is if each rafter was angled. No way in hell I was doing that. Or if each rafter was at an almost 45 degree angle to the header. Which would just look weird. In the end, it was about making it look the prettiest on top of the existing pad. We knew from the get-go that a fabric shade was going to be required on top. Which should be close to the same color as the stain. Not terribly expensive at $50 knowing it is an annual throw away item. They claim it should last longer... just nothing ever does in the Florida sun.

I think the point Mr Assmonkey's trying to make is you failed to get his design approval prior to construction. You probably wouldn't be hearing this if you had simply trimmed the bottom of the columns as he suggested.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
What about bracketing solar panels above and having the replaceable tarp/sail between the two so that you wouldn't see the panels?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If the point of the fabric shade is to create actual shade, then why didn't you just built a solid shade cover instead of the slats?

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Question for the many here who know a heck of a lot more than I do:

We have a large screen porch where for years the only real lighting has been from a fan light combo that is woefully insufficient and ugly as hell. One of the many Corona projects Mrs. G has found for me is to do something about the situation. The original plan was to remove the light kit from the fan and hang two large pendant type fixtures on either side of the fan. I am now thinking that instead, I'd like to put up some recessed lighting as I think it would look a lot better. (BTW - Mrs. G., aka "She who must be obeyed," has chopped off on this change order.) I plan on raising up the fan a foot or so, to hopefully avoid any strobe effect. As I was looking at various types of recessed lights, I was wondering if I need wet location rated lights? Being a porch it can be a damp location, but the lights would never have water hitting them directly. Any thoughts? (Personally, while it I think it will look better, I am not looking forward to cutting more holes in the wainscotted ceiling - the two 4" holes I cut so far were a pain in the %#&. FTR - I hate ladders. I was also disappointed to see my Klein Hole Cutter was made in China.)

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Question for the many here who know a heck of a lot more than I do:

We have a large screen porch where for years the only real lighting has been from a fan light combo that is woefully insufficient and ugly as hell. One of the many Corona projects Mrs. G has found for me is to do something about the situation. The original plan was to remove the light kit from the fan and hang two large pendant type fixtures on either side of the fan. I am now thinking that instead, I'd like to put up some recessed lighting as I think it would look a lot better. (BTW - Mrs. G., aka "She who must be obeyed," has chopped off on this change order.) I plan on raising up the fan a foot or so, to hopefully avoid any strobe effect. As I was looking at various types of recessed lights, I was wondering if I need wet location rated lights? Being a porch it can be a damp location, but the lights would never have water hitting them directly. Any thoughts? (Personally, while it I think it will look better, I am not looking forward to cutting more holes in the wainscotted ceiling - the two 4" holes I cut so far were a pain in the %#&. FTR - I hate ladders. I was also disappointed to see my Klein Hole Cutter was made in China.)

I lined the perimeter of my back porch with a set of string edison bulbs like this and the Mrs loves it. I plugged them into an outlet that has a remote control switch:
Amazon product
Amazon product

You could even do that with LED light strips.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
IMG_0112.jpg We currently have some decorative lights she likes around the perimeter, but while they look nice, they give off next to no light. She looked at those you installed as well once upon a time, but wasn't interested - possibly because installation would have been very simple......)

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We currently have some decorative lights she likes around the perimeter (see below), but while they look nice, they give off next to no light. She looked at those you installed as well once upon a time, but wasn't interested - possibly because installation would have been very simple......)

Well, although I do not have the exact set that I posted above... my perimeter lights give off PLENTY of light. Almost too much. What about waterproof LED light strips? They can be cut and spliced to into any spot:

Amazon product

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Well, although I do not have the exact set that I posted above... my perimeter lights give off PLENTY of light. Almost too much. What about waterproof LED light strips? They can be cut and spliced to into any spot:

Amazon product

Personally, I would have gone with the ones you showed originally. However, as I now have two holes in the ceiling that I gotta fill with something, I am kinda stuck with the original pendants or adding cans. Here's the ceiling:
IMG_0113.jpg

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Personally, I would have gone with the ones you showed originally. However, as I now have two holes in the ceiling that I gotta fill with something, I am kinda stuck with the original pendants or adding cans. Here's the ceiling:

Oh. Yeah... this is now into Coot territory.

So there are no brackets to hold a can light assembly already in place behind those holes you cut?

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Oh. Yeah... this is now into Coot territory.

So there are no brackets to hold a can light assembly already in place behind those holes you cut?[/QUOTE

They make what's called a remodel kit that slides into the hole and has a mounting bracket attached. This enters into choices like what kinda shirt should I wear. Ask Assmonkey what he wants installed.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
They make what's called a remodel kit that slides into the hole and has a mounting bracket attached. This enters into choices like what kinda shirt should I wear. Ask Assmonkey what he wants installed.
Exactly. I know several types of cans I can use & the wiring is not a problem. (Well, in theory; it's been challenging, but doable thus far.) Do I need to use wet location fixtures is the question.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly. I know several types of cans I can use & the wiring is not a problem. (Well, in theory; it's been challenging, but doable thus far.) Do I need to use wet location fixtures is the question.
The only suggetions I would make if you use a recessed can is you should use plastic trim ring and baffle if available due to rust from humidity- they're not that expensive to replace in 4 or 5 years but your concern about strobing could be an issue with the light source being above the fan blades at slow speed. You might want to look at some type of suspended light source. It appears your ceiling height will prevent light shining directly into your eyes so may not require a shade of sorts and would broadcast well.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
The only suggetions I would make if you use a recessed can is you should use plastic trim ring and baffle if available due to rust from humidity- they're not that expensive to replace in 4 or 5 years but your concern about strobing could be an issue with the light source being above the fan blades at slow speed. You might want to look at some type of suspended light source. It appears your ceiling height will prevent light shining directly into your eyes so may not require a shade of sorts and would broadcast well.
The ceiling height is good (almost 12' at the center section and sloping down to almost 10.5' at the edges), so I don't think light shining in anyone's face will be an issue. I would have two lights at the center section, with two on each of the two slopes, probably at about 11' or so.
I think by raising the fan (it currently hangs at about 3'), with the spread of the cans, it shouldn't be a problem. If I understand you correctly on the using plastic trim rings & baffles, this would preclude having to use the fixtures designed for wet locations like showers, yes? The other issue is space in the ceiling. On the sloped section, the rafters are 2X6s so I there should be enough room, but in the flat section it's only about 3", before you're blocked by the bottom of the ridge board. I have seen some lights on line that should fit, but need to do a deep dive into the dimensions.
I am trying to avoid removing the ceiling, but am now starting to wonder if that is not in fact necessary to really do this properly! Perhaps, I should just do as Mrs. G first wanted and hang the two pendants...

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You don't need a fixture for a wet area, but over time there will be some corrosion due to humidity. Pendant lights would work nicely. The advantage of a recessed fixture is if you use matching trims and baffle it provides a sense of uninterrupted ceiling. I just didn't want to try to influence your fixture selection, I have trouble dressing myself. Looking at the draperies and rods it appears to be a well used space, is it set up for dining with a table that remains in the space or relaxing conversation. As I recall you have a herd of deer that frequent the back yard.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I finally got a hold of my sister who is an architect and bit of a lighting goddess. (Folks will actually hire her to consult on just lighting projects.) According her, I don't need wet location fixtures and to avoid the strobe effect, the lights should be 12"+ from the edge of the fan blades. While two of my lights will be slightly closer than that, she doesn't think it will be an issue, since the other four will be beyond 12". She also recommends low voltage LEDs. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Keep in mind low voltage lighting doesn't always provide adequate lighting and requires more current to produce amperage. It also requires a tranformer to reduce the power to 12v.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.