Cooter, Help! Zambo gets Betty too hot

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My wife and I built our house and did everything ourselves except the footers, slab, and roofing shingles. Drywall is a job that I would farm out if I had it to do over again. You get satisfaction from doing it yourself but it is so cheap to hire out.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
My wife and I built our house and did everything ourselves except the footers, slab, and roofing shingles. Drywall is a job that I would farm out if I had it to do over again. You get satisfaction from doing it yourself but it is so cheap to hire out.

agreed 1000% but I live with a stubborn man. Ten years ago when we did the basement he swore he would never do drywall again but here we are. It's like giving birth. You swear you will never do that again but whoops!

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Downstairs was a piece of cake but upstairs was a pain in the ass. Ours is a 1 1/2 so upstairs had kneewalls, sloped ceilings and other oddities. :(

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Downstairs was a piece of cake but upstairs was a pain in the ass. Ours is a 1 1/2 so upstairs had kneewalls, sloped ceilings and other oddities. :(

same - it will be a royal PIA to do these sloped walls and angles for him. Getting the drywall in through a second floor dormer window almost gave me a heart attack but it went much smoother than I thought it would. :lol:

5DA426BF-46EC-4389-9CAF-6754A35A568A.jpeg

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I planned ahead on the upstairs sheetrock and bought it before closing in the end of the house. I didn't foresee the tub enclosure that my wife would want. :lmao2:

What pitch is that roof? 12-12

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I planned ahead on the upstairs sheetrock and bought it before closing in the end of the house. I didn't foresee the tub enclosure that my wife would want. :lmao2:

What pitch is that roof? 12-12

Not sure on the pitch but it was supposed to be even steeper but the framers worked with me on sloping it more. They were great to work with on our projects.

That's great that you could put all that sweat equity into your house also.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Looking closer , the pitch would have to be at least 18/12.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
When we built or house 19 years ago I had a guy with a portable sawmill to come and saw some cedar octagon posts for our wrap-around porch. This pic is the west end of our house looking at it from the back. You can see the elevation issue we had to deal with too...

West end.JPG

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Here's my honey-do flower bed with a french drain
Is that really a French drain? It looks like just 3" pvc pipe with some openings for runoff to flow into it. A french drain usually consists of perforated piping. They don't typically require an outlet but your's looks like it would definitely need one.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
That addition looks very nice CD. What are your cedar post going to look like?

I love your porch, Nalt! Our columns will look similar but will have an 8" tall board at the base and a 4" tall board at the top. We aren't going to do a rail around the porch since it's not that high off the ground.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Is that really a French drain? It looks like just 3" pvc pipe with some openings for runoff to flow into it. A french drain usually consists of perforated piping. They don't typically require an outlet but your's looks like it would definitely need one.
It's a drain that gravity flows out to a ditch that runs into a retention pond
I call it a french drain not sure if that's really what it is

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
It's a drain that gravity flows out to a ditch that runs into a retention pond
I call it a french drain not sure if that's really what it is
Yeah, a french drain doesn't typically run out into anything. They just let the water soak down into the soil. No harm in calling your's one though...

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I love your porch, Nalt! Our columns will look similar but will have an 8" tall board at the base and a 4" tall board at the top. We aren't going to do a rail around the porch since it's not that high off the ground.
Thanks. I had a guy use his Woodmizer sawmill to mill about 6000 board feet of Yellow Poplar and about 1000 feet of red cedar. He suggested that we let him saw the post in octagon shaped posts. We love it too. I had wanted to eventually finish the whole railing with cedar but I ran out of cedar, money, and time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.