COY - Mac Left Out

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Look I'm with you on your criticism of Mac's lack of adjustments. Seems just flat out bull-headed. I have also referenced Meyer's changes on the fly so I also don't buy the "can't change in the middle of the season" defense some people put forward. Heck even Bama threw wrinkles in the QB run game at us. I'd not seen that from them before and the announcers acted like it was something new.

Coker has been running most of the season, nothing really new about that. Lane Kiffin put in the Read Option in the off-season referencing the Auburn game the previous year as inspiration.

As far as changes, we go from long developing routes to shorter less read routes, more qb runs (draws/reg), some read option principles (which we also saw against ECU/NMU), reducing the reads for Harris, running wide, running up the middle, giving Treon more throws, then less throws, pop screens, wr screens, middle screens, drag routes, two tight end sets, 3 wide out sets, two back, single back, no back, what else would you like him to try?

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Coker has been running most of the season, nothing really new about that. Lane Kiffin put in the Read Option in the off-season referencing the Auburn game the previous year as inspiration.

As far as changes, we go from long developing routes to shorter less read routes, more qb runs (draws/reg), some read option principles (which we also saw against ECU/NMU), reducing the reads for Harris, running wide, running up the middle, giving Treon more throws, then less throws, pop screens, wr screens, middle screens, drag routes, two tight end sets, 3 wide out sets, two back, single back, no back, what else would you like him to try?
yeah. Coker running is nothing new. His hard nosed running is one of the big reasons for their turn around after the Ole Miss game.

Hard to believe they left Mac out. 10 wins was crazy talk before the season started. Brian Kelly is a good candidate. dealing with all the injuries they had and still winning 10 games is pretty impressive.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
yeah. Coker running is nothing new. His hard nosed running is one of the big reasons for their turn around after the Ole Miss game.

Hard to believe they left Mac out. 10 wins was crazy talk before the season started. Brian Kelly is a good candidate. dealing with all the injuries they had and still winning 10 games is pretty impressive.

Brian Kelly as much as I hate ND deserves to be on the list.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I don't get why 10 wins was crazy talk at the beginning of the season. We have an elite defense that everyone knew was going to keep us in games. I'm not saying I predicted 10 wins but damn we were in most games last year and should have won 10 last year with a sceme of run,run,run,punt. The reason we won 10 games this year is because the east is so far down its not funny. I give credit to Mac for things he's done this year I agree he has this team believing they can win unlike Muschamp. But we won the same freakin way we did when we won games last year and the 3 years before that with defense. I believe Mac will be a good coach but he don't deserve coty after what his offense put up.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't get why 10 wins was crazy talk at the beginning of the season. We have an elite defense that everyone knew was going to keep us in games. I'm not saying I predicted 10 wins but damn we were in most games last year and should have won 10 last year with a sceme of run,run,run,punt. The reason we won 10 games this year is because the east is so far down its not funny. I give credit to Mac for things he's done this year I agree he has this team believing they can win unlike Muschamp. But we won the same freakin way we did when we won games last year and the 3 years before that with defense. I believe Mac will be a good coach but he don't deserve coty after what his offense put up.

You're right. No coach who can't teach a 5'8" QB to see over his 6'5"+ Olinemen is certainly no coty. We should fire him right away!

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Have you even watched Treon play this year? It was him, A Vandy reject (think about that for a bit) and a walk on. Those were our options.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
You're right. No coach who can't teach a 5'8" QB to see over his 6'5"+ Olinemen is certainly no coty. We should fire him right away!
"If he can't get us into the CFP and win it all every year, I don't want him." is basically what he's saying Nav.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
New coach, all new staff, a split locker room with some chump lovers, the defeatist attitude, no kicker, QB scandal, 4 scholarship linemen, new transfers, no QB for 6-7 games, whole new offense, different rules, 4th different OC in as many years....It was basically an easy first year!

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
New coach, all new staff, a split locker room with some chump lovers, the defeatist attitude, no kicker, QB scandal, 4 scholarship linemen, new transfers, no QB for 6-7 games, whole new offense, different rules, 4th different OC in as many years....It was basically an easy first year!

This is the crux of the biscuit, right here. He was working with a one legged man in an ass-kicking contest.

But the fact that we had no offense the last 6 games and barely squeaked out wins as unlikely as a Hardin 45 yard game winner, and holding on for dear life in OT against FAU waiting for Poole to get a PI call that never came explains why even with 10 wins it wasn't COY worthy. It was a damn good first year, and we had 1 great win and a couple good ones. But Mac was helped out by greatly by USC and Mizzou surpassing UK and Vandy as the worst teams in the east, with Mizzou going from back to back east champs to a 1 conference win team, and USC from a tough game against the OBC to literally a bottom 10 team in all of Div 1.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014

I live in Bama and have watched a number of their games, one live (parents day, my son goes to Bama). Saturday was the first time I noticed the read option. I asked some friends of mine who are Bama fans and they could not remember seeing it before either. Works for me.

All I see is the same offense that Grier ran. Very little adjustment for Treon's skill set. If anything it appears like they have coached Treon to stay in the pocket more when he is not comfortable there. (In full disclosure, I initially thought this was a good thing.) And where do you see all the QB runs. It's been noted by many that Mac has been protecting Treon from running for fear he would get hurt and there was nobody behind him.

I'm glad you see all the innovation, because I don't.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
"If he can't get us into the CFP and win it all every year, I don't want him." is basically what he's saying Nav.
Not saying that at all man, I just don't think a HC that is offensive based that wins every game with an elite defense deserves to be coach of the year when his bread and butter is awful that's all I'm saying. I get that Treon is terrible but that don't take away the fact that his offense completely sucked. An elite OC can score points with almost any talent. Look at Baylor with Briles they just plug in the next guy and they do work. My whole point is Mac had the best player the last 2 years in Callaway yet Muschamp had better numbers and he's an idiot. I've said he would be a good coach and do good things for us but all of this crying because he was left out makes no sense when you look at the big picture, won tight games the last 4 wins, east went a combined 33-39 and his last 2 games he lost by a combined 56-17 yet that guy should get coty? Get out of here with that crap be realistic

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Wow now that you say all that my mind is still the same. You named nothing about the the reason we won. Everything you named had to do with the offense we won with defense. Defense defense defense no other way around it. This is not me bashing Mac at all please don't think I'm bashing him I like Mac and can't wait till he gets everything together I just don't see why he deserves coty with 3 losses and being blown out twice including once against a rival at home.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Shocked Mac got left out. What he did with this team and the leftover Mustank stench is nothing short of miraculous.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Not saying that at all man, I just don't think a HC that is offensive based that wins every game with an elite defense deserves to be coach of the year when his bread and butter is awful that's all I'm saying. I get that Treon is terrible but that don't take away the fact that his offense completely sucked. An elite OC can score points with almost any talent. Look at Baylor with Briles they just plug in the next guy and they do work. My whole point is Mac had the best player the last 2 years in Callaway yet Muschamp had better numbers and he's an idiot. I've said he would be a good coach and do good things for us but all of this crying because he was left out makes no sense when you look at the big picture, won tight games the last 4 wins, east went a combined 33-39 and his last 2 games he lost by a combined 56-17 yet that guy should get coty? Get out of here with that crap be realistic
Name a single offensive lineman that we started this year who'd be taken in the NFL Draft if it were held today. I'll wait.

Name a single player on offense not named Taylor or Callaway(if he were eligible) that any sensible NFL GM or coach would take in the draft if it were held today. I'll wait.

Exactly.

Getting 10 wins and a division title out of that level of talent is nothing short of miraculous, regardless of how many points were put up or how elite the defense is. The award is Coach of the Year, not Offensive Coordinator/Coach of the Year.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I live in Bama and have watched a number of their games, one live (parents day, my son goes to Bama). Saturday was the first time I noticed the read option. I asked some friends of mine who are Bama fans and they could not remember seeing it before either. Works for me.

I just remember watching a interview with Kiffin where he discussed putting in those principles before the season (I believe on the SEC network).

All I see is the same offense that Grier ran. Very little adjustment for Treon's skill set. If anything it appears like they have coached Treon to stay in the pocket more when he is not comfortable there. (In full disclosure, I initially thought this was a good thing.) And where do you see all the QB runs. It's been noted by many that Mac has been protecting Treon from running for fear he would get hurt and there was nobody behind him.

I'm glad you see all the innovation, because I don't.

It's not really innovation as differences in game to game play calling. And it has been mentioned in other places like the SEC Network when discussing what more McElwain has to do kick start the offense due to lack of talent. I believe it was Marcus Spears discussing how teams were using the DE to keep Harris in the pocket after the Vandy game to force him to stay in the pocket. We have to keep the same philosophy due to year one of a multi-year rebuild. We just aren't that deep and talented as we should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.