Cronkrite vs. Scarlett

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Everybody thought Kelvin Taylor was the next Emmitt Smith. Not even the next Fred Taylor, the next Emmitt Smith. He broke Emmitt's records in high school. He was a superstar. He was from South Florida. His daddy was a stud.

It didn't really show up on the field. We were seduced by the name and the massive numbers, and conveniently forgot that he played at a very small school.

We blamed the coach, the offense, the line, everybody except Kelvin. People kept talking about how he had "wiggle" and needed to be the starter.

While Gillislee was a stud on the field, folks were talking about our future and Kelvin Taylor. Wait till Kelvin Taylor gets into this offense they said.

Couple other Florida running backs in his recruiting class...Derrick Henry out of Yulee and Alex Collins out of Plantation. Both of those guys are studs for their teams.

We got Taylor and Adam Lane that year.

Remember the hue and cry when Matt Jones got the first carry in our first game last season? Because Taylor was supposed to be so much better? Folks pulling their hair out? Jones was a plodder, only in because he was a better pass blocker, Taylor was a budding superstar?

Imagined it plenty, never saw it on the field. And for the record, Matt Jones is looking like he's going to have a nice NFL career.

Kelvin Taylor was a stud last year against Georgia. But other than that game, he's been (wow I really hate saying this) a bust.

I know, I know, Muschamp, o-line, injuries, etc.

Would Kelvin Taylor be the starter over Collins at Arkansas or the starter over Henry at Bama? Heck, at Arkansas he's be 3rd string at best (Jonathan Williams and Collins are basically co-starters).

OK, forget about his recruiting class. Would he be starting at UGA over Nick Chubb or starting at LSU over Leonard Fournette or at Tennessee over Jalen Hurd?

What about a cellar-dweller like Kentucky? We play Kentucky tomorrow. Kentucky starts Boom Williams with Mikel Horton and JoJo Kemp coming off the bench.

Nobody wants to hear it but Imma say it anyway...Kelvin Taylor wouldn't start for Kentucky tomorrow.

OK. Take a deep breath. Would he start over Ralph Webb at Vandy? In case you forgot, Ralph Webb was a GHS Purple Hurricane and dreamt of being a Gator.

Look, KT is a good Gator. I want nothing but success for him. If he was the starter at 'Bama, they could still get to Atlanta. But we're not 'Bama. Not right now, anyway.

He's more Moody than Gillislee. He is a below-average SEC back. That's fine if you're Kentucky or Vanderbilt. For us, he should be a quality back-up.

I really hope I'm wrong about the kid. I hope the light comes on and I see the next coming of Emmitt, or his dad, or Rhett, or even Gillislee. But I haven't seen it yet.

C'mon Kelvin. Make me eat crow. Please.

Alex.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Hold on. It's only 2 games into the season, a brand new coach, and both are true freshman. They have time to develop.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n280823 said:
Everybody thought Kelvin Taylor was the next Emmitt Smith. Not even the next Fred Taylor, the next Emmitt Smith. He broke Emmitt's records in high school. He was a superstar. He was from South Florida. His daddy was a stud.

It didn't really show up on the field. We were seduced by the name and the massive numbers, and conveniently forgot that he played at a very small school.

We blamed the coach, the offense, the line, everybody except Kelvin. People kept talking about how he had "wiggle" and needed to be the starter.

While Gillislee was a stud on the field, folks were talking about our future and Kelvin Taylor. Wait till Kelvin Taylor gets into this offense they said.

Couple other Florida running backs in his recruiting class...Derrick Henry out of Yulee and Alex Collins out of Plantation. Both of those guys are studs for their teams.

We got Taylor and Adam Lane that year.

Remember the hue and cry when Matt Jones got the first carry in our first game last season? Because Taylor was supposed to be so much better? Folks pulling their hair out? Jones was a plodder, only in because he was a better pass blocker, Taylor was a budding superstar?

Imagined it plenty, never saw it on the field. And for the record, Matt Jones is looking like he's going to have a nice NFL career.

Kelvin Taylor was a stud last year against Georgia. But other than that game, he's been (wow I really hate saying this) a bust.

I know, I know, Muschamp, o-line, injuries, etc.

Would Kelvin Taylor be the starter over Collins at Arkansas or the starter over Henry at Bama? Heck, at Arkansas he's be 3rd string at best (Jonathan Williams and Collins are basically co-starters).

OK, forget about his recruiting class. Would he be starting at UGA over Nick Chubb or starting at LSU over Leonard Fournette or at Tennessee over Jalen Hurd?

What about a cellar-dweller like Kentucky? We play Kentucky tomorrow. Kentucky starts Boom Williams with Mikel Horton and JoJo Kemp coming off the bench.

Nobody wants to hear it but Imma say it anyway...Kelvin Taylor wouldn't start for Kentucky tomorrow.

OK. Take a deep breath. Would he start over Ralph Webb at Vandy? In case you forgot, Ralph Webb was a GHS Purple Hurricane and dreamt of being a Gator.

Look, KT is a good Gator. I want nothing but success for him. If he was the starter at 'Bama, they could still get to Atlanta. But we're not 'Bama. Not right now, anyway.

He's more Moody than Gillislee. He is a below-average SEC back. That's fine if you're Kentucky or Vanderbilt. For us, he should be a quality back-up.

I really hope I'm wrong about the kid. I hope the light comes on and I see the next coming of Emmitt, or his dad, or Rhett, or even Gillislee. But I haven't seen it yet.

C'mon Kelvin. Make me eat crow. Please.

Alex.

I was with you up until these comments.

Doopree

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
It was awesome to see Adam Lane play at least one game; too bad that guy was a bafoon because I thought he was also better than #throatslash.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bama, LSU and even Georgia have lately had Freshman backs that you can look at and immediately know they're going to be special. I finally feel like we have that with Cronk. His leg drive is amazing.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Doopree;n280836 said:
It was awesome to see Adam Lane play at least one game; too bad that guy was a bafoon because I thought he was also better than #throatslash.
Skidmark saw that he wasn't going to climb the depth chart so got the hell out.

Now that everyone seems to have written him off, I expect Kelvin to step up and have a great game against the putty tats. By the way, I don't recall anyone thinking or suggesting he was going to be the next Emmitt. But he has a chance to be a decent back here and have a good season. He will probably make it to the NFL also. How long or productive of a career he will have is unclear.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;n280834 said:
I was with you up until these comments.

I really want him to succeed too.

There are 14 teams in the SEC.

If he's above average, that means he's better than at least 7 other SEC starters.

I know they are just pre-season lists but this one has him at 10th in the conference (but both Arkansas backs are above him so let's be generous and say he's 9th). http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec...entering-2015/

This list also has him out of the top 10 (but again, Arkansas gets 2). In the "also getting votes" category with Kelvin Taylor are the back-ups at UGA, Tennessee, and Auburn. The only other starters are from Ole Miss, South Carolina, ATM, and MSU. According to them, he's somewhere between 9th and 14th. http://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-secs-running-backs-2015

This list is for running back groups, not just starters but obviously your starter is your centerpiece. They have Florida 10th. http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/espn-sec-running-back-position-2015/

Again, this is by unit but they have us dead last. http://www.scout.com/college/football/story/1552781-sec-running-back-rankings

Most folks put Kelvin Taylor around 9th or 10th in the conference. Most folks have Kentucky and Vandy ahead of us. I haven's seen a soul put him in the top half of the conference for ball carriers.

I think he needs to play. His hands do look better than they have, and he's a better pass blocker than the Jordans (and behind this line, that is very important).

But he's a below-average SEC back.

It breaks my heart.

Alex.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
AlexDaGator;n280858 said:

If he's above average, that means he's better than at least 7 other SEC starters.

I know they are just pre-season lists but this one has him at 10th in the conference (but both Arkansas backs are above him so let's be generous and say he's 9th). http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec...entering-2015/

This list also has him out of the top 10 (but again, Arkansas gets 2). In the "also getting votes" category with Kelvin Taylor are the back-ups at UGA, Tennessee, and Auburn. The only other starters are from Ole Miss, South Carolina, ATM, and MSU. According to them, he's somewhere between 9th and 14th. http://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-secs-running-backs-2015

This list is for running back groups, not just starters but obviously your starter is your centerpiece. They have Florida 10th. http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/espn-sec-running-back-position-2015/

Again, this is by unit but they have us dead last. http://www.scout.com/college/football/story/1552781-sec-running-back-rankings

Most folks put Kelvin Taylor around 9th or 10th in the conference. Most folks have Kentucky and Vandy ahead of us. I haven's seen a soul put him in the top half of the conference for ball carriers.

I think he needs to play. His hands do look better than they have, and he's a better pass blocker than the Jordans (and behind this line, that is very important).

It breaks my heart.

Alex.
Who gives a flying F where someone writes their names down on a list? We're going to have a lot of offense in this game and it should be pretty balanced so I expect 200 yards rushing easily. After we beat UT folks will start to take notice.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;n280861 said:
Who gives a flying F where someone writes their names down on a list? We're going to have a lot of offense in this game and it should be pretty balanced so I expect 200 yards rushing easily. After we beat UT folks will start to take notice.

Not that anyone cares where a few writers have him ranked, but when's it's a consensus and his numbers back that up...it's usually true.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;280861 said:

I hope you're right. I hope we start seeing 2014 UGA game KT on a regular basis.

Alex.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;280858 said:

This list also has him out of the top 10 (but again, Arkansas gets 2). In the "also getting votes" category with Kelvin Taylor are the back-ups at UGA, Tennessee, and Auburn. The only other starters are from Ole Miss, South Carolina, ATM, and MSU. According to them, he's somewhere between 9th and 14th. [video]http://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-secs-running-backs-2015[/video]

This list is for running back groups, not just starters but obviously your starter is your centerpiece. They have Florida 10th. [video]http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/espn-sec-running-back-position-2015/[/video]

Again, this is by unit but they have us dead last. [video]http://www.scout.com/college/football/story/1552781-sec-running-back-rankings[/video]

It breaks my heart.

Alex.

That makes me sad as well. Not only is he a legacy but he's a great kid is well. And he was virtually unstoppable in high school.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n280858 said:

It breaks my heart.

Alex.

I wouldn't put him the Fournette/Chubb category, but I certainly think those guys along with Henry wouldn't be the backs they currently are running behind our line. If he has a decent season
he'll rush for over 2000 yards in a 3 year career. Not exactly ALL conference type stuff, but not too bad either. I think he's probably a mid tier SEC back who will have some decent games and also
some strong ones as well. Again maybe not what we hoped for, but not a bust.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
KT just tries to bounce too damn much, that's his biggest problem. Hell, Mac even said to him on that SEC Network thing "the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, stop trying to bounce so much."

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;n280883 said:
I wouldn't put him the Fournette/Chubb category, but I certainly think those guys along with Henry wouldn't be the backs they currently are running behind our line. If he has a decent season
he'll rush for over 2000 yards in a 3 year career. Not exactly ALL conference type stuff, but not too bad either. I think he's probably a mid tier SEC back who will have some decent games and also
some strong ones as well. Again maybe not what we hoped for, but not a bust.

I don't think we're that far apart in our thinking. He's not a total bust, like Steve Shipp (Shipp was the star of the '97 recruiting class, a can't miss WR who was going to be all world in SOS' system...he had 1 catch for negative yards before moving on). KT is only a bust in terms of the unrealistically high expectations we had for him...mostly based on who his father was. Not fair to him but it is what it is.

Alex.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n280892 said:
I don't think we're that far apart in our thinking. He's not a total bust, like Steve Shipp (Shipp was the star of the '97 recruiting class, a can't miss WR who was going to be all world in SOS' system...he had 1 catch for negative yards before moving on). KT is only a bust in terms of the unrealistically high expectations we had for him...mostly based on who his father was. Not fair to him but it is what it is.

Alex.

Yeah. When I think bust I think guys like Tre Orr and Kyle Jackson, and to a lesser extent guys like Deonte . All were hot shot recruits but one was never good enough to even see the field, one couldn't make an open field tackle to save his life and outside of a decent grab in the 2010 cocktail party Deonte doesn't have a single play that I can truly remember.

JohnCoctostan

Oct 27, 2014
Cronkite looks great. However, it's two games into their FR season. A tad early to write off Scarlett, IMO.

I think they are very complimentary backs. Cronk is a one cut power back and Scarlett has more ability to take one to the house. Hopefully, Scarlett gets comfortable because he is a HR threat. Other than Powell, who moved to slot, we don't have another back with that kind of top end speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think the Cronkrite/Scarlett duo will get a lot of media attention next season. Not just because KT will be gone but mainly because O-line will be stronger.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n280948 said:
I think the Cronkrite/Scarlett duo will get a lot of media attention next season. Not just because KT will be gone but mainly because O-line will be stronger.
Where will kt be?

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n280951 said:
Where will kt be?
He'll declare early for the draft. I'm not saying he should, but my guess is that's what he'll do and may have already decided to do so.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n280981 said:
He'll declare early for the draft. I'm not saying he should, but my guess is that's what he'll do and may have already decided to do so.

I'm not so sure. Gotta remember he's not your typical college kid from a poor family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.