Sep 15, 2014
Last edited:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I skimmed the article. Sounds pretty bad. Did they say what the rate of CTE was by the same tests in the average active healthy male population?

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Football as we know it is about to go away.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Football as we know it is about to go away.

Fraid you're right. Size, speed, and strength have turned these guys into modern day gladiators. And, i would assume, that these findings are for players from another era.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That will be the future, yes. Tackle football will one day be a distant memory.

As long as its very popular it will probably be around. As soon as the younger people really lose interest in watching it as much it could slowly fade away due to everything.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They could actually try to stop rampant PED and steroid use

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
maxresdefault.jpg

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Once in a while I skim through the rulebook to try and understand some nuance of the game. What's interesting is that nowhere in the text is any mention about one of the goals of the game to be to lay waste to your opponent. Crushing and destroying people isn't one of the stated goals. The point is to advance the ball without any part of your body other than your foot or hand touching the ground. The goal of the defense is to get the ball carrier onto the ground. But hitting and violence have become such a part of the game that they are for all intents and purposes inseparable from the game itself. The helmet, for instance, was invented to protect a players head from incidental contact, but has really lead to the ability to launch one's body into the opponent with unheralded violence.

On a similar note, brain injuries have got to be just another item on a long list of heinous injuries that are on the rise. The human body wasn't meant to be that big and strong and fast. The number of muscle separations, torn ligaments and even internal injuries seem to also be on the rise although I don't have any data to prove it.

Lastly, the other pads the players wear have literally disappeared before our eyes in the last 20 years. I don't think shoulder pads are even half the size they were when we won our first championship.
PADS-videoSixteenByNine1050.jpg

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Eric Dickerson wore ALL the pads. He wore LB shoulder pads, neck roll, QB flak jacket, even hip pads (nobody wears hip pads anymore) and goggles.

WRs and CBs barely wear any pads at all. Nothing to slow them down.

We could make the game safer for concussions but the helmets would look oversized and goofy. Players want to look cool. You would have to mandate it across every level of football.

The other solution is to go old school. Take the helmet and shoulder pads off, rugby style.

Alex.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
The study says the brains showed some sign of CTE. it doesn't say the individuals had any symptoms or effects. The hysteria over this is overwhelmingly offset by the untold hundreds of thousands of ex-football players at all levels who have shown no effects from CTE. There is risk and there are safety issues to resolve but the hype doesn't fit reality.

An ER doc friend went to a conference on this. He texted me a picture of a slide that listed the prevalence of CTE by sport in high school. #1? Girls ice hockey. Football was #7 - after boys and girls soccer among others.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Once in a while I skim through the rulebook to try and understand some nuance of the game. What's interesting is that nowhere in the text is any mention about one of the goals of the game to be to lay waste to your opponent. Crushing and destroying people isn't one of the stated goals. The point is to advance the ball without any part of your body other than your foot or hand touching the ground. The goal of the defense is to get the ball carrier onto the ground. But hitting and violence have become such a part of the game that they are for all intents and purposes inseparable from the game itself. The helmet, for instance, was invented to protect a players head from incidental contact, but has really lead to the ability to launch one's body into the opponent with unheralded violence.

On a similar note, brain injuries have got to be just another item on a long list of heinous injuries that are on the rise. The human body wasn't meant to be that big and strong and fast. The number of muscle separations, torn ligaments and even internal injuries seem to also be on the rise although I don't have any data to prove it.

Lastly, the other pads the players wear have literally disappeared before our eyes in the last 20 years. I don't think shoulder pads are even half the size they were when we won our first championship.
PADS-videoSixteenByNine1050.jpg
Nothing really to add to this, it's spot on. I have two nephews, and while I'm not raising them, I won't be encouraging them to play football. If I ever have a son, I won't be encouraging him to play football, either. Plenty of other sports you can play that won't completely f*ck your health up for life before you hit 30.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nothing really to add to this, it's spot on. I have two nephews, and while I'm not raising them, I won't be encouraging them to play football. If I ever have a son, I won't be encouraging him to play football, either. Plenty of other sports you can play that won't completely f*ck your health up for life before you hit 30.

Yeah, but after a good NFL career, you can afford your health care if you don't squander everything you earn like so many do...

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NFL is notorious for having a sh*t pension program.

I'm not talking about a pension. Most of them earn millions during their career. They should try saving some of it instead of blowing it all on fancy cars, houses, partying and womanizing.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We could make the game safer for concussions but the helmets would look oversized and goofy. Players want to look cool. You would have to mandate it across every level of football.
Take the helmet away, or go back to leather. They won't go flying across the field headfirst anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator