CTE found in 110 of 111 former NFL players

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, but after a good NFL career, you can afford your health care if you don't squander everything you earn like so many do...
At the risk of your mental and physical health? Money isn't always everything.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The study says the brains showed some sign of CTE. it doesn't say the individuals had any symptoms or effects. The hysteria over this is overwhelmingly offset by the untold hundreds of thousands of ex-football players at all levels who have shown no effects from CTE. There is risk and there are safety issues to resolve but the hype doesn't fit reality.

An ER doc friend went to a conference on this. He texted me a picture of a slide that listed the prevalence of CTE by sport in high school. #1? Girls ice hockey. Football was #7 - after boys and girls soccer among others.
Theo is tracking along with the question I asked in post 4. Lots of people bump their heads doing anything from slipping on a curb to skateboarding to working under a car. How much impact and how many impacts does it take to find "some evidence of CTE" on the average, active dude? You need this baseline if you're going to make claims about the effects of football hits on the brain.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not talking about a pension. Most of them earn millions during their career. They should try saving some of it instead of blowing it all on fancy cars, houses, partying and womanizing.
What good is all that cash if you can't have a good time? :giggity:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Theo is tracking along with the question I asked in post 4. Lots of people bump their heads doing anything from slipping on a curb to skateboarding to working under a car. How much impact and how many impacts does it take to find "some evidence of CTE" on the average, active dude? You need this baseline if you're going to make claims about the effects of football hits on the brain.

I've suffered several concussions - 2 from falling out of trees as a kid and another slipping on a sandy sidewalk. I played LB in JV football 2 years & switched to rowing after getting cut from varsity my senior year. I did get headaches sometimes in football practice but none now.

My dad played OL into college. His teammates include leaders in every field, none of whom have a bit of CTE symptoms. They include doctors, lawyers, pilots, Navy admiral, a US senator & THE guy who served Nixon his subpoena.

I've known & met loads of football players. The only one who has spoken of such symptoms is Scot Brantley, who was advised to quit after that awful hit to his head vs. Ga Tech.

Clearly it can be a problem and clearly it should be studied and so forth. But I honestly think the hype is driven by intelligentsia pansies who want to emasculate our culture.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What can be taken away from this is that the players whose families though their might have been an issue donated their brains, so the results are a true population. Does CTE happen due to football their is no definite link due to this study, but there is a circumstantial link due to this study. There is no control group in this study (something Mike and Mike brought up this morning). Is football dangerous? Yes. Could football lead to concussions? Yes. Does more studies need to be done before any real links are made? Absolutely.

This subject is really a new subject and it is way too early to make definite statements based on the data at hand. We do not know how regular CTE is in the normal population, in other sports, etc... The real question isn't what we know at this point, it's what we don't.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Well...if the liberal scientists researched this like they do most of their research they probably already knew who had/or didn't have CTE before the research started. Most of these people are pushing an agenda nowadays instead of doing something about it which would be inventing a helmet to make playing Football as safe as possible.

Also...if the NFL is so worried about this issue they would drop the endorsement deals (from the helment companies) and push for scientists to develop a helmet that's safer for the players. However...that's not going to happen because they line they're pockets with that very money! The NFL will only let players wear helmets made by 4 different companies (because of politics) despite there being much safer options out there. In other words...let the players wear what they want to instead of the cheap $hit they're forced to and see if these problems continue to be as bad. People will still get hurt and develop CTE but maybe the numbers of cases will decrease.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Well...if the liberal scientists researched this like they do most of their research they probably already knew who had/or didn't have CTE before the research started. Most of these people are pushing an agenda nowadays instead of doing something about it which would be inventing a helmet to make playing Football as safe as possible.

Also...if the NFL is so worried about this issue they would drop the endorsement deals (from the helment companies) and push for scientists to develop a helmet that's safer for the players. However...that's not going to happen because they line they're pockets with that very money! The NFL will only let players wear helmets made by 4 different companies (because of politics) despite there being much safer options out there. In other words...let the players wear what they want to instead of the cheap $hit they're forced to and see if these problems continue to be as bad. People will still get hurt and develop CTE but maybe the numbers of cases will decrease.

I thought your idea of only 4 companies was not currently correct.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...all-is-set-to-make-its-nfl-debut-next-season/

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Hopefully, for those of upcoming CFE affliction, all this new intense focus will lead to intervwntion medical tratments that will minimize the deterioration, slow it's progress. Still, CFE affliction should be bundled with sudden TBI, PTSD, that non-sports heroes get and they have no wealth or other life-bonuses to go with their sacrifice

I can understand those who commit suicide as you've spent your whole life a sharp leader, getting so many to depend on you and then your brain betrays you and loved ones. You're more & more becoming a stranger to yourself. The worst is you realize that it's your essence (your brain.. it's function) that is no longer you. And your brain is our everything,. It's even your soul. So, your life is no longer around. Life is no longer with you. So your remove the stranger from your house.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
that's how it was a couple yrs back because i remember hearing NFL players talk about it. 90% of them wore Schutt or Riddel which both are pretty garbage I'm glad they finally designed some to help limit the impact.

Yes it is new, but I remember Larry Czonka getting a custom helmet with special padding back in the day.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
There are other ways to land trophy wives, like being hung like a horse that grew up under power lines.
And how would the women know that? Thankfully men don’t walk around with it flopping around for all to see.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
This a ummm no brainer. I don't know how anyone could be surprised by this. 300+lb super hulk guys repeatedly slamming into each other with the force of a Mack truck has got to destroy the body and the brain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator