Current Status: Pumper....but the urgency is real

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Things that need to happen for the Gators to ascend back to the top of the mountain, each one being dependant on the other.

1. Keep Winning

Mullen has shown more coaching acumen and ability to do more with less than his two predecessors. Winning will keep the profile high, UF's reputation healing and fans like me engaged. Don't suck may be another way of putting this.

Nine wins is good coming off a craptastic losing season, but nine wins next year and the year after will keep people wondering if things will continue to move from glory to glory.

2. Recruiting

To keep improving your winning, Mullen can't just rely on crafty words and motivation to go with his X's and O's. You have to match that competence with talent level to be the best.

While I am not overly concerned about this season of recruiting, Mullen needs to understand that it is not just dumper noise regarding needing to be exceptional in this area of the job.

If determined he is behind on accelerating this aspect of the job, he needs to prioritize this because waiting until after 2020 may result in stalling point #1 and thus working against him accomplishing this item as well.

This is where the most vocal of critics about this recruiting cycle has been coming from -- Mullen really needed to use this season to get back into the top tier of recruits. Not doing it this cycle may mean he missed his chance. Now, that may not be true if 2020 is elite, but another moderate cycle may result in the point I made above -- stalling out the winning, which would stall out the 'crutin, etc.

3. Facilities

Unimpressive Name Dropping Time:

I covered the Atlanta Hawks for many years and, in doing so, spoke with a number of pro athletes and coaches about their college days and recruiting, since all of them had no reason to hide anything anymore. Put aside the "side benefits" like cars, etc. All of them said that the wow factor of the luxury they were walking into was a key decision point.

Guys who went to UK talked about walking into the facilities there and it was like a luxury hotel. Bell, whistles, etc. This has been going on since the late 70's-early 80's. Mike Woodson, who ended up playing for Bobby Knight at Indiana, said that Kentucky's luxury was phenomenal -- and that was back then. Things have just continued to ramp up.

So when players walk into Alabama or Georgia or Texas A&M and see facilities that are far better than the ShantyTown ours are purported to being, that will very much work against us. The arrogance of Foley and other UAA administration who thought they were taking the high road due to trying to be Stanford or whoever actually hurt those peripheral sports that depend on the revenue that football provides.

Weaker facilities yield weaker recruiting classes which yield weaker results.

All of these things need to improve in concert with each other. The so-called dumpers are only feeling and communicating the urgency.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Two out of three I agree with. Our facilities should be very good, not something that we just throw money at. Those that value that can go somewhere else, we want folks who want to be Gators and can't be so easily bribed with stuff.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Unfortunately, winning and recruiting are almost a chicken/egg situation. You have to recruit well to win, but you have to win to recruit. I was a little surprised at our class (so far) this year not being at least in the top 10, but when you consider how bad things have been for a decade, it's understandable. The class ranking this year is going to have to be irrelevant, because regardless of star rating, the players we just signed and will sign until February are going to be the players who will make or break Mullen's tenure here. That's why it was so nice to see the number of quality offensive linemen we signed, because that's where it all starts. Yes, we still have needs on the defensive side of the ball, but Mullen has at least shown he can make lemonade out of rotten lemons.

As far as the facilities are concerned, it is what it is. We can't snap our fingers and make them better overnight. Just make the rest of the experience that much more desirable to the average recruit where the facilities won't be a sticking point.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. The class ranking this year is going to have to be irrelevant, because regardless of star rating, the players we just signed and will sign until February are going to be the players who will make or break Mullen's tenure here.
THIS.

The 2020 class wont affect the play on the field much until 2023. The decision on Mullinz will be made long before then. This roster looks like a 4-5 loss roster.

He keeps his job or loses it with what he landed last year and this year, along with Butters leftovers. That's the fact.

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The facilities issue is real. I don't know that kids really care if they have luxury suites vs. the subpar stuff we provide, but facilities aren't just about spoiling the athletes. When a recruit compares facilities, part of what's going on, either consciously or subconsciously, which school is dedicated to football. When decisions are made, who comes first? If you go to Bama or Clemson or A&M, you know football comes first. It's as much or more about perception and image than actual utility.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
THIS.

The 2020 class wont affect the play on the field much until 2023. The decision on Mullinz will be made long before then. This roster looks like a 4-5 loss roster.

He keeps his job or loses it with what he landed last year and this year, along with Butters leftovers. That's the fact.

You can keep repeating this over and over on a Gator message board as if it’s a fact, but that doesn’t mean it’s real. Mullen isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

I watched my alma mater employ a flexbone spread option coach for eleven years averaging 7-8 wins per season with one power five conference championship and a couple other appearances. He took over a program on probation and kept the team out of trouble. The alumni are a bunch of nerds who are happy the football program does well but happier with the pristine academic reputation of the university. In other words, academics first, football second.

Welcome to the new University of Florida. 10 wins.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
The facilities issue is real. I don't know that kids really care if they have luxury suites vs. the subpar stuff we provide, but facilities aren't just about spoiling the athletes. When a recruit compares facilities, part of what's going on, either consciously or subconsciously, which school is dedicated to football. When decisions are made, who comes first? If you go to Bama or Clemson or A&M, you know football comes first. It's as much or more about perception and image than actual utility.
UF Baseball, womens sports then football. Thats how I see it right now. Thanks Foley

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The alumni are a bunch of nerds who are happy the football program does well but happier with the pristine academic reputation of the university. In other words, academics first, football second.

I'll need to check my nerd meter. I'd prefer to have both.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You can keep repeating this over and over on a Gator message board as if it’s a fact, but that doesn’t mean it’s real. Mullen isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
2023 isn't anytime soon and that's when 2020 recruits will help.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I watched my alma mater employ a flexbone spread option coach for eleven years averaging 7-8 wins per season.
You're alma mater isn't UF. Win soon or die. Look at the resume. That is who UF is. We fire coaches in three years if they suck.

Im not saying it is 2020 for sure, but 2021 is certainly a likelihood, if we are say still lingering in the 4-5 loss territory.

You folks were all saying Butters was a six year, at least, guy too. You were wrong, as always.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Are you going to stay in a two star hotel on vacation when you can stay at a 4 star and get points back for the same price. It all matters

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
You're alma mater isn't UF. Win soon or die. Look at the resume. That is who UF is. We fire coaches in three years if they suck.

Im not saying it is 2020 for sure, but 2021 is certainly a likelihood, if we are say still lingering in the 4-5 loss territory.

You folks were all saying Butters was a six year, at least, guy too. You were wrong, as always.

It’s obvious Mullen can average ten wins per season with UF being in the East. That will earn him employment as long as he wants. Keep the team off probation and the booking report and stay away from hookers and he is golden.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There’s is absolutely zero reason that we can’t snap our fingers and get the facilities going right now to speed up the process. It’s just not the priority and that’s what recruits see. Facilities = Marketing.

Malaka

Sep 6, 2018
THIS.

So 2018 recruits determine Mullen's 2019 season but the 2020 won't come into play until 2023? Seems legit....

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
One thing I'd like to point out is #2. This was a unique window of opportunity because of fsu and Miami being down. And meyer retiring. I personally feel like the stars were aligned for us to capitalize on it but we didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.