Dabo Punishes Player with Bus Ride

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jesus Christ, lighten up Francis! I don't know WTF is going on in the military these days but when I was in if you screwed up and did something stupid guess what, you got ****ing yelled at. In public.
Shyt we got yelled at every damn day, screw up or not.

Yes, in the infantry, before they became pussies, I guess.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
If any of you knuckle dragging dumbasses could read, and I realize that is asking a lot here, you would have read that have no problem yelling at a player. I have no problem with the player riding the bus back to Clemson. Stated that specifically.

My only problem is a kid getting humiliated on a national level for throwing a couple punches ina football game.

Getting yelled at at practice, Army unit, etc is not the same as this. The entire nation and their brother was not privy to the punishment you received.

Praise in public, criticize in private, coach them on th sidelines. Read that comment from some of you keyboard commandos on here more than once.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Public humiliation? Sounds good to me. Our teachers paddled our ass in front of the whole class all the way to 6th grade. I rode a bus to every game I ever played in and back. At least 75 times. I bet he survives...........

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
SOS and Shane were talking about this today. They had a bad flying experience and Ellis Johnson said he was NOT FLYING on that plane again. He took buses. Then SOS said Ellis went on to get his pilots license and flew his own small plane for a long time........

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Public humiliation? Sounds good to me. Our teachers paddled our ass in front of the whole class all the way to 6th grade. I rode a bus to every game I ever played in and back. At least 75 times. I bet he survives...........

In front of the class (or team) isn't quite the same as the entire country.

Would you be fine with your principal chewing your ass in front of your peers and then blasted your punishment to a national media outlet? My guess is no. And I damn sure would want to do a damn thing for that principal again.

Not sure why it's ok to treat a player like **** when we expect to be treated better by our bosses.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The guy did the deed on national tv. Getting disciplined and having the word get out sends a message about the program. Keeping it private makes people wonder if you’re ok with it. We’ve all been to plenty of leadership classes.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
In front of the class (or team) isn't quite the same as the entire country.

Would you be fine with your principal chewing your ass in front of your peers and then blasted your punishment to a national media outlet? My guess is no. And I damn sure would want to do a damn thing for that principal again.

Not sure why it's ok to treat a player like **** when we expect to be treated better by our bosses.
I do see your point in part. Especially in a business setting you praise in public and correct in private. But we are talking about a team and the dynamics of it. I knew some coaches that would hammer the star or leader in front of the team to prove they were all equal.

Look, you love them and hammer them when its appropriate. I saw Mullen getting after Trask pretty hard during the SC game. I saw some coach go nuts on his QB (UT kid against bama). To me that is worse cause the camera is watching. Riding a bus is just getting your attention. I would hardly call that treating someone like sh!t. I told my son the other day if he leaves his backpack and chrome book here again IM NOT chasing the bus down or bringing it to school. Those are absolutely important for him during the day and will probably cause him embarrassment to explain to each teacher his deal BUT he will learn from it.

Fighting in a football game is BAD, YOu get thrown out, Miss a game. HURTS the team bad and makes team look bad. Coaches all have their ways of getting a point across. Old Dabo played for bama in back in the day when his feeling probably were the last thing they cared about. I know when I played HS football in the early 70s my coach (former UF FB) cared nothign about our feelings or even bodies when we practiced full pads in the heat for hours and hours with no water. Stupid it was but we were tough as concrete posts in games.

Things have changed I know. But kids need to learn lessons about life cause it aint gonna be fair with referees and replay in the world beyond college.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Always wondered what AF enlisted housing was like. You guys get stuck on the fairway instead of by the green? No direct waterfront, but one block away?
My dad was a career AF officer. We lived in base housing during my elementary school years at Eglin AFB. The beach was right behind the house across the street. Perfect for a 6-year-old kid.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
The only thing I can tell them is that it's a hard life. Everybody's going to have to ride the equipment truck at some point. It gets you to the same place the plane would, hopefully a little wiser.
:exactly: and to all the rest he said..............
Dabo obviously doesn't parent well. Take the player's phone for a few days. Most effective punishment ever.
WE have the winner right here.........good point Buddy. Its like putting them in total isolation. Hell, they might even enjoy it seeing the real world around them and interacting with humans again............or it may scare the sh!t out of them................

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
If any of you knuckle dragging dumbasses could read, and I realize that is asking a lot here, you would have read that have no problem yelling at a player. I have no problem with the player riding the bus back to Clemson. Stated that specifically.

My only problem is a kid getting humiliated on a national level for throwing a couple punches ina football game.

Getting yelled at at practice, Army unit, etc is not the same as this. The entire nation and their brother was not privy to the punishment you received.

Praise in public, criticize in private, coach them on th sidelines. Read that comment from some of you keyboard commandos on here more than once.

I understand your point about humiliation, but as stated by other posters above, the DEED was national and public. It is not the same as "practice" or in your unit where only those nearby get to see the mistake - and the yelling.

Telling the public that he rode the bus back does not rise to the level of "humiliating." Humiliation would be calling him a dumb-ass on national TV and questioning his parentage/IQ/number of chromosomes/hygiene - (like we do on this forum!)

From the article:
“He has been great. He has been incredibly responsive and remorseful. He has responded the way you would hope a good young person would respond,” he said.

“He is very disappointed in himself, embarrassed. That is way out of character for who he is. He has apologized to our team, our AD. He has to own it and learn from it and I have been pleased with how he has taken ownership and been accountable. But he had a long bus ride home last night.”

No, his coach did not humiliate the player on a national level. He did that himself.
As stated in your quote, the coach did praise his response - in public.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There is such a huge disconnect between your opinions when you think for yourself and your opinion when the union and party tell you what to think.

I really like the "thinks for himself" coach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator