Dabo would have been fired at Florida

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Simple: forget Butters, Zook and Chimp. Would Dabo have either been fired in actuality from UF and would the message board universe have undergone a perpetual meltdown for the 7 years prior to a NC, calling for his head with every post?

I don't know in 2012 he won the Peach bowl and a bunch of people apparently think that is a big deal.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Dabo won an ACC championship in his 3rd full season and won 11 games his 4th season. To say he was ever in any real trouble at Clemson is crazy with their historic football results.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Dabo won an ACC championship in his 3rd full season and won 11 games his 4th season. To say he was ever in any real trouble at Clemson is crazy with their historic football results.

Their first conference championship since 1991... Dabo was safe.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Should I have put this in the original post:

Caution: uncomfortable dumper self-examination thread...
I don’t understand the point of this thread. Are you suggesting that we fired Zook, Mushchamp and/or Mac too early and deprived ourselves of their future greatness? Which one of them should have been given more time?

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
This site doesn't dictate what an athletic department does. If it did, Mullen would've never been hired, and if he was, would've been dismissed the moment the reactions from here came in. If the title of the thread was "many here would've been critical of Dabo in his first 4 years" then so be it, and I'd agree. Welcome to sports message boards. But there are no real life examples of a UF head coach averaging over 8+ wins in their first 3 seasons, or ending their 3rd season with 10 wins and being fired. Not one.
Always respect your sound posts, So Fla, but your arithmetic is faulty:
22/2.583 = 8.52. Certainly 8.52 is fully equivalent to 8+.
He was fired as he should have been. The central point is that UF's fan base is more demanding and discriminating than Clemson's.

Last edited:

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Yeah, @Tay Bang ... I kinda understand what you are saying and think you got a point, but I think you kinda went out on left field with this one. zOoK, Chump and Butters all didn't deserve more time and they were fired when they needed to be fired and wish Foley would have been fired with them. And even though you got whiny babies like dougie who can't just enjoy the impressive journey it took for our team to get to where we are today as well as the trajectory we are on and seem to be continuing, I dont think anyone is saying Mullen's seat is even remotely warm.

Just be happy that dumpers have little to dump on right now .. like someone saying Peach Bowl Champions vs a quality win against a quality program.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Okay, try this. Of CDM wins 9 and 10 games the next two years and recruiting continues to be ranked between 12 to 15, will he be retained for a fourth yea

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Okay, try this. Of CDM wins 9 and 10 games the next two years and recruiting continues to be ranked between 12 to 15, will he be retained for a fourth yea

AR, I would assume that with the 10 win season we are truly in the conversation for SEC Champion, he would deserve a year 4. The difference is in the direction of the program, no on can say in year 3, Zook, Chump or Butters was moving in a positive direction in year three.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t understand the point of this thread. Are you suggesting that we fired Zook, Mushchamp and/or Mac too early and deprived ourselves of their future greatness? Which one of them should have been given more time?
I'm gonna go with Zook on that one. The guy clearly had the Bear Bryant in him.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You may or may not be wrong as to Dabo being fired in bizarro universe at UF, though I suspect you’re probably wrong.

As to the implication that UF, or more directly it’s fans (particularly on this board), have not given our coaches a fair chance, or caused them to be fired too soon:

You are 100% wrong. Absolutely none of Zook, chump or Mac deserved to be here a day longer than they were. They all got too much time here. Are you honestly suggesting they would have had Dabo like results despite watching the painfully obvious downward spiral? Just compare this year’s Michigan game to last year. This view that we had Dabo in the waiting and cut him loose too soon is borderline insane.

Similarly, until Mullen wins the conference, will people still doubt he can - of course. And progress from Mullen this year demonstrates just that- progress (and a lot of it). He hasn’t proven, though, he can win a championship of any kind as a head coach until he does. We all hope, even the biggest non-pumpers, that he shoves doubt in everyone’s faces and puts us at the top of the mountain but none of us know that yet.

Mullen will not be fired in 3 years regardless, because we will never fully suck like we did under chump or Mac.

Stupid analogy is stupid.

I find it funny that for all the heat we take for the way we've dealt with previous coaches, one failed at his next HC stop and is now a ST's coach some 14 years later...one was on the market for months with no interest before taking a position coaching job and is now in his first year of destroying a MAC team...and the other begged for a job with a desperate program that had been passed up by every viable candidate and is currently failing at that school--namely for the reasons we used against him here--and may very well be in the last 24 months of the head coaching experiment.

So maybe we aren't that far off after all when we claim that these guys aren't cut out for the UF job. Seems to me like we have a pretty good eye for talent and simply recognize failure when it's staring us in the face. As you said, if anything it would appear that we let them stay too long because clearly no other P5 team wanted them.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Always respect your sound posts, So Fla, but your arithmetic is faulty:
22/2.583 = 8.52. Certainly 8.52 is fully equivalent to 8+.
He was fired as he should have been. The central point is that UF's fan base is more demanding and discriminating than Clemson's.

Are we really taking JM's record through mid season? Come on, AR. He wasn't beating Mizzou, Usce or fsu last year. He needed miracles to avoid an 0-3 start. But to be clear, he didn't average 8+wins through 3 years because he wasn't here for 3 full years. Nor was there a chance he was winning 10 games. My point stands.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018

My thread says zero about Butters, Chimp or Zooker.

The original question is would Dabo have been fired if Clemson was Florida?

My opinion, he wouldn't have been fired by our admin but it would have been a 7 year message-board universe meltdown.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Except for Dabo's 2nd season being worse than his first full season with the team most everything pointed to a coach being on the right path.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Yeah, @Tay Bang ... I kinda understand what you are saying and think you got a point, but I think you kinda went out on left field with this one. zOoK, Chump and Butters all didn't deserve more time and they were fired when they needed to be fired and wish Foley would have been fired with them. And even though you got whiny babies like dougie who can't just enjoy the impressive journey it took for our team to get to where we are today as well as the trajectory we are on and seem to be continuing, I dont think anyone is saying Mullen's seat is even remotely warm.

Just be happy that dumpers have little to dump on right now .. like someone saying Peach Bowl Champions vs a quality win against a quality program.

Again, this thread has nothing to do with our three clowns. This is simply asking if Dabo had the exact same record at Florida and we were in the ACC, would he have been fired? And the secondary question has evolved: would the message board intelligentsia called for his head at some point prior to the first NC?

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
I find it funny that for all the heat we take for the way we've dealt with previous coaches, one failed at his next HC stop and is now a ST's coach some 14 years later...one was on the market for months with no interest before taking a position coaching job and is now in his first year of destroying a MAC team...and the other begged for a job with a desperate program that had been passed up by every viable candidate and is currently failing at that school--namely for the reasons we used against him here--and may very well be in the last 24 months of the head coaching experiment.

So maybe we aren't that far off after all when we claim that these guys aren't cut out for the UF job. Seems to me like we have a pretty good eye for talent and simply recognize failure when it's staring us in the face. As you said, if anything it would appear that we let them stay too long because clearly no other P5 team wanted them.

I agree, but what if Dabo was at Florida? What would happen over his first 7 years?

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Again, this thread has nothing to do with our three clowns. This is simply asking if Dabo had the exact same record at Florida and we were in the ACC, would he have been fired? And the secondary question has evolved: would the message board intelligentsia called for his head at some point prior to the first NC?

I tend to think that most people here are a lot closer to agreement than they are disagreeing. I truly even think dougie and I are a lot closer to agreeing than disagreeing on a lot of stuff we have went back and forth on. Most of those that raise concerns aren't truly dumpers even though they will get pushed in a corner by pumpers and labeled as such. And same could be said about people who bring up some positives getting labeled pumper.

With that said, there are always those that will b!tch and moan about the coaching staff and the starting QB. Always. And there are always those that will defend the coaching staff and starting QB no matter what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.