Dabo would have been fired at Florida

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Tay....you’re coming off a little “UCF-ish” in this thread. Or maybe Jboss-ish.

Either way...it’s not the best of looks.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Okay, but would DABO have been fired?
Again, Dabo isn't Dabo at UF. There are two programs in the country that historically have given Bammer a run for their $$$$$, Clempson and SMU. Dabo doesn't eventually start landing top classes and get 5 star kids wanting to drive UF Escalades bc UF doesn't give Escalades. UF doesn't go out and hire at top DC from Oklahoma and pay him the biggest salary in the country. UF goes and hires Randy Fggging Shanon for half price. Dabo doesnt get wave after wave after wave of every facility and staff member he desires.

Dabo at UF looks more like the guy that SOS made fun of and beat like a drum every year. He never becomes the Dabo at Clemson if he is Dabo at UF.

Your whole premise that if you just keep terrible coaches they might win later is wrong. The exception proves the rule as they say. The fact that you can only find one example proves that it doesn't happen.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Gator internet melts down after each loss, regardless of how the season is going.
Every team's does. Except probably Ga Tech and Vandies of the world.

You can find a thousand examples of Bammers wanting to fire Saban this morning.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I'm not really sure why Zooker, Chimp and Butters are a part of this discussion. It wasn't my intent. The Gator internet would have melted down after Dabo's third full season. He probably wouldn't have been fired in actuality.

If I were to guess, I'd say after that Orange Bowl humiliation at the hands of West Virginia to end his third season, us bad Gators would've acknowledged the positives but demanded a new, legit defensive coordinator. Like say, Brent Venables.:lol:

Ftr, I probably brought those names into the discussion with my response to Ancient. He says there are examples that prove we'd have fired DS, so I used the most recent examples in response. My fault for muddying the waters.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I'm not sure he would have been fired, but do I think Gatorchatter would be have been fueling the missiles and rounding third on the way to DONKCON 1? Yes, I do. That is just on the basis of his performance and record unweighted for the fact that he was doing this in the ACC and in those same years would have likely fared worse in the SEC East (Evidenced by the fact that he lost to USCe each and every year until 2014).

In that time frame he was 6-11 against their rivals (FSU (2-3), Georgia Tech (3-3) and USCe (0-5). So let's just say he had managed the record he did at Clemson through 2013 here but he was 0-5 to FSU, 2-3 to Georgia, and 3-3 to Tennessee and along the way had lost road games at Vandy and Kentucky (using them as stand ins for a 2-9 Maryland and 8-5 UNC). Is anyone here going to make the argument that this fanbase would not be crying for blood?

To Meyer's credit he understood our fanbase and put a lot of emphasis on the fact we want to dominate our rivals. Maybe the UAA doesn't fire him - but would our fans do their best to run him off? Yes, I think they would have.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If I were to guess, I'd say after that Orange Bowl humiliation at the hands of West Virginia to end his third season, us bad Gators would've acknowledged the positives but demanded a new, legit defensive coordinator. Like say, Randy Fgggging Shannon
Fixed it for ya!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Not at all like you. Your suppositions don't make your point. Think about it. You are arguing that an 8+ winner would get 4 years and then saying a coach averaging 8+ doesn't count because he was fired before he could complete three? Really? We agree that McIlwain should have been fired. You just got carried away with your prose and, in saying it hadn't happened and wouldn't happen, over stated the situation.

Well in short, yes. He didn't average 8 wins because he couldn't even keep himself from a major gaffe in a press conference.

I also qualified it with averaging it over 3 years, winning 10 in year 3, and have said that off-the-field circumstances have to be considered. All things Dabo did. I'll repeat my point that if a guy puts up those records and doesn't embarrass the university with something away from football, he gets a 4th year. If you want to remove Mac as an "incomplete", that's fine. Zook and WM make my point. We may be a very demanding fan base, but we're not some outlier who routinely kicks competent coaches to the curb, which is what I took from your initial post. If I read it wrong, my apologies.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Fixed it for ya!

Well, I pointed out BV because that bloodbath in the OB prompted him to make that hire. So clearly Dabo was either forced to do it, or was sensing some serious heat and knew he had to make a big hire to correct the defense or he'd be out of a job.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well in short, yes. He didn't average 8 wins because he couldn't even keep himself from a major gaffe in a press conference.

I also qualified it with averaging it over 3 years, winning 10 in year 3, and have said that off-the-field circumstances have to be considered. All things Dabo did. I'll repeat my point that if a guy puts up those records and doesn't embarrass the university with something away from football, he gets a 4th year. If you want to remove Mac as an "incomplete", that's fine. Zook and WM make my point. We may be a very demanding fan base, but we're not some outlier who routinely kicks competent coaches to the curb, which is what I took from your initial post. If I read it wrong, my apologies.
AR loves shytty coaches. Hell, he lives in M'ssippi. Clearly his standards aren't high.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, I pointed out BV because that bloodbath in the OB prompted him to make that hire. So clearly Dabo was either forced to do it, or was sensing some serious heat and knew he had to make a big hire to correct the defense or he'd be out of a job.
Well, the other option is that Dabo wanted someone competent before and he wasn't given the budget to bring him, then he demanded competence after that 77 point drubbing.

There is a lot of evidence that Butters wanted much better assistant coaches (initial pretty specific rumors about Oregon WR coach, a couple of Bammer coaches) and demanded a huge staff like Bammer, Ugly, OSU or Clemson and UF said "No.....we shop in the Reject Aisle only." Although, on the other hand, his coordinator hires were clearly his own choice and two of the three were historically terrible hires.

5-Star Finger

Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
You are comparing two completely different programs and situations.

Everything you said is fair and on point. However, the realty is that Florida is now a decade removed from relevance. Additionally, our Gators find themselves well behind the curve in the "arms race" while trying to woo a generation that increasingly values the experience over brand (in this case home state program) loyalty.

If I got Tay's point it was not that Butters or Chump should have been given more time, but that Dabo wouldn't have been given more time. As I stated above, I'm not sure he would have been fired - but there would have been plenty of dudes calling for it.

5-Star Finger

Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
We don't have a brand loyalty. We don't have a brand. Fooley destroyed it, in order to make more "profit".

I agree. Still, there are kids that have grown up rooting for our bad news bears - even if it is just because their parents were dyed in wool Gators. Those loyalties that used to keep kids in state don't play as big a role as they once did. You have to sell them an experience. Right now that experience is a concrete block dorm room that looks like it was once used to house Japanese during WWII, no stand alone football facility and a locker room that looks like a high school compared to U freaking K's.

We've got to do better or even if we get great recruiters on staff they are going to struggle going head to head with the rest of our league that (with the exception of Vandy) is all-in.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Ftr, I probably brought those names into the discussion with my response to Ancient. He says there are examples that prove we'd have fired DS, so I used the most recent examples in response. My fault for muddying the waters.

Nah SoFla. You didn’t insert those three garbage coaches. First foley did, but in this thread it was the implication in the OP or the OP so closely mirrored these same Dabo arguments near the end of the Chump and Mac tenures that its hard to believe Tay didn’t know of the implication when he made the OP.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Tay....you’re coming off a little “UCF-ish” in this thread. Or maybe Jboss-ish.

Either way...it’s not the best of looks.

Actually, this entire thread topic was an elaborate ruse. Go back and read the pre-Mullen coaching search thread, if you have 72 hours to burn. The point is, Dabo would not have met a single poster’s requirements for hiring at Florida. He had no head coaching experience prior to his promotion at Clemson. He never would have been hired by the Gator internet. Not a single poster would have had 2008 Dabo on the 2017 Gator coaching search list. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Then he was allowed to build a monster football program through several years of hard times. And yes, he looked competent doing it. So stop calling for Mullen’s termination after year 3 if he doesn’t win some arbitrary number of games per year. As long as he looks competent doing it.

Last edited:

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
He never would have been hired by the Gator internet. Not a single poster would have had 2008 Dabo on the 2017 Gator coaching search list. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Then he was allowed to build a monster football program through several years of hard times. And yes, he looked competent doing it. So stop calling for Mullen’s termination after year 3 if he doesn’t win some arbitrary number of games per year. If he looks competent doing it.

Here it is. We all knew this Dabo question was your thinly veiled comparison to how we should hire and treat coaches, which would include the prior complete failures. It wasn’t some independent hypothetical without an intended “moral to the story”.

Your Dabo argument is little more than a twist on the “look at this 2 Star who ended up a pro bowler, so don’t tell me (based on this 1 in 10,000 player example) that coaching and development aren’t more important”

As Donk noted, this exception proves the rule. This is particularly true in modern football where information and film is so readily available - meaning less truly undiscovered kids like the Shaq character in Blue Chips.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The point is, Dabo would not have met a single poster’s requirements for hiring at Florida. He had no head coaching experience prior to his promotion at Clemson.
This is a board creation that only exists in groupthink here. Promoting a successful coordinator is exactly many teams continue their success (ie Oklahoma).

Hiring a shytty 21-16 coach isn't.

The other "board rules" such as "you can hire a former DC" and "QBs must be 6'5" etc are equally dumb.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Here it is. We all knew this Dabo question was your thinly veiled comparison to how we should hire and treat coaches, which would include the prior complete failures. It wasn’t some independent hypothetical without an intended “moral to the story”.

Your Dabo argument is little more than a twist on the “look at this 2 Star who ended up a pro bowler, so don’t tell me (based on this 1 in 10,000 player example) that coaching and development aren’t more important”

As Donk noted, this exception proves the rule. This is particularly true in modern football where information and film is so readily available - meaning less truly undiscovered kids like the Shaq character in Blue Chips.

This post was about Mullen, not Zooker, Chimp or Butters. They were not competent and needed to be replaced. Hire somebody competent. Mullen is obviously competent. Get out of their way. Let them build a program. Provide the resources. Enjoy the wins.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Nah SoFla. You didn’t insert those three garbage coaches. First foley did, but in this thread it was the implication in the OP or the OP so closely mirrored these same Dabo arguments near the end of the Chump and Mac tenures that its hard to believe Tay didn’t know of the implication when he made the OP.

Tay didn’t. I did not lag behind Chatter consensus when those three needed to be fired. It was obvious well in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.