Dan Mullen is...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Better move that timeline back a bit-- maybe we beat the Dwags in 2021.

And you aren't just a little worried about that statement. That is more concerning than anything I have said. In 2017, an a good argument could be made that we completely outcoached the UGA staff in the game and were just out depthed and talented. In 2018, that is not an argument.

Mullen has made strides over the last two guys in several areas he deserves full credit for.. .like finally addressing the OL. No one is saying he is a bad coach, but is he a coach that you think will rise you above the teams that have same or more talent and are coached at least with a decent staff (this is Tennessee's problem). Right now that is an incomplete. As I have said since he start year 3 would be the real test, but his history shows a good to very good coach... but not a guy that is on that top tier.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You are a moron. You have spewed nothing but a bunch of negative 'ifs' yet you question others providing 'ifs' that are actually backed up with some facts. Richt recruited great and couldn't develop talent. Mullen has recruiting questions (yet they seem to be getting answered more positively than your moronic thought process can understand) but can develop talent. There is nothing Richt like about Mullen. Kirby Smart has way more incommon with Richt, dumbdumb.

Not surprised by this answer... from a guy who reads what he wants to read.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
And you aren't just a little worried about that statement. That is more concerning than anything I have said. In 2017, an a good argument could be made that we completely outcoached the UGA staff in the game and were just out depthed and talented. In 2018, that is not an argument.

Mullen has made strides over the last two guys in several areas he deserves full credit for.. .like finally addressing the OL. No one is saying he is a bad coach, but is he a coach that you think will rise you above the teams that have same or more talent and are coached at least with a decent staff (this is Tennessee's problem). Right now that is an incomplete. As I have said since he start year 3 would be the real test, but his history shows a good to very good coach... but not a guy that is on that top tier.
I think you just crawfished a little bit.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think you just crawfished a little bit.

Nope, my opinion hasn't wavered from the beginning. A average/good coach can get you 9/10 wins with our talent compared to the teams we play. It's that coach that is better than that, that will move us to where we belong. It takes a certain level of elite stupidity to get us to 4 wins, and it takes someone with more than good to get us into the real tournament.

Just for reference I consider Kirby Muschamp 2.0... a dude who can recruit but can't manage his organization. I think Mullen is by far a better X's and O's guy, which is the real issue with this years game being so inept.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Of course CDM brings real concerns. None of us are happy with where we are. But the concerns don't turn to anguish until his trend line, which is trending upward, levels off. I am not the only poster to tell you this. CDM can coach, but is not an agressive, highly successful recruiter. Those paying attention knew that from the beginning. Our hope is that incremental improvement in performance improves recruiting and recruiting improves performance. That is why tomorrow is so important. If tomorrow's class is even a little worse than last year's, we have a problem. Otherwise, relax and enjoy the drive toward dominance.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Of course CDM bribgs real concerns. None of us are happy with where we are. But the concerns don't turn to anguish until his trend line, which is trending upward, levels off. I am not the only poster to tell you this. CDM can coach,

AR, you can look back to the beginning of last season, I've being saying X's and O's wise we have the 2nd or 3rd best staff in the SEC (not a fan of our DC). So coaching isn't the issue when it comes to X's and O's.

t an agressive, highly successful recruiter. Those paying attention knew that from the beginning. Our hope is in incremental improvement well performance improves recruiting and recruiting improves performance. That is why tomorrow is so important. If tomorrow's class is even a little worse than last year's, we have a problem. Otherwise, relax and enjoy the drive toward dominance.

Recruiting and Organizational management are those concerns. Last year before the deflections we had the 9th ranked class, which is nice but clearly not good enough. This year (if things stay as their are projected) we have the 6th best class which is better but still looking up at the big boys in conference. But we are still neglecting areas we are very thin on bodies especially for SEC play (like DT). If tomorrows/early Feb class ends up like last years.

There is a difference in organizational management that comes from jumping from MSU to UF. He did alright at MSU but lets not pretend they were not calling for his job on a fairly regular basis near the end. The expectations at UF are not the expectations at MSU.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We live in a perpetual state of Catch 22 with Dan the Man at the helm. Dammed where we’d be without him, damn concerned about not beating UGA.

I’m surprised no one replied to my post about the the likelihood of an extension with zero wins over UGA. Should, WILL Stricklin hold out until after the 2020 season before he commits more to his old MSU running mate?

Or will he pick up the tab now to avoid the backlash when/if he tries to extend Mullen absent a win over our SEC arch rival?

Kind of an interesting situation.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I dont believe you are up to date. Heck, that half empty thread is back to page 4 or 5. I also think most believe dexter will be able to play next year.

We have potentially added one more that could play next year, we are still several recruiting cycles away from where we need to be. Does that make up for the zero classes and the 1 classes? Have our second 2 DT class with size in 5 years.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We live in a perpetual state of Catch 22 with Dan the Man at the helm. Dammed where we’d be without him, damn concerned about not beating UGA.

I’m surprised no one replied to my post about the the likelihood of an extension with zero wins over UGA. Should, WILL Stricklin hold out until after the 2020 season before he commits more to his old MSU running mate?

Or will he pick up the tab now to avoid the backlash when/if he tries to extend Mullen absent a win over our SEC arch rival?

Kind of an interesting situation.

He has a 6 year deal, it shouldn't be readdressed at least until the conclusion of year 4, he is a top 10 coach in pay right now. No need to address it.

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
We have potentially added one more that could play next year, we are still several recruiting cycles away from where we need to be. Does that make up for the zero classes and the 1 classes? Have our second 2 DT class with size in 5 years.
Moving the goalposts? We arent "still" neglecting the DT. We have added verbal commitments from goods, lee, dexter, brown, and are in the running for smith and pinder. Some on this board think we are taking too many. Now, if you just want to complain about the '18 class, and the '19 class I get it. Keep bitching about the past, but at least know what you are saying .

We could easily have 6 DTs next year over 285 (slaton, conliffe, dunlap, campbell, Humphreys, carter) not including this class. Or we could have 2. Just gotta wait and see. And I'd guess out of the potential guys signing more than one will play.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I’m not ready to christen DM as the next great HBC, but I sure wish the AD and UAA cronies would provide all the resources (facilities, support staff, player stipends, etc) to remove all doubt as to whether or not DM is the weak link.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Moving the goalposts? We arent "still" neglecting the DT. We have added verbal commitments from goods, lee, dexter, brown, and are in the running for smith and pinder. Some on this board think we are taking too many. Now, if you just want to complain about the '18 class, and the '19 class I get it. Keep *****ing about the past, but at least know what you are saying .

We could easily have 6 DTs next year over 285 (slaton, conliffe, dunlap, campbell, Humphreys, carter) not including this class. Or we could have 2. Just gotta wait and see. And I'd guess out of the potential guys signing more than one will play.

It's only two DTs in this class that we think can be on the field in the SEC... .so I still say still. We are playing catch up at the position, and only getting two dudes with size is still neglecting the position. Getting dudes that might pan out, might be able to gain weight and keep there ability is an issue that the previous regimes also made. So getting 2 dudes with the size to play, is still neglecting the position. If the other two guys pan out that is great, but should we getting guys that might pan out or guys we know that can play with the weight that is need to eat up that space.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
XrG1X5e.gif

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
It's only two DTs in this class that we think can be on the field in the SEC... .so I still say still. We are playing catch up at the position, and only getting two dudes with size is still neglecting the position. Getting dudes that might pan out, might be able to gain weight and keep there ability is an issue that the previous regimes also made. So getting 2 dudes with the size to play, is still neglecting the position. If the other two guys pan out that is great, but should we getting guys that might pan out or guys we know that can play with the weight that is need to eat up that space.
who are the 2 guys you think can play next year? How many true freshman DTs play in the SEC?

If you think the only way to not neglect DTs going forward is to sign guys who can play well day 1 then you are crazy or are just looking to complain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator