Dan Mullen is...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
who are the 2 guys you think can play next year? How many true freshman DTs play in the SEC?

If you think the only way to not neglect DTs going forward is to sign guys who can play well day 1 then you are crazy or are just looking to complain.

Now that I know you are being obtuse on purpose...congratulations... How many dudes are we currently recruiting around 300... or in the case of the argument I was replying to which you made 285... that would be two. Only two have the size to play. We don't know how the other two are going to do once they add the weight if they are going to be legit. The other two are 250 and 276 (according to Rivals). We don't know how their skills are going to translate if they try to add the needed weight to man the middle of the line or if they are going to get kicked outside.

I'm saying we are being neglectful in picked up dudes that are light in the ass. After having classes of:
2019 - 1 305 6'5"
2018 - 0
2017 - 2 305 6'5" & 305 6'4"
2016 - 0

Now you hope all dudes pan out and don't get injured. Currently we are rocking Slaton, Campbell, and Conliffe both Slaton and Campbell are getting a little NFL love and we don't know if they are going to leave.

Roster management is part of the job... are you saying that we are on pace with DT recruiting if we are getting to big bodied kids this year, when we could potentially be down to one big bodied DT returning? Maybe having Dunlap at (295) might help, but with three total tackles this year he will really need to step up.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Let's see, he takes a 4 win emotionally distraught team and turns them into a 10 win New Years 6 team. Then he improves on that with a ten win regular season and the Orange Bowl. This has been done with the worst facilities in the conference. He may even sniff at the top 5 in recruiting this year. Yeah you're probably right, he's Richt's illegitimate brother.
Richt did all those things. Turned around a losing team, had terrible facilities (as bad as ours preShart) but had top recruiting classes and won the SEC in his second year.

Honestly, calling Mullinz a Richt is an insult to Richt.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’m surprised no one replied to my post about the the likelihood of an extension with zero wins over UGA. Should, WILL Stricklin hold out until after the 2020 season before he commits more to his old MSU running mate?

Or will he pick up the tab now to avoid the backlash when/if he tries to extend Mullen absent a win over our SEC arch rival?

Kind of an interesting situation.
I just did, but too late, I guess.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Richt did all those things. Turned around a losing team, had terrible facilities (as bad as ours preShart) but had top recruiting classes and won the SEC in his second year.

As with a lot of your posts, only part of this is accurate (though I'm about to also feed the negative side of this post too).

Richt took over a team that had gone 10-2, 9-3, 8-4, 8-4 in the 4 years before him. Richt then went 8-4, 13-1, 11-3, 10-2, 10-2 (very much what some here are using as evidence that Mullen has us turned around, but also what I and others look at as lack of any proof either way that he is not Richt).

Also, while Richt did not have Kirby level facilities in 2000-2005, virtually no one did, including by far the biggest competition then - us & the hillbillies. But, his recruiting wasn't always some dominating effort. Rather, it never was. That is actually where the Richt narrative is most often wrong. He and Mullen so far have been similar on that front.

Rather than the idea that Richt was a great recruiter but awful coach, Richt recruited like 10-2 +/- and then coached to 10-2 +/-. Look at the results, he never had the top class in the SEC. Thus, he rarely won the SEC and never the whole thing.

Here are all of Richt's classes (look a bit familiar to this year?)
* denotes Scout/247 ratings

* 2000 - 23rd (Tenn 1, UF 2, Bama 4)
* 2001 - 10th (LSU 2, Tenn 4, Barn 7) (also first full class - the old bump class)
2002 - 3rd (Tenn 2)
2003 - 6th (LSU 1, UF 2)
2004 - 6th (LSU 2)
2005 -10th (tenn 4)
2006 - 4th (UF 2)
2007 - 9th (UF 1, UT 3, LSU 4, Barn 7)
2008 - 7th (Bama 1 - hello Saban, UF 3rd)
2009 - 6th (Bama 1, LSU 2)
2010 - 15th (UF 2, Barn 4, bama 5, LSU 6, Tenn 9)
2011 - 5th (Bama 1)
2012 - 12th (Bame 1, UF 3, Barn 10)
2013 - 12th (bama 1, UF 4, LSU 6, Barn 8)
2014 - 7th (Bama 1, Tenn 5, atm 6)
2015 - 6th (Bama 2, Tenn 5)

The other observation from here is the hillbillies really have shat the bed and drastically underused their talent.

Based on this and his record in the UF-dwags game . . .

Dan Mullen is . . . a guy who has yet to prove he is not Mark Richt, but at the same time . . .

Dan Mullen is . . . a guy that proved he can lead a program to consistently strong, non-championship, results, a lot like Mark Richt.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You have to give Mullen a third and fourth season to fully integrate his personnel with his system. If by then you aren’t seeing championship caliber results, it’s not happening, not here anyway.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You have to give Mullen a third and fourth season to fully integrate his personnel with his system. If by then you aren’t seeing championship caliber results, it’s not happening, not here anyway.

We should know the direction by year 3. He'll have three recruiting classes (2 full recruiting cycles) and three seasons on the resume. He will probably get a fourth regardless due to the admin. But three should be enough.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We should know the direction by year 3. He'll have three recruiting classes (2 full recruiting cycles) and three seasons on the resume. He will probably get a fourth regardless due to the admin. But three should be enough.

No it’s not. He’s rebuilding the brand and he runs a specialized offense. You can’t conceivably know the bottom line after three, and esp with the kind of recruiting year he’s putting together based on the program’s momentum. You’ll have a strong hint, but you want four to know for sure.

None of this matters if he suddenly bombs next season, but I don’t expect that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
None of this matters if he suddenly bombs next season, but I don’t expect that.
I always think there is no way they completely bomb. Then they completely fool me. Next year is going to be a rough year due to garbage recruiting.

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
Now that I know you are being obtuse on purpose...congratulations... How many dudes are we currently recruiting around 300... or in the case of the argument I was replying to which you made 285... that would be two. Only two have the size to play. We don't know how the other two are going to do once they add the weight if they are going to be legit. The other two are 250 and 276 (according to Rivals). We don't know how their skills are going to translate if they try to add the needed weight to man the middle of the line or if they are going to get kicked outside.

I'm saying we are being neglectful in picked up dudes that are light in the ass. After having classes of:
2019 - 1 305 6'5"
2018 - 0
2017 - 2 305 6'5" & 305 6'4"
2016 - 0

Now you hope all dudes pan out and don't get injured. Currently we are rocking Slaton, Campbell, and Conliffe both Slaton and Campbell are getting a little NFL love and we don't know if they are going to leave.

Roster management is part of the job... are you saying that we are on pace with DT recruiting if we are getting to big bodied kids this year, when we could potentially be down to one big bodied DT returning? Maybe having Dunlap at (295) might help, but with three total tackles this year he will really need to step up.
You call me obtuse simply because you are ignorant. We are currently recruiting 4 dudes that are right at 300lbs at DT. we allegedly have a good chance at 3 of them. That doesnt include dexter who just about everyone thinks will play next year outside of you. You are making statements about these guys and you don't have a good idea how much they weigh. When did rivals weight brown and dexter at 250&276?

We are currently rocking slaton, campbell, carter, dunlap, conliffe and Humphries. All those guys should be 300ish next year. We also have lang at DE I believe who should give (some) size.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I always think there is no way they completely bomb. Then they completely fool me. Next year is going to be a rough year due to garbage recruiting.

We’ll be green in a lot of key areas. That’s going to test the coaching staff.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Mullen not beating UGAy in his first two years is as meaningful as Butters beating them. i.e. it's not. Would any of you argue that Butters accomplished something by winning the east when the east was in shambles. Conversely you can't argue that it's expected for Mullen to beat UGAy when they have been a recruiting juggernaut and we have fallen so far off.
As to winning the SEC during the Saban era. We know how Meyer did - Saban made him quit coaching.
How would Spurrier do against Saban's teams. Well SOS was 3-2 against bama when they sucked. Extrapolate for yourself how he'd do against them during the dynasty.

Mullen has us in better shape than any of us good have dreamed. Despite the huge discrepancy in talent we've been competitive with UGAy - wait 'till next year :grin:. We are winning the games we should and some we shouldn't. We are now at the adult recruiting table despite some truly weak recruiters. Mullen is rebuilding the long neglected LOS. And we are now probably in that uncanny valley where facilities matter.

Next year could be very good to us.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
You said that about last year and this year. Does it ever get old incorrectly predicting the same thing over and over and waiting (hoping?) to be right? I don’t think you have predicted anything about Mullen’s time correctly.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Next year marks the senior season for Mac’s final recruiting year, where we ranked ninth. Not great, not terrible. The drop off occurred during the transitional year, when we fell to 17th, which is not unexpected.

We have a lot returning talent. We may contend for ATL but it don’t surprise me if we don’t make it. The best bet for solid Mullen success is probably year #5.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Uh huh.

How many years of getting Kirby-cucked do you think he survives?

We knew this was the risk from the get-to. I don’t need to give you an answer. You already know it. And, frankly, if it takes four or five to elevate us to truly elite, I’ll take it over starting over.

It wasn’t as though we were turnkey at the outset of his reign. We required a makeover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator