DC Patrick Toney & the Defense

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Tell Donk we miss him, but it sounds like he's still Bat$hit crazy. And tell him to lay off the Spiced Rum. That stuff is for HS girls and will rot his old Jackass brain.

So Donk thinks all our troubles are from lack of time in the wt room? From the list provided Bama's average is 307, GA 300, FL 302. Okay, big Deez skews ours to the upside. So what if you drop the upper and lower outliers? Then it's Bama 306, GA 300 FL 295. So you can see it's not as extreme as he's trying to make it seem. And if it was only about size you would just fill your D-Line with 2 star O-linemen, but talent and athleticism plays a little part as well.

And let's not forget that he's comparing us to the top 2 programs in the country. Sure, they are much better than us, but we're losing to UK, UT and LSU and by all rights should have lost to freakin' USF. Were we undersized compared to all of them? Obviously we need to upgrade the roster and it's shaping up to be a very good defensive class, but maybe somewhat unbalanced. You need 2 stud O-linemen and 4 serviceable ones ever class, and I'd like to get a stud QB every class as well. We also need major help at WR and TE.

But most importantly, even elite recruiting can't mask crap coaching. What is aTm up to now with the raise and extension, 9.5 million a year until 2031? LOL, dumbazzes. They are getting their money's worth on the recruiting trail with top 5 classes every year and even the highest rated class in FBS history I believe. That and bad coaching gets you to 3-4, last place in your division, and an embarrassing loss to App St.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone who blames all this solely on the players is outright lying. It's about 50/50 players and staff. There's just some that have wed themselves so hard to this staff that acknowledging any shortcomings is off the table.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone who blames all this solely on the players is outright lying. It's about 50/50 players and staff. There's just some that have wed themselves so hard to this staff that acknowledging any shortcomings is off the table.
You really think the Donkey has wed himself to this staff?

As for me, all coaches have shortcomings and this staff is no exception. My take has simply been that it's too early to know exactly what we have yet. Next year will tell us a lot more. In the meantime, I've been extremely happy with the tear-down and rebuild and as a result am giving them some patience I think they've earned. That patience eventually runs out.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
@oxrageous Thanks for posting Donk's take on Toney.

He's broken down what I have been trying to wrap my head around too. It is not totally all on the players, but Donk exposed what we all have been saying for years and was left to get totally out of control. What Mullen and Grantham let the program get to. Inept management of running a program, recruiting (lack thereof), and arrogance.

Simply what was left on Defense by the prior staff is indefensible. Undersized, under talented, unable to meet the standard of an SEC defense. Could Toney coach up these guys any more. I think he's doing the best he can. Seen more discipline play as far as penalties go, but there's some things you just can't correct for the inability to perform. What I do see is Toney is going to keep the scheme they have, teach it, and make it become their culture. Damned be the consequences. Heck, they're going to score anyway. There's not much more you can do with Defense until it gets a complete overhaul of players.

I've been super Critical of Torrence and Dean, rightfully so. But the about the only thing you can do with this D is load the box, and trust us to play Man. Like I said they're going to score anyway, so perhaps just stay aggressive as you can with a passive defense. There is really nothing to lose and maybe the younger players are getting a jump on getting used to the system. Not to mention that the recruits are being fit based on this system and where they can contribute and perhaps right away.

We all know that Toney is going nowhere this year and I've already stated this staff gets a pass from me this year with the shyt show they inherited. I am hoping for the success he's had at improving his last defense and honestly we have nowhere to go but up.

Great read on Donk's take. Tell him THANKS!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Napier's unbelievably aggressive offensive game plan against UT told you all you needed to know about what he thought of the ability of the defense to stop them. It was unflattering, that's for sure.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018

As for me, all coaches have shortcomings and this staff is no exception. My take has simply been that it's too early to know exactly what we have yet. Next year will tell us a lot more. In the meantime, I've been extremely happy with the tear-down and rebuild and as a result am giving them some patience I think they've earned. That patience eventually runs out.
The obvious question, will Napier trim those with "shortcomings"?
Staff and players.

Players need to step up and be held accountable. Napier needs to get on their asses. Enough of this crap. Did anyone watch South Carolina Pounce all over A&M last night with their 2 and 3 star roster?
Passion, Fire, hard hitting , just want to win the damn game, football. Beamer has them playing at a high level right now. They're Kentucky level talent.
Rattler, For some reason has regressed to a very mediocre QB.

I think we have a locker room full of guys that want to win but lack the fortitude to do what's necessary to actually compete for 60 minutes. Not just go out there and go through the motions for 30 plays then drag ass for another 20. It's a 60 minute game, Bust your ass for 60 minutes or take a seat on the bench.

I also think we have the same thing going on in our staff. Whether it's complacency or outright incompetence, there needs to be some house cleaning. If the Defensive scheme isn't working with our current players, then by God, it's the head coaches job to make some damn changes.
Is that Firing a coach or just tweaking the scheme?
First year coaching staff trying to mesh as a cohesive unit. I hope there's not some behind the scenes dissension on the staff, primarily thinking defense here. I can't imagine Raymond is happy with the scheme and how he's being asked to coach up the DB's.

I'm really hoping we see some leaps on both sides of the ball next weekend.
I'm under no delusion that we are going to beat Ga.
It would be nice though, to come out well prepared, fired up for 60 minutes, never quit and keep that game within 1 score.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I don't twitter, but I clicked a twitter post embedded in a click bait article the other day and saw a post responding to it from:

DonkeyDonk(LawGator)@Swampdonk98

I just looked that up, I don't even remember what the original post was about, or the click bait article. Personally I liked his posts and miss them. Even if I didn't agree with a take, it kept things interesting. And I was probably on the same page more often than not.
I'm with you brother, personally, swonkey was my favorite poster!

Then @oxrageous :headbang:

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018

QFT.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve decided that SwampNuts and I are pals after all. Egor helped me see the light with some tough love.
bitch slap slapping GIF

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I think we have a locker room full of guys that want to win but lack the fortitude to do what's necessary to actually compete for 60 minutes. Not just go out there and go through the motions for 30 plays then drag ass for another 20. It's a 60 minute game, Bust your ass for 60 minutes or take a seat on the bench.
This is a great point that I could never quite put my finger on. Mullens teams were notorious for this over the last 4 years. They would normally come out and put together a decent drive or 2 on both offense and defense.....then just take the next 2.5 or 3 quarters off....didn't matter if it was UGA or Vandy we fell into this pattern almost every single game. The bad news is I see the same thing this year.....we come out and usually have a decent 1st and 2nd drives then crickets until the late 3rd or 4th quarter.
This needs to be dealt with sooner than later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator