Dear Ben

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Working on merit badges apparently

Absolutely . This staff is absolutely locked in and focused on the most crucial factors that form a great team. I’m expecting an amazing performance Saturday night .

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Yep, they are professional mercenaries! BN is trying to mold a team based on the learnings he took form his HS coach dad. As much as I respect the high character threshold he is administering and the positive result that many of these young men will benefit from it does not fit in the current format of college football. They should not even have to enroll in classes, just show up, work out and ball out! It's a farce to call them student athletes. Yet, none of this matters as BN and staff have not shown they can coach em up. It has become another shyt show. I gave up my tickets for FSU today. I'm done spending a dime on this product.

Here we go again. Some genius arguing to turn college sports into a semi-pro sport. If that's how you see it, just go watch the NFL.

I know that NIL and other things are ruining college football. But for Pete's sake don't advocate for the entire destruction of college sports, argue for things that will save it.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Here we go again. Some genius arguing to turn college sports into a semi-pro sport. If that's how you see it, just go watch the NFL.

I know that NIL and other things are ruining college football. But for Pete's sake don't advocate for the entire destruction of college sports, argue for things that will save it.
LOL, the train has left the station and anyone pining for a return to the days of players strapping it on for the glory of the O&B is on a fools errand. Go ahead, try and put the cat back in the bag. BTW there is nothing semi-pro about the current state and it's path forward just look at the consolidation among the top tier conferences if you want to understand.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
I have never yelled at my tv so much as when Percy was a freshman telling him to quit jogging while leaving everyone on the field in his dust.

Never saw a player before or after just so effortlessly run and be so damn fast looking like he was out for an afternoon jog.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
LOL, the train has left the station and anyone pining for a return to the days of players strapping it on for the glory of the O&B is on a fools errand. Go ahead, try and put the cat back in the bag. BTW there is nothing semi-pro about the current state and it's path forward just look at the consolidation among the top tier conferences if you want to understand.
You may be right. But if the path continues, I will quit watching.

And I'm still baffled by people who are so giddy about the professionalization of college football? And your posts do seem rather giddy.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019

And I'm still baffled by people who are so giddy about the professionalization of college football? And your posts do seem rather giddy.
Not giddy at all just a pragmatic take on where it is and where it is going. It isn't going to revert to some bygone era, that is for sure. I'm at the same place as you regarding my interest and future support. I just gave up my tickets for the FSU game and have no intention of buying tickets next season. I don't like the NFL for a lot of the same reasons I'm slow walking away from college football.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I absolutely hate what has happened and continues to happen with college sports but I realize that I can’t stop the change from happening and I can already see a day when I will no longer be able to watch.

I have considered high school football as a potential alternative but game attendance in Gainesville can be a risky proposition these days so I am stuck.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
You're right... a lot of these kids today are making more than Arena league (maybe even CFL!) players could have ever dreamed of! Nothing semi-pro about it, at all.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I absolutely hate what has happened and continues to happen with college sports but I realize that I can’t stop the change from happening and I can already see a day when I will no longer be able to watch.

I have considered high school football as a potential alternative but game attendance in Gainesville can be a risky proposition these days so I am stuck.
I have been riding the HS train for several years now, of course I live in Lakeland, past Dreadnaught, and it's easy peasy to follow a proven winner. Will be at the round 2 playoff game against Bartow tonight.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
What if there's a revolution happening in college athletics, where more "prominent" academics schools are willing to end the charade of college football having anything to do with college and return to actual "student athletes."

In that regard, the Napier hire makes perfect sense. Leave all that semi pro stuff to less serious schools and place an emphasis on academics.

I'm not totally against that. Let the UGA's and Bama's play that game where they pretend their football players are college students.

Here's how naive I was, many years ago I remember watching Cadillac Williams being interviewed after a win and this guy was really attempting to speak English with all his might. I was baffled because I kept thinking, "this guy is a college graduate!" Once I got to college a few years later, I realized I had been hoodwinked and bamboozled.

Angry Denzel Washington GIF

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
What if there's a revolution happening in college athletics, where more "prominent" academics schools are willing to end the charade of college football having anything to do with college and return to actual "student athletes."

In that regard, the Napier hire makes perfect sense. Leave all that semi pro stuff to less serious schools and place an emphasis on academics.

I'm not totally against that. Let the UGA's and Bama's play that game where they pretend their football players are college students.

Here's how naive I was, many years ago I remember watching Cadillac Williams being interviewed after a win and this guy was really attempting to speak English with all his might. I was baffled because I kept thinking, "this guy is a college graduate!" Once I got to college a few years later, I realized I had been hoodwinked and bamboozled.

Angry Denzel Washington GIF
I've told my "Amp Lee from FSU" story several times over the years.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
that guy had the intelligence quotient of a turnip.
Here's the quick Amp Lee story:
  • guy that lived across the hall from us in Gatorwood had a friend, and the friend told us this story in person.
  • He was a grad student/TA at FSU, had Amp in his class.
  • Amp was absolutely functionally illiterate.
  • This guy's tests were short answer to a question.
  • Amp would try to write schit he had memorized, whether it matched the question or not. It was gibberish.
  • Guy wanted to fail him, he was warned not to. Gave him a D, the D was changed to a C.
  • Guy transferred to UF to finish grad school/his PhD.
  • Amp became a millionaire and caught Joe Montana's final TD pass.
  • Don't know what the fuk became of PhD guy.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Here's the quick Amp Lee story:
  • guy that lived across the hall from us in Gatorwood had a friend, and the friend told us this story in person.
  • He was a grad student/TA at FSU, had Amp in his class.
  • Amp was absolutely functionally illiterate.
  • This guy's tests were short answer to a question.
  • Amp would try to write schit he had memorized, whether it matched the question or not. It was gibberish.
  • Guy wanted to fail him, he was warned not to. Gave him a D, the D was changed to a C.
  • Guy transferred to UF to finish grad school/his PhD.
  • Amp became a millionaire and caught Joe Montana's final TD pass.
  • Don't know what the fuk became of PhD guy.
no surprise at all. half of fsu football team under booby any given year couldnt read past a 1st grade level.

i know i posted years ago, but did i ever tell you my Ed O story? It's hilarious.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
He's probably homeless in San Francisco. How do you start a Ph.D. at F$U. Most of us Ph.D. types end up homeless in Frisco anyway.
:lol: In fairness, I think he transferred to UF to do his PhD after grad school at FSU, but I got the impression he was persona non grata in his department at FSU.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
:dunno:

My "Give a crap meter" stopped working long ago.

I just can't see any change until after year 3...... But I don't know anything...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator