Did Grier do enough to claim the job?

JohnCoctostan

Oct 27, 2014
Law98gator;n282108 said:
Defenses respect the pass more w Grier. Grier showed he can run. Treon can pass also, that part is overplayed too. Treon actually throws a better long ball especially seam routes. Grier imo is better at the short stuff, quicker at getting g the ball out, and better at reading defenses and his progressions.

Treon has played SEC games. Grier hasn't. I guess Mac thought it was important to get him game time to see if he can adjust. It takes time for the game to slow down for a player.

I wonder why we were playing an injured and turnover prone (at this point) Qb late in a close game but I'm not a Qb guru who has seen all the practices. Maybe we are trying to help him make that adjustment.

This is how I see it too. I see a lot of potential in Grier but it has to be developed. His tendency to turn it over is going to get us beat if he doesn't stop forcing things.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n281874 said:
Let's also remember that Wuerffel and Leak both had ugly wins on the road at Kentucky their freshman seasons. Not saying Grier will be on their levels, but let's remember that a freshman on the road won't always light the world on fire.

For that matter, I watched a little bit of the 1st half of the '95 ut game, and even as a JR, Wuerffel was still forcing things into coverage at times, with a terrible INT and one more that would've killed a critical drive at the end of the half. It's what QBs do. I think the last 4 years have fried our brains to the point of thinking differently when it comes to QBs and offense in general. Sometimes you take risks, and sometimes you make mistakes. It's ok.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n282683 said:
For that matter, I watched a little bit of the 1st half of the '95 ut game, and even as a JR, Wuerffel was still forcing things into coverage at times, with a terrible INT and one more that would've killed a critical drive at the end of the half. It's what QBs do. I think the last 4 years have fried our brains to the point of thinking differently when it comes to QBs and offense in general. Sometimes you take risks, and sometimes you make mistakes. It's ok.

Absolutely. It seems that an interception, ANY interception, causes some here to throw their hands up and demand a QB change. Spurrier teams threw tons of interceptions. It's risk reward.

To me, Grier has what it takes to be among the best QBs we've had a Florida. If given the time by the o-line I think his development will come along very quickly. What I fear is that bad o-line pass protection will condition him, like it's conditioned our QB's since Brantley, to think escape before thinking to survey the field. It's the QB version of "the yips".

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.