Dinner time

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Since it sounds like you are not happy about who’s coming, call them and cancel. Them PM me directions and your beverage preferences. I can be on the road in about 5 minutes.

It does look very good. But I honestly feel like it’s all about to slide off the grill to the left. I’d just hate for you to make the drive and then that, you know?

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
It does look very good. But I honestly feel like it’s all about to slide off the grill to the left. I’d just hate for you to make the drive and then that, you know?
I see what you’re really doing here and there’s no need for that kind of thing. There’s plenty for you too and I’ll pick you up on the way.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Many times you can just stir the old coals and light it up. That's what I did on the chops.
How is the egg different than a charcoal grill? I also thought it was more like a smoker, where you’re committed to smoking all day long. Must admit, I’m interested knowing it’s not an ordeal.

My brother in law invested in a Green Mountain smart smoker. It’s a pellet smoker that he can control from his phone. He inserts a meat thermometer, and can control the heat ffron anywhere in the world. He makes a mean brisket with it. He better for the $1,200 it costs.

I wanted to get the smart smoker, but the egg may be the better, and cheaper, way to go.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
How is the egg different than a charcoal grill? I also thought it was more like a smoker, where you’re committed to smoking all day long. Must admit, I’m interested knowing it’s not an ordeal.

My brother in law invested in a Green Mountain smart smoker. It’s a pellet smoker that he can control from his phone. He inserts a meat thermometer, and can control the heat ffron anywhere in the world. He makes a mean brisket with it. He better for the $1,200 it costs.

I wanted to get the smart smoker, but the egg may be the better, and cheaper, way to go.
I don't know about cheaper, an egg fairly expensive. You have a "plate setter" with your egg. Bottom side down it is a smoker. Bottom side up it bakes. Take it out it is a grill. This allows you to cook just about any way you want. You can cook with temperatures from 200 to 600 degrees F. It amazingly holds the temperature once the coals are going and you have the set the ventilation. You can go about your business and check occasionally ( temp shouldn't be varied 5-10 degrees either way). My preference is a large. The cook book that comes with it is helpful getting started. Once you're used to it let your imagination be your guide!

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I don't know about cheaper, an egg fairly expensive. You have a "plate setter" with your egg. Bottom side down it is a smoker. Bottom side up it bakes. Take it out it is a grill. This allows you to cook just about any way you want. You can cook with temperatures from 200 to 600 degrees F. It amazingly holds the temperature once the coals are going and you have the set the ventilation. You can go about your business and check occasionally ( temp shouldn't be varied 5-10 degrees either way). My preference is a large. The cook book that comes with it is helpful getting started. Once you're used to it let your imagination be your guide!
@Alumni Guy the other big difference is the wood. In your garden variety charcoal grill one uses brickettes. They totally burn out after being light and one cooks over them once the coals turn white or gray. Big Green Eggs (and the Kamado Joe) use lump charcoal which will get extinguished once the airflow into the Egg is closed off and can be re-ignited for the next cook and you start your cook based on stabilized temp and are still cooking over red hot coals or even flame.
Additionally, the brickettes have various chemicals in them which negatively affect the flavor of the meat. The lump is a cleaner burn. It’s also usually only hardwoods like oak and hickory.
I never tried lump in a standard charcoal grill.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I prefer lump coal when cooking on a coal i.e. campsite. Royal lump is good.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I prefer lump coal when cooking on a coal i.e. campsite. Royal lump is good.
Royal Oak? It’s not bad, but the premium stuff is better (Green Egg, Fogo, etc). Sadly it is more than 50% more the price. The premium is easier to light though and tends to be more of the bigger chunks.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Royal Oak? It’s not bad, but the premium stuff is better (Green Egg, Fogo, etc). Sadly it is more than 50% more the price. The premium is easier to light though and tends to be more of the bigger chunks.
Did you miss the part I said about camping?

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Bigger chunks are better in the Egg. Some brands of lump have way too much "gravel" ( tiny peaces of coal) in the bottom. Over several cookings that builds up and forms a bed in the bottom which obstructs air flow. That is the time to cook burgers or smoke chops, then leave the lid open and completely burn the coals out.

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Bigger chunks are better in the Egg. Some brands of lump have way too much "gravel" ( tiny peaces of coal) in the bottom. Over several cookings that builds up and forms a bed in the bottom which obstructs air flow. That is the time to cook burgers or smoke chops, then leave the ild open and completely burn the coals out.
Great point!

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Ham hock & beans.

You need cornbread and a slice of Vidallia onion, great meal!

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You need cornbread and a slice of Vidallia onion, great meal!
Wife had white onion on top of hers. I don't like raw onions at all and we don't get vidallias out here.

We were raised with in on a slice of white bread, which it's smothering in that picture. Ooey gooey white bread that sticks to the top of your mouth.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
IMG_0299.JPG IMG_0303.JPG

Prebirthday brunch in metroAtlanta at The Canoe Restaurant in Vinings, Ga with good wife, youngest daughter and her family ( grandkids are good and rowdy thanks to me).

Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict and a Popcorn Sundae.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Wife went full southern and made a roasted bbq pork last night, with a white wine vinegar slaw that her mom makes. Super light and cuts the pork really well.

upload_2022-2-27_20-44-54.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.