Disappointing Signing Day

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Unfortunately for us this was a perfect storm for us to have a "down" (thats in quotes for a reason) year in recruiting. In a what have you done for me lately world we lost our last 3 games in a bad fashion, half ass u is the hot team in the state right now, Miami just made a big time hire in Richt who will start to keep south Florida talent at home, and it was a down year in the state and nation wide from a top talent standpoint. The one area that needs to be addressed is the defensive backfield. There was good talent in the state and we whiffed, but that was because Callahan was a crap recruiter, so good riddance. 247 has been hinting today that a hire will be made public soon and it ought to be a good one. I like the lb's we got. Reese has the size and ability to contribute early and Joseph and Moon are gonna be fun to watch when they fill out. I am super excited about this wr class. On paper they could be the best since Green, Hilliard, McGriff, and Anthony in '94. At qb we got a guy with all the talent in the world in Franks, and even though Trask is a relative unknown his measurables are what you look for in a qb and he flashes a talented arm on his film. I will trust Mac and Nuss' qb evaluation on Trask. As far as kicking goes can't argue with stealing the best one in the country from Saban. O line was a disappointment, but that has a little to do with the talent being down in the state. All in all I think we addressed our most pressing needs and saved some schollys for a massive class next year when the state talent looks to be much better.

Oh god...another perfect storm. That's all I heard about Muschamp's 4-8 season.

We have too many perfect storms around here.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not concerned with anyone other than us. What they can, or can't, do with their recruits is not something we can control. With a high school caliber offense this past year we wipe the floor with almost everyone we played. So, I'm only interested in what WE do to solve that problem.

Why were we in most games? The defense. Well, that's gonna take a hit.

And you NEED to be worried about FSU. They are wiping the floor with Mac. It is this "everything is ok" attitude that got us here. We're FLORIDA. Everything is fine. Muschamp is fine. He just needs one more year. Mac will get em next year. Been saying that stupid **** for years.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Well...I guess it could have been worse. Hard for me to feel excited about the results, doesn't seem like we know how to close. Kirby Smart out-recruiting us says a lot IMHO.

2ndAmend

Oct 3, 2014
The thing that concerns me a little is that out of the top 50 players in Florida. UF signed 4. FSU signed 8 and Miami signed 10. We are not winning the state battle when we brought coaches in specifically to recruit the state.

Bingo! As Mr. Ox noted earlier in the chatterbox, UF should always be in the top 10 in recruiting.

Last edited:

2ndAmend

Oct 3, 2014
3d61745fe641c15357292866f4e5df28.jpg

That's the same lucky dude who used to knock the bottom of that thang when Angelina Jolie was in her prime.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2016

Fell to 14th. Ouch. And Harbaugh sucks...yeah right.

This is what stands out to me. This is what we rank in quality of player. Not quantity.

1 Alabama 3.83
2 Ohio State 3.79
3 Georgia 3.75
4 USC 3.75
5 Florida State 3.72
6 Auburn 3.62
7 Michigan 3.61
8 Clemson 3.59
9 Mississippi 3.58
10 Notre Dame 3.57
11 LSU 3.57
12 Tennessee 3.52
13 Michigan State 3.50
14 Texas 3.50
15 Texas A&M 3.48
16 Baylor 3.41
17Oklahoma 3.37
18 Florida 3.36

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Kirby Smart walked into a better situation and also brings over people who he was recruiting and had relationships with at Alabama. Recruiting is as much about Relationships as it is the School. Our Coaching staff has one full year of relationships with this region. Kirby Smart has been at Alabama for how long, developing those relationships and also Richt was putting together a very good class before he was let go. Richt was able to keep Miami players in Miami, that do me is on Shannon. Miami is his area, we should have done better there. We don't know the Callahan bs, but other than being a questionable coach apparently a bad recruiter. Our staff needs to develop relationships, relationships with the school that in some cases were damaged by Meyer (the way he left/promises he made) and Muschamp. This is a rebuild, not a fixer upper. The class is disappointing, but there is context to it. It's up to coach to fix those relationships, and complete for championships.

The ranking on NSD doesn't bother me as much as the ranking after the National Title game. We should be in the top 10 after the national title game consistently.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
This is what stands out to me. This is what we rank in quality of player. Not quantity.

1 Alabama 3.83
2 Ohio State 3.79
3 Georgia 3.75
4 USC 3.75
5 Florida State 3.72
6 Auburn 3.62
7 Michigan 3.61
8 Clemson 3.59
9 Mississippi 3.58
10 Notre Dame 3.57
11 LSU 3.57
12 Tennessee 3.52
13 Michigan State 3.50
14 Texas 3.50
15 Texas A&M 3.48
16 Baylor 3.41
17Oklahoma 3.37
18 Florida 3.36

Solid class. This was an average class and possible BELOW average for Florida over the last 20+ years. I think Foley underestimated the hold FSU has on the state and maybe should've swung for a bigger splash name. We're getting our asses kicked. Anyone know if Jake Allen has been a life long Gator fan much like Eason was a Dawg?

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

1 Alabama 3.83
2 Ohio State 3.79
3 Georgia 3.75
4 USC 3.75
5 Florida State 3.72
6 Auburn 3.62
7 Michigan 3.61
8 Clemson 3.59
9 Mississippi 3.58
10 Notre Dame 3.57
11 LSU 3.57
12 Tennessee 3.52
13 Michigan State 3.50
14 Texas 3.50
15 Texas A&M 3.48
16 Baylor 3.41
17Oklahoma 3.37
18 Florida 3.36
This one way to look at it. But there is a reason the services only count the top 20 recruits. For example, taking a 3 star kicker doesn't hurt your ranking. We had a lot of roster spots to fill, so that naturally means that you're average stars are going to go down. When you think about it, there are only about 50 players on a team that really contribute, that's an average of about 10 per recruiting class. What's most important is how good are the the top 10-12 guys. That's why Clemson was in the title game despite averaging around 10th in recruiting over the last 4-5 years. They picked the right guys.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
the services only count the top 20 recruits.

For example, taking a 3 star kicker doesn't hurt your ranking. We had a lot of roster spots to fill, so that naturally means that you're average stars are going to go down.

These statements don't jive. If they only take the avg of the top 20 and you have a low star ranking that means you took TOO many three stars in your class.

MOST THREE STARS EVER IN ANY TWO YEAR PERIOD.

Clemson's QB was a five star coming out of HS. He was a huge reason they made the title game.

Gatorhunter

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Saw this interesting snippet on the book of faces today. No need to verify the accuracy since I read it on the interwebs. So at least we've got a shot.

"10 of the last 11 National Champs(Auburn and Cam is the lone exception) have had at least 2 top 10 recruiting classes in the 4 years prior to their title. So based on that trend, next year's winner will come from these schools.

4 top ten classes: Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State, Auburn, and LSU

3 top ten classes: Georgia

2 top ten classes: Tennessee, Michigan, Texas A&M, USC, Florida, Clemson, Ole Miss, Notre Dame"

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not disappointed at all. I believe we've addressed the immediate needs just fine & this will prove to be a great base for Mac to build on. Lot's of kids already on campus will pay big dividends this fall.
That's not correct. FSU had better talent than we did during most of the 90's and even into the early 2000's and it really wasn't that close. Alabama probably had more talent than us consistently throughout most of the 90's. Tennessee was pretty loaded during the 90's, probably not better talent than us but most likely our equal.

As far as not having 2 bad years recruiting in a row, I guess that depends on how you define bad (i.e.- finishing outside the top 10 in recruiting, top 20, etc.?).

I think the recruits that Spurrier/Zook brought in for those 95/96 teams were rated as high or maybe slightly better than FSU's but you are right even during the Spurrier years FSU would beat us out in recruiting usually.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
These statements don't jive. If they only take the avg of the top 20 and you have a low star ranking that means you took TOO many three stars in your class.

MOST THREE STARS EVER IN ANY TWO YEAR PERIOD.

Clemson's QB was a five star coming out of HS. He was a huge reason they made the title game.

T REX said:
Don't worry I will be posting a lot less...

:lies::lies::lies:

What gives?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I think the recruits that Spurrier/Zook brought in for those 95/96 teams were rated as high or maybe slightly better than FSU's but you are right even during the Spurrier years FSU would beat us out in recruiting usually.
Bowden and jimbob are as dirty on the trail as they are during football season, and its no secret lots of money changes hands in the spring. It's always hard to compete with $$$ when you are recruiting from a pool largely made up of poor and semi uneducated kids from broken homes, not to mention the difference in academic standards. Cant qualify at UF... fsu and um are ready with open arms...

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

Here is a good link for you to check out. As you can see, FSU is consistently ranked higher than us for that 10 year or so time frame.

Believe it or not, one of the rating guys didn't even have our 96 class ranked in his top 10. Our 2000 class was ranked #1 by both these guys. Remember Brock Berlin and the "Berlin Wall" O-Line recruits? Berlin didn't work out too well for us. Just goes to show that class rankings in and of themselves don't always equate to titles and recruiting rankings are as much or more of an art than a science.

http://searnfootballforum.yuku.com/topic/4620#.VrOCqvA8KrX

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Following me from thread to thread is causing me to rethink what I said.

Btw, I never said when. But don't worry lil fella. It will happen soon enough.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Bowden and jimbob are as dirty on the trail as they are during football season, and its no secret lots of money changes hands in the spring. It's always hard to compete with $$$ when you are recruiting from a pool largely made up of poor and semi uneducated kids from broken homes, not to mention the difference in academic standards. Cant qualify at UF... fsu and um are ready with open arms...

Isn't our a Saban disciple? Wouldn't out guy know what's going on and recruit accordingly?

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Hey Gators...turn that frown upside down
It takes 17 muscles to smile and 43 to frown.

We have a decent offense coming up in the fall and that will win us some games - the type that we shoulda/coulda won this year.
More points = more wins = better recruiting in 2017.

What really annoys the hell out of me is the
clown-fantasy-football-helmet.jpg
raking in about 18 four stars...and WTF? Georgia and Auburn?

Let's prove it on the field next year and things will take care of themselves naturally.
A new and glorious morn. Things look better and diddy is the first realize why. Defense does win championships, but what we needed this year is offense. When the recruits see offense, the defensive players will also come. QBs...A, RBs ..B+, WRs...A+, O-line...C-. Two good OLs and this would be the best offense recruited. DT can be fixed, LB is a problem, CB meh

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.