Does Urban Meyer Deserve a Spot on the Ring of Honor?

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No.

I know this opinion won't be popular, but the lawless sh*tshow of entitlement he put together for those wins disgusts me.

I spent three decades castigating Bowden for putting up with felons in the name of winning, and what did we end up with? A freakin' serial murderer and an endless series of drug-addled woman-beaters.

No thanks.

Hard to argue with this - it is what it is.

But..............

Yes, of course.

But wait a bit.

Alex.

ADG nailed it. It's the world we live in. Trophies matter.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
I am fine with Urban going into the Ring, however I would prefer it be after he is FINALLY retired, to spend time with his family, or otherwise. Urban has probably at least 2 more programs to win and tarnish before he is done (a lot of the bigwigs at USC are currently drooling over him). I realize Spurrier was still coaching at South Carolina when he went in the Ring, but he truly is a special case. Spurrier bleeds Orange and Blue and qualified for the Ring for more than just his years as the HBC (Heisman).

Urban was our coach. He was extremely successful. When everyone knows he is officially done coaching, put him in. Until then, let him go bask in the sun at USC, or freeze his ass off in South Bend. Either way, he will be in the Ring some day.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
He was not doing anything different being done in Athen or Knoxville or Tuscaloosa or Baton Rouge
Amen ...but we trashed the poor guy. Then Gaylon

Don't forget USC, tOSU, Mich, and OK...talk about slime.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Put it up tomorrow. He friggin earned his spot in Gator history!
Jilted lovers want to wait until they can try and get the picture of him with that other hot girl out of their fragile little minds. :lol:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Was the consensus All-America criterion in place at the outset or was it added to enable Marshall to get in? I don't remember.

You would have thought he'd be in right away if it was.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
According to the article, Tebow wasn't eligible until 2015. It says you must also be five years removed from the program.

Side note, it also says you must be in “good standing” with the university, the definition of which is purposely ambiguous. Maybe there's still some hard feelings in the admin department. :dunno:
Oh yeah, forgot about the five year thing. :headslap:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not a chance Meyer's standing with the athletic department is at issue. If it is, the athletic department is itself complicit in the same issue.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You don't want to give him any credit for Tim Tebow? Tebow was really close to going to bama and may have if not for Meyer.

Yes, Meyer should be in the ring of honor. He didn't leave the school on Probation or with a lack of talent. He isn't responsible for people's actions after he coached them. He even gave Foley a full year to hire his replacement. Everyone loves to blame Meyer for the last decade, but all signs point to Foley for that.

Sure I give him credit for Tebow. I don't think that is enough to make up for the others. Just my opinion.

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
He brought us the best of times, then left us with the worst of times. He said we were the Top of the Mountain, then said he wouldn’t let his son go to UF because it was so bad. I’m still convinced he left knowing he would be coaching at OSU within 2 years and didn’t have the stomach to face Saban again as well as clean up the “broken program” he created. That being said, I forgave Spurrier for trying to knock us out of the SEC title game every year, and damn near keeping us from winning our second NC if it wasn’t for The Cock Block, and am damn glad he is back home where he belongs. When he retires for good, he has earned it. I’m not sure he deserves it because of how he trashed us after he left but he has earned it. Maybe after he retires from his dream job leading The Irish..

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Probably. Those years were awesome and what he accomplished can't be denied. I'm just not like some of you about it. It's not a wet spot for me.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
:what2:

I was just saying I forgot about having to be removed from the program for five years. Didn’t say anything about in good standing. Drink less coffee, friend.
Understood...you did not...I did.

I don't know...is Urbs in good standing?

Cam Newton was not...is he now?

And I am just asking...UF is far more left then when I graduated...I don't know?

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Not until we are sure he won't be back in some official capacity with another school. I wonder if he is still being paid by OSU. Otherwise if he meets the criteria I would have no problem with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator