Does Urban Meyer Deserve a Spot on the Ring of Honor?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I mean if we’re going by the criteria set forth by the university, yes. I don’t think it’ll happen any time soon, though.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I mean if we’re going by the criteria set forth by the university, yes. I don’t think it’ll happen any time soon, though.
You're the third or fourth person in this thread who has speculated or called for it.

Perhaps I'm being thick skulled, but I don't get why there needs to be a delay. The requisite deeds have been set in concrete for over a decade.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
You're the third or fourth person in this thread who has speculated or called for it.

Perhaps I'm being thick skulled, but I don't get why there needs to be a delay. The requisite deeds have been set in concrete for over a decade.
He's not done coaching, true Spurrier wasn't either but that was different, no way to make him wait on that, but they did make him wait on naming the stadium.

Putting Urbie in the ring and then he brings his undefeated team to town would just be annoying.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I agree with other poster(s) that say he deserves a spot but the timing is the issue. Do we put him in now only to risk seeing him strolling the sidelines as HC of another team?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He's not done coaching, true Spurrier wasn't either but that was different, no way to make him wait on that, but they did make him wait on naming the stadium.

Putting Urbie in the ring and then he brings his undefeated team to town would just be annoying.
That would have to be another SEC team. Now the discussion reaches the point where it goes circular. I cannot see Meyer going to any other SEC team than Florida.

Even if not, he's earned it. I don't get hung up by those things. Play football. See what happens. Embrace the drama.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I think time is his friend in this case. Keep in mind, no one outside of a portion of Gator Nation even knows about the parameters. So it's not as if we're opening ourselves up to any criticism. It's completely an in-house thing.

I think the delay would help in that the perception changes about him. Assuming he actually stays retired, that would go a long way in that regard. But I also think it gives us time to reestablish ourselves, potentially even winning another title (hopefully with Mullen). Should that happen, I think the perception of him leaving us to flail in the wind will dissipate. To me that's always been the true knock. Forget the story and questions surrounding his departure. It was the fact that we landed a moron after he left and fell to fresh lows, while he was winning with someone else. Like any relationship, once we have our own life in order again, there won't be the same level of resentment that still persists with some because we'll actually be happy with who have.

So, personally, I'd like to see us do it after we return to form, ideally post a NC. If nothing else, it will help the reception he gets, which helps our image. Any lukewarm to bad reaction from fans would make a public spectacle that would detail much of the logic in this thread and paint UF in a bad light.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Depends on what UF says the Ring of Honor means?

If it is for Honorable Football...absolutely yes...there are few college coaches as good as he is/was

If it's for being an Honorable Person...I say no but I'm old school. Urban looks out for Urban.

And if its results...what about Pell? He built FL.

That said...Urban is truly a great football mind.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

Tebow was eligible since 2007 and didn’t make it in until 2018. Give Urban three times as long to think about it.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Tebow was eligible since 2007 and didn’t make it in until 2018. Give Urban three times as long to think about it.
2043? His esophagus will be enshrined in the Smithsonian by then.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Sure he does. Any Gator fan knows what Urb. did at Florida was perhaps unmatched by even the Great SOS.
Do I want him back? Hell no. But he deserves a spot in the R.O.H. for his work as a Gator.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
FWIW

Heisman Trophy Winners

Former UF All-Americans Inducted into NFL Hall of Fame for Accomplishments as Players

Former UF All-Americans Who Are NFL Career Category Leaders

Collegiate Career Category Leaders

Coaches with UF National Championships

Coaches with at least 3 UF SEC Championships

Players with 2 or more consensus All-American honors (AP, Walter Camp, Sporting News, AFCA, FWAA, UPI) who have also been named National Offensive/Defensive Players of Year (AP, Walter Camp, Sporting News, ABC, AFCA, FWAA, UPI)

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
He was at the Miami game in Gator gear, perhaps it’s already being considered. I’m sure if Spurrier came out and said he needed to be in the ROH, most of the naysayers would soften their stance.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Give em Hell, Pell.............he gave us a glimpse of what could be..........His players were mostly fla boys and many local.......

And the best money can buy.

But HE got us our FIRST SEC

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

According to the article, Tebow wasn't eligible until 2015. It says you must also be five years removed from the program.

Side note, it also says you must be in “good standing” with the university, the definition of which is purposely ambiguous. Maybe there's still some hard feelings in the admin department. :dunno:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
According to the article, Tebow wasn't eligible until 2015. It says you must also be five years removed from the program.

Side note, it also says you must be in “good standing” with the university, the definition of which is purposely ambiguous. Maybe there's still some hard feelings in the admin department. :dunno:
UAA probably despises the fact that he showed we could compete with the best but they had to invest to stay there. Scuttles plans for the water polo team’s $25M exclusive pool facility.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yes.

But only after he is definitely finished coaching. Definitely finished.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator