Dusty Rhodes Dead

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Dusty was one of my favorites growing up. Tony Atlas, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Captain Lou Albano, Jimmy Superfly Snuka, The Orndorf's, The British Bulldogs, Abdullah the Butcher, Mick Foley, Ahh, those were the good ol' days of wrestling. RIP

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n233610 said:
RIP Dusty. Wasn't he the one with the "bionic elbow" label? Hard to keep them all straight. Especially from way back then!
yes he was!!!

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone remember "Championship Wrestling from FL" with Gordon Solie?? Gawd, what a long time ago. RIP DR, you were one of my favorites. Brisco Brother, Mike Graham, Steve Kern, The Sheepherders. WOW

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Cutting a promo back then with no script was essential to helping to fill arenas. Flair and Rhodes were the masters of the craft......

Rith-key bith-ness. RIP.....

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
Double Gator Dad;n233645 said:
I am with you Vulcan. I remember he and Murdock as well. Dusty just never made a good heel, he was way too personable.

Championship Wrestling from Florida with Gordon Solie was the apex of wrestling. Once it went national instead of regional, it lost it's charm

So true!

And WHOOOOH!

R.I.P. Dusty.

Phineus Maximus

Founding Member
Thread Killer
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
gardnerwebbgator;n233746 said:
Cutting a promo back then with no script was essential to helping to fill arenas. Flair and Rhodes were the masters of the craft......

Rith-key bith-ness. RIP.....

The lisp, the wheeze every time he took a breath, the proselytizing... classic!

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
"250 lbs of Sweet Soul and Rock and Roll Gordon Solie!!!" Used to watch him when I visited my Grandfather in Palatka. That was real Rasslin'
Also saw him on Channel 17 out of Atlanta a lot along with Friday Night Frights with Dr. Paul Bearer. Good times

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
alcoholica;n233756 said:
Isn't that guy a Seminole?

Ron Simmons, yes he played there in the 70's. "Damn" was just my reaction when I saw this thread and I remembered watching Dusty, Dick Murdock, The Mask Assassin's and many others at the Eddie Graham sports center when I was in junior high....We were usually stoned out of our minds and somehow able to buy .50 draft beers that came in a big gulp sized cup....good times, RIP Dusty

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n233706 said:
Dusty was one of my favorites growing up. Tony Atlas, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Captain Lou Albano, Jimmy Superfly Snuka, The Orndorf's, The British Bulldogs, Abdullah the Butcher, Mick Foley, Ahh, those were the good ol' days of wrestling. RIP

You left out JYD. Junk Yard Dog.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He was a terrible manager and many Cubs and Reds fans wanted to kill him long ago.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
VulcanAlex;n233637 said:
I have a lot of memories related to Dusty. He started in Fl as a heel with his partner Dirty Dick Murdock. Gordon Sole was the best straight man announcer ever! I remember him riding a horse into the arena, and wearing a mask after he lost a loser leave town match. At least if my memory is correct. Seems like he was still wrestling in Japan not too long ago.

I wonder if his obesity had anything to do with his death?

RIP!!!

Yeah, he came back under a mask and called himself "The Midnight Rider". Had the Alman Brothers' song playing while he made his entrance. The good old days.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
TN G8tr;n233737 said:
Anyone remember "Championship Wrestling from FL" with Gordon Solie?? Gawd, what a long time ago. RIP DR, you were one of my favorites. Brisco Brother, Mike Graham, Steve Kern, The Sheepherders. WOW

Yeah, I grew up watching "Championship Wrestling from Florida". It was the best wrestling I've ever seen. I used to go to the Eddie Graham Sports Arena and see the matches live when I was a kid. Dusty was always one of my favorites. Bugsy McGraw, Stan Lane, the Masked Assassains, Sir Oliver Humperdink/Rooster, the list of who's who just goes on and on. Sorry to see Dusty pass away so soon. He was a legend.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Concrete Helmet;n233792 said:
Ron Simmons, yes he played there in the 70's. "Damn" was just my reaction when I saw this thread and I remembered watching Dusty, Dick Murdock, The Mask Assassin's and many others at the Eddie Graham sports center when I was in junior high....We were usually stoned out of our minds and somehow able to buy .50 draft beers that came in a big gulp sized cup....good times, RIP Dusty

I don't know if you all remember but Ron Simmons got caught up in some sort of burglary/stolen goods ring while playing at FSU, along with some other Nole players (shocking I know). I remember it being huge news in Central Florida when I was a kid. The Noles and Bowden have literally been running a crime ridden program for almost 40 years, which means that Bowden pretty much started looking the other way on behalf of his convict players almost from the day he took over.

On a side note about Simmons, I saw him in the Atlanta airport about 5 years ago. He would have been in his early 50s at that time. The guy was so FREAKING HUGE, even at that age. He wasn't overly tall, maybe 6'1, but he was jacked up and looked like a mean SOB.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n233841 said:
He was a terrible manager and many Cubs and Reds fans wanted to kill him long ago.
I thought it was funny law

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The demise is of our beloved country is nigh. The American Dream has died...

RIP big fella, you were fun to watch

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n233706 said:

Ah... those are some good names. Add Ultimate Warrior to the list. Roddy Piper. The Iron Shiek. Jimmy Hart. Goerge "the animal" Steel (didnt he have a green tongue and use to eat the turnbuckles?). And one guy carried a 2x4 around... Hacksaw Jim Duggan???

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
GatorInGeorgia;n233854 said:
On a side note about Simmons, I saw him in the Atlanta airport about 5 years ago. He would have been in his early 50s at that time. The guy was so FREAKING HUGE, even at that age. He wasn't overly tall, maybe 6'1, but he was jacked up and looked like a mean SOB.
He was a mean looking dude. The funny part about him and the whole "Damn" thing was that it was the only line he could remember.....not shocking when you consider where he went to college. And yes I remember Bowden cheating and lying even back in those days as a kid. That's how I became a Gator fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.