Dwayne Haskins, running across the interstate drunk and high in the dark, killed by dump truck at 24

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Was his own vehicle ever located?

I know you’re a big car person, and I’m sure it was nice. But how about a little sympathy. The guy’s dead two days and you’re already thinking about a potential estate sale?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A guy who had formerly been a teacher at my kids HS did this. He was having some mental issues and stopped going to treatment. His was driving with his cousin on the interstate and asked him to pull over. He then got out and ran into traffic. It was horrible. Before he started having issues which lead to him quitting the HS, he was actually one of the most popular teachers, with both students and parents, they had.

Similar story here. A couple years ago one of the teachers and football coach at one of the high schools here was randomly walking I-80 and walked out in the middle and struck dead. Loved by everyone and a huge community loss but was unstable.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Similar story here. A couple years ago one of the teachers and football coach at one of the high schools here was randomly walking I-80 and walked out in the middle and struck dead. Loved by everyone and a huge community loss but was unstable.

Sensing a trend here.

I had a coworker that ran out in front of a dump truck on I-75 in Tampa in an attempt to commit suicide due to trouble at work and in his marriage.
He wasn’t killed by the incident but died a couple of months later due to the injuries.

This was the first thing I thought of when I heard about Haskins.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
I was on the track and field team at Forrest Sr High(now Westside High) back in 1986. The entire team went out on a 5 mile run out of the campus before the season started. As we were only a mile from making it back from our run, about 4 of my teammates decided to take short cuts to make it look like we made it back in good time by crossing I-295 traffic. 6 of us said hell no, so we ran a longer route back. The idiots who decided to cross the interstate made it back about 5 minutes faster than the ones, including myself, who decided to run the safe route. I'm sure if they pulled this stunt today, they would have been lucky just to get across into the median alive. Back then, 295 traffic was nowhere near as crazy as it is now.

Of course we never mentioned this incident to our coach. The dipsh1t who lead the short cut ended up in and out of jail to this day. He began his criminal career by forging worthless checks before he even left high school, that's when we quit calling him by his first name and just called him The Felon.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
If I were forced to eat at an Applebees, much less having to cross a road to get to it, I’d pull a Dennis Haskins and stop midway across.
C'mon stop lying, or should I say "cheeting"...

applebees-cheetos-chicken-wings-special-landing-page-mobile.jpg

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
lol that looks so disgusting. Imagine, each one of those mouthfuls of garbage is a dollar that could've gone to a hardworking single mom or perhaps prospective law student at Tootsie's. :(

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
lol that looks so disgusting. Imagine, each one of those mouthfuls of garbage is a dollar that could've gone to a hardworking single mom or perhaps prospective law student at Tootsie's. :(

Every time I wonder why I don’t have a beach house, I take solace in the fact that I spent much of my twenties helping pay for nail tech certificates, CNA courses and half semesters at Nova Southeastern. It’s that type of philanthropic mindset that’s missing today.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
If I were forced to eat at an Applebees, much less having to cross a road to get to it, I’d pull a Dennis Haskins and stop midway across.
To be honest that was probably 25 years ago could have been a Road House or or other fast food place I could spell Applebees so went with that.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was on the track and field team at Forrest Sr High(now Westside High) back in 1986. The entire team went out on a 5 mile run out of the campus before the season started. As we were only a mile from making it back from our run, about 4 of my teammates decided to take short cuts to make it look like we made it back in good time by crossing I-295 traffic. 6 of us said hell no, so we ran a longer route back. The idiots who decided to cross the interstate made it back about 5 minutes faster than the ones, including myself, who decided to run the safe route. I'm sure if they pulled this stunt today, they would have been lucky just to get across into the median alive. Back then, 295 traffic was nowhere near as crazy as it is now.

Of course we never mentioned this incident to our coach. The dipsh1t who lead the short cut ended up in and out of jail to this day. He began his criminal career by forging worthless checks before he even left high school, that's when we quit calling him by his first name and just called him The Felon.

I graduated from Forrest a few years later. Davis for middle. Jesus that area is an absolute 3rd world country shiithole now.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
Haskins apparently ran out of gas.. Was going to get more....

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Don't know why someone with a pocket full of platinum cards cant call roadside assistance...

did he live down there or was he visiting?
I assume he was visiting so it might have been a rental car. those companies will hook you up with roadside assistance- no problem/no charge

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
did he live down there or was he visiting?
I assume he was visiting so it might have been a rental car. those companies will hook you up with roadside assistance- no problem/no charge

He was working out with some teammates. Receivers I guess. And yes it was a rental car from what I've read.
So yes, the rental company would have been the correct call. But anything beside running across the freeway in the dark..

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.