Dwayne Haskins, running across the interstate drunk and high in the dark, killed by dump truck at 24

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gil Brandt was inappropriately blunt in his comments, but he wasn’t far off the mark. Haskins’ short life will be remembered for a series of miscalculations that left him behind the NFL eight ball and tragically contributed to his death.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Gil Brandt was inappropriately blunt in his comments, but he wasn’t far off the mark. Haskins’ short life will be remembered for a series of miscalculations that left him behind the NFL eight ball and tragically contributed to his death.
"Miscalculations". The guy was basically an idiot. Saying that, most 24 year old guys ARE idiots.

Being stranded on the side of the road doesn't explain running ACROSS the road in front of dump trucks. I think he was either extremely impaired, or he killed himself.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, my mind flashbacks to years past with stories of when young people full of LSD or PCP thought they could fly and they jumped to their deaths from highrise buildings. Maybe he combined some usually innocuous drugs that messed up his perception. No matter which, that's some sad crazy way for a QB to pass.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
"Miscalculations". The guy was basically an idiot. Saying that, most 24 year old guys ARE idiots.

Being stranded on the side of the road doesn't explain running ACROSS the road in front of dump trucks. I think he was either extremely impaired, or he killed himself.

Probably a combination of being stranded and being intoxicated. Most people awake at that time are going to be impaired at least to some degree. I’m guessing he misjudged things—which would be par for the course based on what we know—and the rest is history. As for not calling, I’m guessing there were people in his life that would not have been pleased with his being out at that time(and maybe at that location), so he took matters into his own hands. Dumb move, but like the AR thread pointed out, not that out of the ordinary all things considered.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
It was 100% intentional. He waited for the biggest rig to come his way then stepped out in front of it.

Dump Trucks probably make up less than 1% of road traffic, and that’s what he used for his love bug imitation so it would be painless. He’s not going to step in front of a mini-Cooper.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017

Were Road Rangers not an option?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Weird

Dwayne Haskins' parents not attending son's funeral in Pittsburgh, will hold separate services | Fox News

The pair told USA Today they have never met their son’s wife and felt that meeting her at his funeral would be the wrong time.

"We have never met or spoken to the wife, and we didn’t want our son’s funeral service to be the place we met her for the first time," their statement to the outlet said.
Seems like a pretty damn strange reason not to attend your son's FUNERAL, for God's sake. There's a lot more to this story.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
Sounds to me like the parents will host their own funeral for their son where they live, and they are denouncing wife's funeral in Pittsburgh. That actually makes sense to me considering they've never met her before now. My question is why they never met her???

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds to me like the parents will host their own funeral for their son where they live, and they are denouncing wife's funeral in Pittsburgh. That actually makes sense to me considering they've never met her before now. My question is why they never met her???
I think "denouncing" your son's funeral anywhere is a pretty weird thing to do. It is his wife, it's not like a fan is holding the service.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Great question.

So why not go meet her right away? This whole thing is bizarre and gets more so by the day.

I think they may have been a few tweaks away from a healthy overall relationship.

On the other hand, I met my future father in law the same night I later proposed. So who knows.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
I think "denouncing" your son's funeral anywhere is a pretty weird thing to do. It is his wife, it's not like a fan is holding the service.
I'm just saying it's hard to judge without knowing WHY they never met. That's not normal. Particularly among those with the means to meet.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Who is investigating that dump truck driver,? :confused:

After investigating, no charges were made. Sheriff has released the full report. Haskins walked in front of the truck and was subsequently hit by two or three vehicles. Really sad for everyone involved.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
After investigating, no charges were made. Sheriff has released the full report. Haskins walked in front of the truck and was subsequently hit by two or three vehicles. Really sad for everyone involved.
We'll wait for the toxicology report.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We'll wait for the toxicology report.
I think he just made a stupid decision that ended up being fatal. From what I’ve read, he was on his way to practice, ran out of gas, decided to walk across the interstate to get some and you know the rest of the story. I think it would’ve still been dark so he probably misjudged how fast those vehicles were coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator