Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So people think a QB who would have at best started about 12 games or so would be a high draft pick?
Getting drafted has nothing to do with whether or not he has performed at a high level for two or more years or even any years. You guys mocked me when I told you that DJ Humphries would go high despite his poor play. It's all about the measureables and what you they think they can make you, not what you did in college. Grier has a good (but not great) arm, a lightning quick release and excellent accuracy. He will be rated highly, probably as highly as anyone.

I'm not impressed with the family's mindset. I won't be surprised at all for him to leave.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Getting drafted has nothing to do with whether or not he has performed at a high level for two or more years or even any years. You guys mocked me when I told you that DJ Humphries would go high despite his poor play. It's all about the measureables and what you they think they can make you, not what you did in college. Grier has a good (but not great) arm, a lightning quick release and excellent accuracy. He will be rated highly, probably as highly as anyone.

I'm not impressed with the family's mindset. I won't be surprised at all for him to leave.

Usually it is a little bit different with QB's though, since it is much about experience, learned skills, cerebral aspects, etc, as it is athletic talent. Rarely does a true freshman tear it up as QB, but true freshmen quite often do with other positions. The NFL isn't going to waste a 1st round, and probably not a 2nd round on such an unproven. Maybe 3rd round. For every additional year he plays if he continues to progress to his apparently potential I bet he pushes himself between a half to full round each year. With his skills I could easily see him being a 1st round pick in a couple of years...but not now or anytime soon.

As to the family's mindset, maybe. I haven't been a fan of some of the things I have seen, but I kind of wonder if we are just overreacting given the particular situation. I would think the father, given his QB college experience and as a coach would know his kid would benefit from a couple of years experience and maturity before jumping into the cluster**** that is the NFL.

Sep 29, 2015
Kids don't probably think this way, but a QB going to play for a new head coach, on his first gig, that is a defensive coach is a dice roll. Chances are if he even makes it he'll end up rotating OC's every year or two and may even change the scheme if he doesn't have immediate success. May as well go play for Muschamp.

Exhibit A: Jeff Driskel

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have a feeling he may end up there. Don't doubt the power of mama.
He wants to get away from Mama. His Dad sent him to Florida to be by himself to see how he dealt with being on his own (because that's what he wants, to get as far away from his parents as possible). And by all reports, seems like he dealt with it quite well and had a really good time..........nudge nudge............say no more. He won't be on his own at UW (Lake Steven's is only 45 minutes away) and he won't see the female talent at UW that he has already witnessed first hand at UF (and likely in Athens as well). It's us or the pups.

cuzg8tor

Aug 10, 2014
Noticed that coaches for the East in the Army AA game include Will Grier's dad Chad and Jacob Eason's high school coach Tom Tri. Wonder if there will be any interaction before or after the game in which either will have an opportunity to influence Mr. Eason. I realize Eason will be playing for the West but I dont know how many activities are engaged in jointly during the entire process. I would assume Chad Grier would rather not see Eason come to the Gators and from what I have read, it seems his high school coach is in favor of him going to the Dawgs.

https://usatodayhss.com/2015/2016-u-s-army-all-american-bowl-announces-coaching-staff

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Noticed that coaches for the East in the Army AA game include Will Grier's dad Chad and Jacob Eason's high school coach Tom Tri. Wonder if there will be any interaction before or after the game in which either will have an opportunity to influence Mr. Eason. I realize Eason will be playing for the West but I dont know how many activities are engaged in jointly during the entire process. I would assume Chad Grier would rather not see Eason come to the Gators and from what I have read, it seems his high school coach is in favor of him going to the Dawgs.

https://usatodayhss.com/2015/2016-u-s-army-all-american-bowl-announces-coaching-staff

He is supposed to decide next week. The Army game will be too late.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

That's interesting from a coaching angle but I don't know why Chad or Will give to $hits about Eason coming. He was a budding star and I don't think that Eason poses any real threat to him. If Will had played the entire year and plays next year he would be declaring. That's how good he is.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You guys still licking dawg balls in this thread?
Not me. I've said all along the guy looks like another Drisktard. Smells like dog too. Happy Franks seems solid and is "coming to start". Of course I doubt he starts. I figure Del Rio or Trask (haha) will start us off next year and carry us through the 6th game until Grier is off suspension.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not me. I've said all along the guy looks like another Drisktard. Smells like dog too. Happy Franks seems solid and is "coming to start". Of course I doubt he starts. I figure Del Rio or Trask (haha) will start us off next year and carry us through the 6th game until Grier is off suspension.
Trask very well may be that much more accurate than Franks at this point. The line should be better, but how much better. It may be more important to have someone make a quick read and accurately deliver a ball. So Trask may have a shot, and if he wins the starting job, we need to lower expectations immediately and put Law on suicide watch.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Trask very well may be that much more accurate than Franks at this point. The line should be better, but how much better. It may be more important to have someone make a quick read and accurately deliver a ball. So Trask may have a shot, and if he wins the starting job, we need to lower expectations immediately and put Law on suicide watch.

Personally, I hope they all come and compete, but we all know the top dogs like to go somewhere they feel they can win the competition. All I care is that we get one of them ready to start next year and that whoever it is, is at least better than Treon was this year. JMac/Nuss's offense looks like it could be spectacular if they just have a QB that can make the quick accurate throws that keeps a defense worried about the pass enough to stay back off the line of scrimmage. With Treon they knew all they had to do was crowd the line and keep him contained behind his Oline so he couldn't see anything. I feel pretty confident the coaching staff can have Del Rio, Trask, Franks, Eason, or even Clarabelle ready to play better than Treon before next season starts.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Trask won't play a down here.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
UGA is hiring Jim Chaney as their OC. The former Pitt OC boasted the 102nd best pass offense last year :clap:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
To be fair, he was forced to work under the Neatherpig HC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator