Eff him: Butters getting hired as head coach of Central Michigan

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
In all seriousness, I'll bet unopened bottles would sell well as a Gators collectors item. I'm assuming his sauce business was closed up after he quit.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Here's a good article on Ian Scott (new DL coach for CMU):

Great Scott: New Defensive Line Coach Commands Respect - Central Michigan University Athletics

MOUNT PLEASANT, Mich. – A new position coach with a pedigree that commands respect.

Ian Scott is in charge of the Central Michigan defensive line, and when the seven-year NFL veteran with a Super Bowl appearance under his belt speaks, his charges listen.

"He's teaching us stuff, stuff that I was never taught," said sophomore Jacques Bristol, who has appeared in all 20 games the Chippewas have played over the past two seasons. "He's got me knowing the game way more than I ever knew it."

Scott joined coach Jim McElwain's staff in June after three years at Central Florida. He served as a defensive-line graduate assistant under McElwain at Florida in 2017. Scott, who holds an industrial engineering degree, also spent time as a high school coach in South Carolina and spent time in the business world working for Michelin.

"It's something that I enjoyed," Scott said of his time in the non-football working world, "but I really love football.

"Being able to be around in this environment with the players is one of my favorite things. When I wake up in the morning, I feel like it's a great purpose that I have, and my family gets to be a part of. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be able to do this and be in this environment. It's really special."

Scott has some special parts to work with, beginning with defensive end Troy Hairston II, who last year was named to the co-Mid-American Conference Defensive Player of the Year when he led the league with 5 ½ sacks among 12 tackles for loss.

Hairston is the premier name along a defensive front that features several veterans along with newcomers, such as transfers Thomas Incoom (Valdosta State) and Tyrece Woods Jr. (Buffalo), who could contribute immediately.

LaQuan Johnson Jr., a sophomore, is also back after suffering a season-ending injury in the 2020 season opener. Another sophomore, Tico Brown, should also figure into the mix.

"Coach Scott has brought a lot to us," said junior Amir Siddiq, who is among the mainstays in the group. "Just little tidbits that make us better as far as attacking a certain point or putting an eye on something in order for us to see what's going on on a certain play.

"He's a really well-rounded coach because he actually played the position, played in the (NFL), played in college.

"I like how our defense has been communicating … and is working together. As a defense you want 11 hats making one play, not 11 hats trying to make individual plays. That's the bottom line."

Scott was a two-time All-Southeastern Conference selection at Florida, helping the Gators to the SEC championship in 2000. He played in the NFL with the Chicago Bears, Philadelphia Eagles, Carolina Panthers and San Diego Chargers from 2003-09. He played with the Bears in Super Bowl XLI.

Scott understands his resumé helps in getting the attention of the players. He also recognizes that what is past is past, and his focus is on getting the most out of his troops in 2021.

"I think the biggest thing is being able to talk with the guys in a way that they understand and is believable," he said. "I went through the same things in practice, I went through the same things in the game and so I try to make sure that what I tell them is coming from a place of experience, not something that I heard from somebody else or something that was taught to me.

"These guys are a lot more athletic and better football players than I was so if I can help them with the ins and outs just a little bit, I think it's going to help everybody be successful."

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’m conflicted on McElwain. He did some good things for the program, getting us to Atlanta twice and two wins over Georgia. You just can’t make up death threats LOL
This isn't going to end well.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I’m conflicted on McElwain. He did some good things for the program, getting us to Atlanta twice and two wins over Georgia. You just can’t make up death threats LOL

Brother...you won't last here. You must be a

tenor.gif

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Actually he was gone before then, maybe you should say, "You can't talk bad about the people who sign your checks on National TV right after getting a raise and extension."

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I don't know if you've noticed but we don't seem to like to have Gators anywhere in the athletic department. we want loyalty to Fooley first, not the Gators.

It’s a crying shame. Why our sideline isn’t packed with former greats every week is a mystery (well maybe it’s not a mystery…you did mention Fooley, which is probably accurate).

Also, what about 2nd generation players? How many legacy kids do we hear about considering UF? Certainly some of the studs from the Spurrier years have kids approaching college age. WTF, none of them have boys that play football? Only ones I ever recall hearing about were the sons of Shane Matthews, Fred Taylor & Emmitt.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It’s a crying shame. Why our sideline isn’t packed with former greats every week is a mystery (well maybe it’s not a mystery…you did mention Fooley, which is probably accurate).
as far as I know the only football player in the athletic department is Shane Edge.

A punter.

From Marshall.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
as far as I know the only football player in the athletic department is Shane Edge.

A punter.

From Marshall.

I misinterpreted your initial comment. I thought you meant players hanging around the program.

But actual ex-players working in the AD? Oh, hell no, Little Man/Big Ego says that's not happening. :bwahaha:

P.S. - regarding Shane Edge, Donk please remember...punters are people, too. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.