Elway trashes Tebow in new book

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
we are in the first row behind the on deck circle and she was very pleased. J and his family were with us for one of the 4 games were at and my parents came to another one of them. I think all the wives in the group might have agreed with my wife.

y'alls wives were all giddy with 'throupling' - polyamorous and all that.

my wife would have reduced it from 'throupling' to ... "diddy, do the terms 'third wheel', 'too many chefs in my kitchen' or 'one too many cars in my garage' mean anything to you?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
y'alls wives were all giddy with 'throupling' - polyamorous and all that.

my wife would have reduced it from 'throupling' to ... "diddy, do the terms 'third wheel', 'too many chefs in my kitchen' or 'one too many cars in my garage' mean anything to you?

Mrs Dougie would have just told me what time she would have been home.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Loved Tebow as a Gator, but then I thought the love for him from our fans and those once he went to the NFL was crazy and nauseatingly over the top. BUT, at the same time, he was never allowed to run a conducive offense in the NFL. His stats were not great in Denver, unless you look at the Fourth quarters only, where John Fox had completely Muschamped the games up to that point. He kept everything super close and would not let Tebow play in an RPO or even play action with the QB offense. He was a conservative coach that would need to have a really ground breaking approach for the NFL that Lamar Jackson is crushing (I'm not suggesting Tebow is Lamar, but Lamar was given the structure to shine and would also likely struggle in an Aaron Rodgers/Mike McCarthy style offense).

Anyway, Tebow's efficiency when allowed to stress defenses with both the threat of run and pass on the same play was fairly high. I've seen at least two articles breaking this down - neither was some Christian football stat site. His running ability won a few games (against the Jets and Steelers) where the defense went cover zero because of the run threat and allowed a big play. Denver didn't highlight that to their and Tebow's detriment.

Ultimately though, those who worshiped him the most likely cost him a realistic chance as a backup/time to develop guy. It was too much of a burden to have your marginal QB treated as the second coming.

Totally agree on the Jackson comparison, in both respects. Yes, I’m ok saying Lamar looks way more comfortable in the NFL than Tebow ever did(or would, imo). But as you said, the Ravens basically said, “screw it” and allowed LJ to be LJ. I credit them. Teams for so long have insisted otherwise. And Tebow’s time was no different. I even feel like we spent the first 3-4 games of both ‘08 and ‘09 trying to make him something he wasn’t before finally just conceding and allowing him to play his game.

But yes, his presence was too much. And his play wasn’t enough to overcome it.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Totally agree on the Jackson comparison, in both respects. Yes, I’m ok saying Lamar looks way more comfortable in the NFL than Tebow ever did(or would, imo). But as you said, the Ravens basically said, “screw it” and allowed LJ to be LJ. I credit them. Teams for so long have insisted otherwise. And Tebow’s time was no different. I even feel like we spent the first 3-4 games of both ‘08 and ‘09 trying to make him something he wasn’t before finally just conceding and allowing him to play his game.

But yes, his presence was too much. And his play wasn’t enough to overcome it.

We hired a NFL qb coach in 09 to help him with his motion, but at the end of the day Meyer's job was to win at Florida not get him ready for the NFL. Meyer said leading up to the 2010 draft that didn't get him ready to read defenses. He was taught read 25% if it wasn't there create. Which is what he did, and tried to do in the pros. But what people forget once the NFL teams had 6 games of film, his effectiveness went drastically south. They knew his tendencies. Just look what the Patriots did to him twice, took away his first read, and closed the running lanes.

The worst thing that happened was being a 1st round pick on a team that sucked. He wasn't given the opportunity to learn behind a professional quarterback and learn to read defenses.

The Ravens adjusted their offensive philosophy around Lamar, but he also had a more NFL throwing motion and was more NFL ready than Tebow entering the NFL. Part of which is because unlike Florida where Tebow at great talent around him, Lamar played for Louisville against teams usually more talented and had to make throws in tighter windows.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We hired a NFL qb coach in 09 to help him with his motion, but at the end of the day Meyer's job was to win at Florida not get him ready for the NFL. He said leading up to the 2010 draft that didn't get him ready to read defenses. He was taught read 25% if it wasn't there create. Which is what he did, and tried to do in the pros. But what people forget once the NFL teams had 6 games of film, his effectiveness went drastically south. They knew his tendencies. Just look what the Patriots did to him twice, took away his first read, and closed the running lanes.

The worst thing that happened was being a 1st round pick on a team that sucked. He wasn't given the opportunity to learn behind a professional quarterback and learn to read defenses.

The Ravens adjusted their offensive philosophy around Lamar, but he also had a more NFL throwing motion and was more NFL ready than Tebow entering the NFL. Part of which is because unlike Florida where Tebow at great talent around him, Lamar played for Louisville against teams usually more talented and had to make throws in tighter windows.

Also very true. If he was taken in the 3rd or 4th round, he’s still coming with the fanfare, but not put on the potential “bust” list. In addition, yeah he could’ve learned behind someone. But I think still what was always going to haunt him was his athletic ability, strength/size and determination. Just like so many other DT QBs, he’d just relied on improvising for too long. His brain just said “play football”, which won’t work at that level.

The first thing I noticed about LJ was his ability to avoid hits, sliding or getting out of bounds, while also keeping his eyes down field. If Vick could’ve done that and the Falcons had made the same commitment to his style, and they weren’t a red/black Ga based franchise, they would’ve won a SB.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Also very true. If he was taken in the 3rd or 4th round, he’s still coming with the fanfare, but not put on the potential “bust” list. In addition, yeah he could’ve learned behind someone. But I think still what was always going to haunt him was his athletic ability, strength/size and determination. Just like so many other DT QBs, he’d just relied on improvising for too long. His brain just said “play football”, which won’t work at that level.

The first thing I noticed about LJ was his ability to avoid hits, sliding or getting out of bounds, while also keeping his eyes down field. If Vick could’ve done that and the Falcons had made the same commitment to his style, and they weren’t a red/black Ga based franchise, they would’ve won a SB.

Agreed

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is sad and reflects poorly on both of these guys. I kinda hope the allegations against Tebow are untrue. Regardless of what he might do with the money, it takes a bit of the shine off him.

I loved Elway at Stanford and early in his career in Denver. He played in college while I played in high school. I played tight end and defensive end and went to some quarterback/receiver camps. All the QBs tried to throw hard so they could inflict an "Elway Cross" on the hands of us receivers. Oddly enough, my QB my sophomore year really did have something of a cannon and inflicted lots of crosses and even weirder, looked like Elway - at least with his jawline. He managed to catch on with the New York Giants for a couple of seasons after winning 3 Ivy League titles in his 4 years.. I can remember when catching him without my helmet - like in warm-ups - I'd always make sure my head was cocked at a bit of an angle so if the ball slipped though my hands, it'd glance off my head rather than pounding me right on the forehead or bridge of the nose. Never happened with him, though. I always concentrated like a friggin laser when catching him. His arm was stronger in HS than any of the college QBs I played with.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Regardless of what he might do with the money, it takes a bit of the shine off him.
I think Tebow has used his money to do a lot of good, things he couldn't do if he was friggin' broke like the rest of us. I think this is unfair.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I see my thread title was edited, then hours later completely changed. I happen to think "elway is not a fan of tebow" was a pretty good title.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
FWIW, I've never liked the horsefaced boy from Denver. He's always been a POS.

It's always funny as hell to remember his college career ended on "The Play" when Cal lateraled Stanford right out of bowl eligibility that season.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Well from a football aspect, no one is reading anything new as all those things were know whether it be throwing motion, ability to read defenses, etc. etc. etc.

Regarding him asking for a speaking/appearance fee, I believe that is called capitalism and if the beatch did not want to pay, so be it, regardless of event. If Tim did ask for a fee to speak at a religious activity, I am quite sure that the likes of Jimmy Swaggert, Earnest Angley, Jim Bakker, Joel Osteen, Billy Graham, Pat Robertson and countless others that do not come to mind immediately would be proud of Tim.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
and if the beatch did not want to pay, so be it, regardless of event.

The appearance fee item is the only thing new or interesting. But, if you’re Tebow and Elway is so publicly bashing you (which he did from the moment he got the job), why are you doing that a$$hole or his wife a favor while they stab you in the back and work to drive you out of town. Is it possible the appearance fee quoted by his brother was the families’ F-U back at ole Nag face.

Jun 2, 2015
Speakers get fees. Tony Dungy, Bowden, etc. etc. all received large fees. You simply don't run all over the country for free and we all have our favorite charities. We cannot give to every charity on earth. Is Elway giving away his book? No, I seriously doubt it.. Elway sounds like he is eaten up with envy/jealousy.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I see my thread title was edited, then hours later completely changed. I happen to think "elway is not a fan of tebow" was a pretty good title.

Fuk that, good or not isn't the issue. It was YOUR thread title. You don't have to take that kinda schit Diddy. You need to demand whoever changed the thread title to CHANGE IT BACK.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Fuk that, good or not isn't the issue. It was YOUR thread title. You don't have to take that kinda schit Diddy. You need to demand whoever changed the thread title to CHANGE IT BACK.

9cfc3a26-a582-4248-bfba-15b71f8a1259_text.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.