Emory Jones transfers to Arizona State and gets benched; now looking to get benched at Cincy

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I have questioned whether the problem was EJ or Mullet's coaching and play calling. A scenario where Napier turns him into a good QB, reverses his fortunes at UF and further exposes Mullet's incompetence is appealing.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
EJ looked decisive last year when he came in for his set of plays or mop up duties. I was excited about his potential for this season. I don’t know what happened. DM gave him the whole playbook? The pressure of being the full time starter got to him? Who knows.

I remember back in the ‘90s it was Bowden’s strategy to have a redshirt Jr become the next starter, and they would always struggle that first year. I recall bumper stickers going around in 1990 saying “honk if you’ve intercepted Charlie Ward.” Just wondering if this year would have been an anomaly for EJ under that same logic.

Oh well. It’s all academic now. Maybe a conversation was had between him and BN, and both agreed to EJ’s decision. Best of luck to him.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I have questioned whether the problem was EJ or Mullet's coaching and play calling. A scenario where Napier turns him into a good QB, reverses his fortunes at UF and further exposes Mullet's incompetence is appealing.
I find absolutely zero appealing about Emory taking another snap at qb for Florida. Nothing. It isn’t EJ’s fault that he isn’t up to the task. You can tell the guy truly tries and loves being a Gator, but he just isn’t good enough.

He’s a good kid and I wish him well in whatever he decides to do, but he needs to move on from UF as far as quarterback is concerned. I felt the same way about Franks and Driskel.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I feel badly for Emory; hotshot HS QB, widely recruited, goes to big time SEC to play in an offense he believes will be perfect for his skill set. Solid kid, good teammate, and by all accounts a hard worker. Patiently waits his turn and it just doesn’t work out.

"Life is just one undammed thing after another."

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

Is this legit? Idk what he saw on twitter, but I wonder if this is an overreaction? I think most just wanted to see a fair competition for the starting job rather than preferential treatment towards upperclassmen. And after that horrible bowl performance, I don’t know how he can act like there isn’t plenty of evidence that he hasn’t proven himself to be the unquestioned starter.

He’s been a class act under immense pressure, but he’s starting to show his own frustration more than he should.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I feel badly for Emory; hotshot HS QB, widely recruited, goes to big time SEC to play in an offense he believes will be perfect for his skill set. Solid kid, good teammate, and by all accounts a hard worker. Patiently waits his turn and it just doesn’t work out.

I wish him the best wherever he ends up and hope he has great success, both at the next stop and in life. Bon chance, EJ.
This is a solid post. I really hope for the best for this guy. And I really think he's a talented young man. Who knows what the future holds

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t care if he decides to stay. He’ll be 3rd string at best IMO.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is there were a boatload of drops in the Bowl Game (Gamble had 3 or 4 himself) or deep balls that looked like they led the receiver properly but became an over-throw because the receiver's feet appeared to be made of lead (Shorter? I'm thinking Slower would be more accurate). Not to say EJ played well at all, he didn't, but some of the responsibility of the 38% completion percentage belongs on the receivers and Oline. Short of about 2 players on Defense, it was a complete crapfest by the entire coaching staff and players. When on the first drive we declined a penalty that would give us a 1st and 10 to take a 2nd and 8 I was like, "okay, looks like we're Mullening tonight gents".

EJ is not good enough and AR is a monster so there should be no discussion on who should be starting at QB for us next year. EJ needs to transfer and get a new start in my opinion but I think the folks saying he will never start a game for a P5 team are projecting their own bias. There's a lot of P5 teams with crappy QB's and EJ is good enough to beat some of these guys out. But he definitely doesn't have the vision, accuracy and timing to excel. The hardest thing to coach is timing and vision. It seems to be more an innate ability for instance like Trask. AR has shown glimmers of it with off the chart athleticism to go along with it.

Best of luck to EJ in whatever is next for him.

Last edited:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
He might stay but not at QB. Depends on what the new coach offers him. He and the foolish decision to keep him in the game costs us the potential victory and lots of foolish comments from a second rate team. They are no better and probably worse than Cincy.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Five days ago … he waited his turn, he never complained, he’ll always be a Gator.

This afternoon … don’t let the door bang you in the ass, you philandering phuck.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
Five days ago … he waited his turn, he never complained, he’ll always be a Gator.

This afternoon … don’t let the door bang you in the ass, you philandering phuck.
Just for the record, I never waxed nostalgic about this kid. But once he started rethinking his departure, I couldn't bite my tongue anymore. I never want to see him attempt another pass in orange and blue, and I'll personally start www.firebillynapier.com if I do.

OK, that may be a bit extreme....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator