ESPN: Is Florida finding its footing under Billy Napier?

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The CB's have got to be the worst 2 in D1 CFB....hands down.
It makes it even worse that QB’s sit back with a mountain of time.

On that subject, does anyone else think Mertz drops back too far? I think it allows the DE’s an easier path to him than if he was up a couple of steps.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
We have no inside pass rush and wait entirely too long to blitz. LSU and FSU are going to light our secondary up like a Christmas tree...
I just don't understand it. I have a ton of respect for Corey Raymond.
How does he NOT sse the lack of effort and basic skills on display by our entire secondary?
I mean, we get all these highly rated players, then they get here, and play soft and underwhelming.
What the Fuch???

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Florida was so far down after the 3 M boys and their lack of recruiting especially in the trenches, it may take 4 recruiting cycles, both HS and transfer portal to rebuild the talent to expected levels. Kirby walked into Georgia with 10 straight years of top 10 recruiting and 10 win seasons. He gets credit for taking the program to the next level but he inherited a GREAT situation in Athens.
Okay, but if this staff cannot show recruits they can engineer some wins with decent talent why would they buy into the “we just need you and ….” sales pitch? All other well coached, already pretty good teams are recruiting our commits. I’m not convinced we sign this class. If I’m a commit, I’m wondering if I trust this staff to produce even with a 4+ roster.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I just don't understand it. I have a ton of respect for Corey Raymond.
How does he NOT sse the lack of effort and basic skills on display by our entire secondary?
I mean, we get all these highly rated players, then they get here, and play soft and underwhelming.
What the Fuch???
I think both of them were 5 stars? Just goes to show you that the recruiting services do get it wrong sometimes.....At this point we've got to at least try someone else at CB....Maybe there's a gamer on the bench that's just waiting to show out in a game....it couldn't be any worse than what were seeing now.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Strength and conditioning suck. Fire that bum.

Hire an OC ASAP.

Hire a ST coach ASAP.

Dump at least one if not both OL coaches.

Like it or not we have to do better in the transfer portal. Still can’t believe we let all those OL go. Stupid.

I’m not impressed with what is happening in the defensive backfield. Is Corey just phoning it in?

If these items do not get aggressively addressed in the off season, Napier may get ‘24, but won’t make it all the way through ‘25.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We have no inside pass rush and wait entirely too long to blitz. LSU and FSU are going to light our secondary up like a Christmas tree...

We will pummel Travis. We got to him last year but had poor tackling. And that was there. He’ll wish he’d never started playing football and gone ahead with his “transition” by the time he leaves BHG in November.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Disgusting effort there. I'm not sure what has happened to the defense.
The DB's are lost. They aren't physical and rarely make solo tackles.
Sad.
Inexplicable. Something is wrong with our practice, training, motivation, and position group meetings. Do we practice “full speed”? Because, it has looked in several games that out players aren’t ready for the game’s speed.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Strength and conditioning suck. Fire that bum.

Hire an OC ASAP.

Hire a ST coach ASAP.

Dump at least one if not both OL coaches.

Like it or not we have to do better in the transfer portal. Still can’t believe we let all those OL go. Stupid.

I’m not impressed with what is happening in the defensive backfield. Is Corey just phoning it in?

If these items do not get aggressively addressed in the off season, Napier may get ‘24, but won’t make it all the way through ‘25.
Doesn’t matter to me if an OL was hurt or got hurt once transferred. Staff didn’t likely know about the injury. Nonetheless, two of the three OL would have been capable, and sorely needed. It points to an arrogance “we will bring in better players immediately”. I believe so many FR are playing in part to showcase, in part to propel the “we didn’t have talent, give us time” narrative.

Raymond’s rep is being tarnished. Of the remaining DB targets, why would they commit? Bama’s winning the West, playing for the SEC and Mincey has other options. Thinking Raymond is on his way out in a couple of years. He’s made millions. The effort and development of our DBs suggests to me Raymond is not buying into Napier.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I think both of them were 5 stars? Just goes to show you that the recruiting services do get it wrong sometimes.....At this point we've got to at least try someone else at CB....Maybe there's a gamer on the bench that's just waiting to show out in a game....it couldn't be any worse than what were seeing now.
Agreed. We put trash on the field and get embarrassed on National TV. Bench their azzes!
Lack of effort is unacceptable.
Could it be Billy is just too close to the players?

Another thing I need to point out.
For years, ga has always put off this aura that they're tougher and more physical than us. To ga, they come out, bust us in the mouth, we wilt like puzzies.
They've been quoted as saying this before the games. To Kirby, we are soft and play soft. He preaches this to his team. Worst part is, He is correct!

The physicality issue is one I never worried about with Billy.
I was sure, he would make damned sure whoever we play every week, would feel it on Sunday and Monday.
I cannot recall a single big hit on a RB or WR since he's been here.

We are lost as a team right now. We have forgotten how to play aggressive and angry, on both sides of the ball. I mean, you need an O line that's aggressive, mean and nasty, you need Wideouts that will put you on your azz blocking. Not to mention aggressive and nasty defenses across the positions.

I'm worried, this is Billy's dna.
He is entirely Too nice and too passive to opposing coaches.
Where is the fn hatred?

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Doesn’t matter to me if an OL was hurt or got hurt once transferred. Staff didn’t likely know about the injury. Nonetheless, two of the three OL would have been capable, and sorely needed. It points to an arrogance “we will bring in better players immediately”. I believe so many FR are playing in part to showcase, in part to propel the “we didn’t have talent, give us time” narrative.

Raymond’s rep is being tarnished. Of the remaining DB targets, why would they commit? Bama’s winning the West, playing for the SEC and Mincey has other options. Thinking Raymond is on his way out in a couple of years. He’s made millions. The effort and development of our DBs suggests to me Raymond is not buying into Napier.
Damn....That would be devastating to the program.
But, If he's not getting the best out of and developing these players, then It's time to move on.

Does anyone think Billy is calling in his assistants, one by one, and chewing their azzes out today?

I don't.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Damn....That would be devastating to the program.
But, If he's not getting the best out of and developing these players, then It's time to move on.

Does anyone think Billy is calling in his assistants, one by one, and chewing their azzes out today?

I don't.
Im not a Billy hater by any means but I have to agree with this. Does he or has he ever chewed anyones ass? Doesnt seem like it.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Im not a Billy hater by any means but I have to agree with this. Does he or has he ever chewed anyones ass? Doesnt seem like it.
That's a problem.
It's most likely, Billy just doesn't have the dna to demand excellence. Doesn't really get after coaches underachieving, or players for that matter.

That video of Kimber passively covering and refusing to even try to tackle McConkey, smacks of Wilson throwing the shoe in the lsu game.
Not as blatant, But, the film is out there now. That soft puzzie wouldn't start for me the rest of the season.

ted

Aug 24, 2019
So for sake of argument, let’s say BN closes on the recruiting class(even flips a couple on ESD), hires an OC, new OL, and a ST coordinator that the gator nation is optimistic/excited about and does well in the transfer portal. UF will still be a young team in 24 with an exceptionally brutal schedule. IMHO, a 7-5 year would be excellent in 2024, with improved play calling and an actual return to putting our best athletes on ST to affect sudden change on punt fakes, punt blocks etc.. Would that be seen as progress or is the W/L record the measuring stick?

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
So for sake of argument, let’s say BN closes on the recruiting class(even flips a couple on ESD), hires an OC, new OL, and a ST coordinator that the gator nation is optimistic/excited about and does well in the transfer portal. UF will still be a young team in 24 with an exceptionally brutal schedule. IMHO, a 7-5 year would be excellent in 2024, with improved play calling and an actual return to putting our best athletes on ST to affect sudden change on punt fakes, punt blocks etc.. Would that be seen as progress or is the W/L record the measuring stick?
There will be no excuses next year, regardless of strength of schedule.
In my opinion, anything less than 9-3 and he's gone.
The body of work isn't there. This is all on him.
His signature wins are Tennessee this year and Utah last year.

Once again, a HBC at UF should be in the hunt for the SEC championship every year. A HBC at UF should compete with ga , bama and lsu, every year.
A championship caliber HBC and staff don't lay an egg like we did yesterday, in their 2nd season.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
On that subject, does anyone else think Mertz drops back too far? I think it allows the DE’s an easier path to him than if he was up a couple of steps.
The drop is usually very deliberate so that everyone knows where "the pocket," forms and where the escape valves are. I would say this is on the QB Coach to perfect his drop back. It should be nearly as ingrained as the field goal kicker's steps.

ted

Aug 24, 2019

Once again, a HBC at UF should be in the hunt for the SEC championship every year. A HBC at UF should compete with ga , bama and lsu, every year.
A championship caliber HBC and staff don't lay an egg like we did yesterday, in their 2nd season.

Well, I guess UF will be firing their 3rd straight coach after 4 years or less of a tenure. I really don’t see a scenario where the Gators win 9 next year. If BN does get run off next year, it will be an exercise in futility unless Sasse takes a hard look at the history of this Athletic Department since 2010. The only way to truly set the program right is to hire a young, aggressive AD that recognizes that Football is money maker and treat it as such. An elite football program funds all of the diversity sports that the wine and cheese crowd crows about. If the Athletic Department is not revamped after the next inevitable coaching change, we are just spinning our wheels and will fire the next guy in late fall of 2028.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Well, I guess UF will be firing their 3rd straight coach after 4 years or less of a tenure. I really don’t see a scenario where the Gators win 9 next year. If BN does get run off next year, it will be an exercise in futility unless Sasse takes a hard look at the history of this Athletic Department since 2010. The only way to truly set the program right is to hire a young, aggressive AD that recognizes that Football is money maker and treat it as such. An elite football program funds all of the diversity sports that the wine and cheese crowd crows about. If the Athletic Department is not revamped after the next inevitable coaching change, we are just spinning our wheels and will fire the next guy in late fall of 2028.
I really have no comment on the President or AD at UF. I hated losing McGarity to Ga, but , he was a Ga grad.
Back to Napier.

I'm not sure how long you give a guy, that's obviously not a Championship caliber coach.
Please keep in mind, Napier could go 12-0 next year and prove to us all, he is indeed that type of coach.
The body of work so far, just doesn't show any evidence of a surprise next year.

College Football is littered with coaches that rose to the top, and didn't pan out.
Normally, a Championship caliber coach, shows great leaps in the second year. This is even more possible with the portal.
We aren't moving forward.

At some point, you need to make the decision to move on.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That's a problem.
It's most likely, Billy just doesn't have the dna to demand excellence. Doesn't really get after coaches underachieving, or players for that matter.

That video of Kimber passively covering and refusing to even try to tackle McConkey, smacks of Wilson throwing the shoe in the lsu game.
Not as blatant, But, the film is out there now. That soft puzzie wouldn't start for me the rest of the season.
Start? 8 wouldn’t be on my roster . He’s shameful . NPA has to be the motto.
No pussies allowed

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.