Fall Camp 2019: starting OT Jean Delance on crutches

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It's game week - fall camp is now over, so this thread is no longer featured.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
You realize that Drew Lock is in the NFL and Kelly Bryant is now their qb.....the guy who was benched in favor of a true freshman qb because he COULDN’T MAKE THE SAME THROWS AS A TRUE FRESHMAN. Understandably, that true freshman happened to be Trevor Lawrence, but still. Missouri won’t be throwing the ball 50 times a game, and if we get shredded by them, it’ll be because of Bryant’s legs, not his arm.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I was assured that the recruits were all getting in, but andsome would be late. I was also told that everyone loses 1/4 of the class by August.

All those assurances are probably as accurate as yours over the last decade. I mean, the original assurances before you went back and edited them for “quality control” purposes.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
All those assurances are probably as accurate as yours over the last decade. I mean, the original assurances before you went back and edited them for “quality control” purposes.
Riding the short bus with Crete, I see.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Again, nonsense. So with landing Cox, what does that do to our ‘18 class ranking? Zero sum game too, so now we really have bridged some of the gap with uga as their ‘18 class has taken several steps back. Add in Jefferson and Grimes neither of whom can be attributed to a previous class unless we’re crediting McElwain, and why aren't we singing DM’s praises for having the hands down best transition class we’ve ever had.

What is the actual ranking of our 2007 class when you subtract Finch(4*), Brown(4*, ended up at ut no less), Williams(4*), Newton(5*), Wilks(3*), and Wilson(3*). All were gone within 18 months or so. And that’s not even counting guys who did nothing like Waggener, Moses Jenkins, John Jones, Lorenzo Edwards and Torrey Davis who has one memorable play. It doesn’t really matter when they left, just that they left or were of no contribution.

We get it. It’s been an extraordinarily bad class in the way of how many didn’t get in, or are no longer here. But why not focus on who we did land and retain and see where the chips fall. Looking at ‘07 from that angle it looks terrible. As it is, it’s probably one of the most talented classes we’ve ever had. Nothing we can do at this point but look to the future. But trying to change a ranking, which is fluid across all of cfb, is pointless.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Please show me some classes that have lost 5 players?

Its rare to find one that has even lost two, prior to August.

As for Cox, are we counting him innthree classes now?

Putting a lot of weight in a kid who will sitout this year, and play maybe one year before going pro early.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Riding the short bus with Crete, I see.

Not really, just rolling with one of the long-standing conspiracy theories here... a theory that I neither fully support nor fully believe to be false. I mean, it’s a message board on the interwebs, so...

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Please show me some classes that have lost 5 players?

As for Cox, are we counting him innthree classes now?

Putting a lot of weight in a kid who will sitout this year, and play maybe one year before going pro early.

Losing several kids? I just did. I’m not playing by some arbitrary timeline that you’ve decided needs to be met. If these kids made it in, and then we’re booted or flunked out, that’s somehow perfectly acceptable? Please tell me this is not your argument.

As for Cox, why would a player not be assigned to whatever class he was originally in? I’ve not counted him in any other class. But yes, if we’re subtracting players from a particular ranking due to loss, it would only be logical to add incoming players in somewhere. Or we could just leave that alone, recognize the fluid nature of college football these days, and stop trying to assign a post signing rank, which was my original point.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Losing several kids? I just did..
Please, Im not talking about losing several kids over a few years and having noncontributors too.

We're still going to have all those things in this class too, more kids will leave and many will never contribute. Every class has those too, even the best classes.

The kids that are left in this class are the even higher risk prospects, those who are wide receivers who basically never caught a ball or defensive players who need to add 60 lb in order to hope to contribute.

You should probably get used to this WR class, bc this is what you get in this offense. come to UF to be a blocking wide receiver is never going to be an easy sell.

Frankly if you look at this class and think that Mullins is pointed toward a championship you have to be certifiably insane.

Oh yeah..... but he landed another Rush from UGly. That fixes it.

Last edited:

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017

This timing aspect is the problem. @soflagator is right that all classes suffer attrition over a 2-3 year period that would require a full blown study to normalize. But, by losing this many before the first fall we now have a substantially smaller class to absorb those inevitable future losses (whether due to injury, transfer, drugs, or dead girlfriends’ credit cards). It’s an issue and a historical anomaly.

Regarding the key question though, would you take these risks again/not accept their commitments, none of us know if these were good choices because we don’t know what the plan c choices were. As a start, other than maybe Steele or Hammond I doubt the others we’re plan A takes (Jones included), which is the bigger problem than just asking in a vacuum which of these guys’ commitments we would not take.

Edit - just saw SD basically posted the same thing while I was typing.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Please, Im not talking about losing several kids over a few years or have noncomtributors too.

We're still going to have all those things in this class too, more kids will leave and many will never contribute.

The kids that are left are the even higher risk prospects, those who are wide receivers who basically never caught a ball or defensive players who need to add 60 lb in order to hope to contribute.

Frankly if you look at this class and think that Mullins is pointed toward a championship you have to be certifiably insane.

Oh yeah..... but he landed another Rush from UGly. That fixes it.

Never refuted that we weren’t at great risk or that the margin for error wasn’t less than it was on NSD. Nor have I claimed that this class was the cornerstone of a championship, or that one player at one loaded position fixes things. I simply said re ranking classes makes no sense. We’ve indicted a coach for a class that hasn’t even played a down yet.

You’re obviously still drunk and are having a hard time keeping up. Get it together.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Never refuted that we weren’t at great risk or that the margin for error wasn’t less than it was on NSD. Nor have I claimed that this class was the cornerstone of a championship.
Well by his third and fourth year Mullinz will be relying on the 2018 and 2019 class as he coaches for his job. Hopefully Stricklin's job too, who knows if we'll even give a shyt anymore.

I said I really didn't care how the season went last year, though of course ending on a strong that was great, but what I wanted to see was an elite class.

Instead said what he produced a class produced is that makes Butters blush.

I don't see him making Year 5. I really dont. And our two-decade rebuild continues.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Well by his third and fourth year Mullinz will be relying on the 2018 and 2019 class as he coaches for his job. Hopefully Stricklin's job too, who knows if we'll even give a shyt anymore.

I said I really didn't care how the season went last year, though of course ending on a strong that was great, but what I wanted to see was an elite class.

Instead said what he produced a class produced is that makes Butters blush.

I don't see him making Year 5. I really dont. And our two-decade rebuild continues.

He needs a banner class this year, and right now it’s looking like that won’t happen. We’ll have to see. As for year 5, you may be right. But honestly, outside of a complete meltdown, I’d prefer he be here until we also have a different AD, because I have zero faith in him to make a better hire. In many respects, Mullen is looking like exactly what many thought. He’s going to win 8-11 games on his coaching but may never get any rings out of it. Hopefully, that changes, but who know. But again, like him or not, everyone should be pulling for him to at least find some success. Not only for the obvious reasons, but also so we don’t have Stricklin out there pounding the pavement for the next guy.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
, I’d prefer he be here until we also have a different AD, because I have zero faith in him to make a better hire.
Exactly. We just aren't going to be attractive to elite coaches.

Everyone on the planet knows we are not going to provide support whether asst coach salaries, support staff or facilities to make a run at being an elite program again.

The Muschump/McElstain/Mullinz era isnt an anomaly, it is the new norm, Im afraid.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Again, nonsense. So with landing Cox, what does that do to our ‘18 class ranking? Zero sum game too, so now we really have bridged some of the gap with uga as their ‘18 class has taken several steps back. Add in Jefferson and Grimes neither of whom can be attributed to a previous class unless we’re crediting McElwain, and why aren't we singing DM’s praises for having the hands down best transition class we’ve ever had.

What is the actual ranking of our 2007 class when you subtract Finch(4*), Brown(4*, ended up at ut no less), Williams(4*), Newton(5*), Wilks(3*), and Wilson(3*). All were gone within 18 months or so. And that’s not even counting guys who did nothing like Waggener, Moses Jenkins, John Jones, Lorenzo Edwards and Torrey Davis who has one memorable play. It doesn’t really matter when they left, just that they left or were of no contribution.

We get it. It’s been an extraordinarily bad class in the way of how many didn’t get in, or are no longer here. But why not focus on who we did land and retain and see where the chips fall. Looking at ‘07 from that angle it looks terrible. As it is, it’s probably one of the most talented classes we’ve ever had. Nothing we can do at this point but look to the future. But trying to change a ranking, which is fluid across all of cfb, is pointless.

There is no way to cherry pick it and other teams are getting portals also. The fact is Mullen's recruiting has been sub-par either because his staff isn't that good at it or because Foley's facilities mess really does affect recruiting that much. We wont be winning any SEC Championships or making any playoffs if it doesn't get better.

Mullen took a California dreamer and a bunch of kids that were likely not to get in to boost his recruiting ranking. I think we lost 5 of our top 10 highest rated recruits this class according to one of the ranking places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.